New, Bigger, V-8: True or False (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've heard rumors that Toyota will be coming out with a bigger V-8 to compete with the Nissan's new trucks and the domestics. Is this true? If so, what's the ETA on when it will be available? Any ideas of how big/how much hp/torque it will have?

True. It will be a 5.8 liter, 360 hp according to Truck Trend.

uzj100

When is it coming? Will the put it in the landcruiser? Any links to more info?

Thanks.

[quote author=ebod link=board=2;threadid=13007;start=msg120148#msg120148 date=1079124535]
When is it coming? Will the put it in the landcruiser? Any links to more info?

Thanks.
[/quote]

Well here you go from the Toyota website under careers:

Toyota's Alabama Engine Plant Adds Two To Management Team

July 24, 2003 -- Huntsville, AL -- Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Alabama (TMMAL) announces the addition of the following personnel to its management team:

Jim Bolte, vice president of information systems at Toyota's manufacturing office in Kentucky, has been assigned the additional responsibility of vice president of manufacturing and administration in Alabama.
Millie Marshall, who has worked in information systems and human resources within Toyota's Kentucky operations, joins TMMAL as general manager of administration. She will oversee human resources, corporate affairs, and accounting and finance.

TMMAL employs approximately 350 team members who began building the V8 engine for the Tundra pickup truck last May. The company recently announced expansion plans to build a V6 engine for the Tacoma and Tundra pickup trucks.

When expansion is complete in mid-2005, TMMAL will employ about 500, will have the capacity to build 120,000 V8 engines and 130,000 V6 engines annually, and will represent an investment of $240 million.

My guess is that the answer to your qestion then be sometime after mid 2005 therefore model year 2006

That will be nice if they made it for the UZJ100 for 2006, but aren't they going to discontinue the model because of the new FJ40? Or are they going to change the body style by 2006? It would seem pretty stupid to keep the 100 out on the market without any body changes (look old) or a new model that would replace the 100. My guess is that they are going to put the new enigine on the next land cruiser that would replace the UZJ100.

I doubt that you will see an engine of that displacement in a Cruiser. It will be used in trucks only.

Is it just me or it strange that Japanese cars are becoming more American than American cars? By buying American you support Mexico but buy buying Japanese you support America. Strange indeed.

Why? ???Surely it's worth applying it as an option for the upper end SUV line. In the Sequioa at least?

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=13007;start=msg120289#msg120289 date=1079140271]
I doubt that you will see an engine of that displacement in a Cruiser. It will be used in trucks only.
[/quote]

I think if it's in the Tundra you can bet it will be in the Sequoia. It's the same platform after all.

I bet it will go into the 3/4 and 1 ton model Tundra's. I want a diesel for the next LC.

Was BS'sing with someone from Toyota out of Portland. He was very sure the Cruiser was not going away, it will stay as a limited production vehical in the Toyota line up.......he said forever, it is Toyota's flagship vehical. I hope he is right. I suspect 2006-7 new model of the cruiser, 130 series?

gonna be seeing some hybred motors, dsl/elc making gobs of torque down low(mentioned 400lbs), this will prolly in the new Tundra, in 2006-7. ALso a new dsl for NA market, prolly in the Tundra/Sequaia(sp) platform

new 40 concept will be made in Mexico, 2006 model year.

I think the 5.8 ltr is going in the Sicion :flipoff2:

They need to get off their keesters and get going on a good diesel engine!!! :slap:

>> Jim Bolte, vice president of information systems ...
>> has been assigned the additional responsibility of vice president of manufacturing
>> and administration in Alabama.

>> Millie Marshall, ... information systems ... joins TMMAL
>> as general manager of administration.

Isn't it amazing how versatile these computer geeks can be?
COBOL programmer yesterday, VP of Manufacturing today. :D

-B-

Car and Driver also reported a new HYBRID V8 for the Tundra "and other Toyota trucks" for the 2006 model year. Can't remember the numbers but the Torque was unbelievably high due to the electric motor. Fuel econonmy was supposed to resemble a small 6 cylinder engine.

[quote author=warpdriv link=board=2;threadid=13007;start=msg120590#msg120590 date=1079191525]
They need to get off their keesters and get going on a good diesel engine!!! :slap:
[/quote]

Nah. My father-in-law in Japan (drives only toyota diesels) told me once Toyota tried making diesel engines, but they sucked. Instead, Toyota buys them from Hino, a maker of heavy trucks/buses. I'm not sure if this applies to passenger vehicles or trucks, but his Toyota dyna 4WD flatbed is completely Hino built w/ a Toyota badge, design life is 20 yrs of daily commercial use. Chassis resembles that of a 60 series, only much heavier duty (yes, Aisin manual hubs, recirc. ball steering, leaf-sprung front axle, super-low crawl ratios, all the stuff that's now a distant memory in the States). I suspect the 4.2L I-6 diesel engines for the 78/100 series are Hino built, as they both seem to use the same "laser" nomenclature on the Toyota and Hino advertising (can anyone confirm this?). I tried to find if the Dyna 4WD was sold in this country...nope. They are sold in Oz, though. In terms of payload capacity and probably offroad-ability, they'd beat a Tundra hands down. Size is about that of a F250 pickup, flat bed is really more like a shallow bed maybe 1.5 ft deep, but the sides flip down like the tailgate, making access superior to that of a conventional pickup or stakebed.

Easy there Beowulf,
You would be surprised how many people with business knowledge have moved over and back to the technical world. I have a Masters Degree in Agricultural Economics with a minor in Statistics and I ended up being a Sr. IT Systems Analyst after being a retail products buyer for several years. Heck, my wife has a degree in Animal Science and she is a Sr. Implementation Consultant for a software distributor. I would not be surprised if those people did not start off in the manufacturing sector before going to the IT department. At least you know they will improve the work processes when they get over there because they know what the system is capable of.

It's my understanding from web sources and some semi-knowledgeable Toyota contacts that the new, bigger engine option for FTX (Tundra replacement) will be a V-10 of around 5.9L displacement. IOW, a 2UZ with two more grafted on.

I believe the 2UZ is at it's bore limit now, so stroking or adding cylinders would be the answer. But I think the Toyota focus for the V-8 will be HSD (hybrid synergy drive) in the FTX. The V-10 petrol will be a Super Duty version option.

Incidentally, Toyota makes some spectacular diesels utilizing the new D4 direct injection system in EU. It makes some serious torque and exceeds emissions standards well into the future. Also, Toyota owns Hino, so no surprise about the brand durability.

I've been waiting for a Toyota diesel truck for the US for years. One of my first trucks was an '83 K5 blazer with the 6.2 which, granted, was a total POS, but it took the abuse of a 17 year old and kept going. I've had that thing more than 5 feet in the air on some sand dunes on Cape Hatteras :D Anyways, I drive an '03 F350 with the 12500 GVW package, and I have the 6.0 powerstroke. I love it! Power, fuel mileage, it's got it all. I just hope Toyota will give us something with comparable mileage/power to what we can already get (probably for cheaper) already.

-Jared

Toyota owns part(controlling interest) of Hino, if not all of it.

Yanmar Marine(and industrial) dsl are also similar to a Hino and Toyota dsl, Yanmar is also partly owned by Toyota I think.

John H

[quote author=Jim_Chow link=board=2;threadid=13007;start=msg123341#msg123341 date=1079639543]
Nah. My father-in-law in Japan (drives only toyota diesels) told me once Toyota tried making diesel engines, but they sucked. Instead, Toyota buys them from Hino, a maker of heavy trucks/buses. I'm not sure if this applies to passenger vehicles or trucks, but his Toyota dyna 4WD flatbed is completely Hino built w/ a Toyota badge, design life is 20 yrs of daily commercial use. Chassis resembles that of a 60 series, only much heavier duty (yes, Aisin manual hubs, recirc. ball steering, leaf-sprung front axle, super-low crawl ratios, all the stuff that's now a distant memory in the States). I suspect the 4.2L I-6 diesel engines for the 78/100 series are Hino built, as they both seem to use the same "laser" nomenclature on the Toyota and Hino advertising (can anyone confirm this?). I tried to find if the Dyna 4WD was sold in this country...nope. They are sold in Oz, though. In terms of payload capacity and probably offroad-ability, they'd beat a Tundra hands down. Size is about that of a F250 pickup, flat bed is really more like a shallow bed maybe 1.5 ft deep, but the sides flip down like the tailgate, making access superior to that of a conventional pickup or stakebed.
[/quote]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom