New BFG KM3. Thoughts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

74HogGuy

Lifetime Rookie
Threads
Just thought I'd put this right here...
KM3.jpg

Looks like BFG is coming with a new KM3 Mud Terrain sometime this month to follow the launch of the KO2s.

Are you referring to the Baja tire? That tire has been around FOREVER, and it's not going to be called the KM3 it will be called the KR2 as it's an evolution of the old tire that's been raced on for probably decades. It's an off road racing tire that I believe you can't even buy smaller than a 35 or a 37.

http://www.bfgoodrichracing.com/desert-racing-bfgoodrich-baja-ta-kr2/

Close up from the Patrol site:
KM3 - 2.jpg

Looks decent. I think the side lugs on the KM2 are sweet looking but make the tire too "rounded" at the shoulder. These look to have a more biting square profile.

I did notice an F150 on OE size tires yesterday and thought..." what tires are those? " since the sidewalls / lugs looked mean. Just a set of KO2s! I was impressed. I think the update on the KMs is a good one. Will help a lot climbing rocks at an angle or running the side of a gulch/rut IMO

Some slight tread variation from the KM2. After reading about the new impressive technologies and materials in the new K02, it is probably incorporated into the new KM3. Good stuff!

Close up from the Patrol site:
View attachment 1058741

My mistake - thanks for pointing that out. I'm actually astounded that BFG went from the KM1 to KM2 to a new tire so fast considering they typically keep their designs for decades without revision :D

My mistake - thanks for pointing that out. I'm actually astounded that BFG went from the KM1 to KM2 to a new tire so fast considering they typically keep their designs for decades without revision :D
They seem to be a little faster on the mud terrains. The KM2 came out in 2008 and the KM came out in approximately 2001 (?). So 7 year span, and we are at 7 years now again. The ATs have the longer iterations, the KO came out in ~2002 and only came out with the KO2 late last year.

Link to more info anyone?
All I was able to find is this same image at a couple different places (Patrol4x4 above and Pirate4x4). Some commenters on those sites said "end of April for some common sizes with other sizes later", but I don't have any idea on reliability of that information.

These have been in the "BFG top secret rumor mill" for a while...believe I got my first sneak peek in Sept :)

The KO2/KR2/KM3 sidewalls are all the same...and are FAR improved. The Canguro 200-series SCORE truck runs KR2's and we had a sidewall slice at the midpoint of the Baja 1000 (right front)...left the tire on for the remainder of the race with no issues (and I'll wager it was still on for the Mint as well)

I am thoroughly impressed with my KO2's...can't wait to see these in action!

Confirmed with BFG: new design/pattern is not done, and will not be available until 2017

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom