New Belts and Idler Pulleys(Grinding Noise) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry for the ignorance but how do you post videos on here? Would I have to upload to YouTube then post link here?

Most likely if it was on wrong it would make noise all the time.
Have you check the inside of the fan shroud ?

Yes YouTube then a link on here

Most likely if it was on wrong it would make noise all the time.
Have you check the inside of the fan shroud ?

Yes YouTube then a link on here
Broski,

I did check inside fan shroud… it’s dusty and I can’t find anywhere that looks rubbed.

Thanks

B46DCE51-6F46-40EC-86CD-F2683B29AA82.jpeg

458263FC-885D-4A78-BD44-EF1EC17AA565.jpeg

Just started vehicle cold and revved it to take video and it didn’t make the sound after maybe 10 revs… put 80 in drive with brake on and revved it under load and no weird sound… put 80 back in park revved it again and it made the grinding/scraping noise after every rev around 1500rpm. I’ll try to post vid soon.

Yeah doesn't sound like belts...I'd have someone else rev it while you can peek around/under the engine to see if you can pin point where it's coming from
Weird thing is it didn’t make this sound until I changed belts/pulleys

How freely should fan spin when vehicle is off and should there be any front to back play when pushing and pulling on tip of fan blade?

Not very free unless the oil inside is completely shot. There is a resistance

Front to back on the blade itself or the base where it's connected? The blades are plastic so there can be front/back play if you push hard enough.
It should be mounted 100% solid, no play from the base

Not very free unless the oil inside is completely shot. There is a resistance

Front to back on the blade itself or the base where it's connected? The blades are plastic so there can be front/back play if you push hard enough.
It should be mounted 100% solid, no play from the base

Good video, that is way too much movement of your fan, way too much.

The fan needs to be tightened up. I’m not sure on an 80, but on my 60 it’s fairly easy to access the nuts in Stu…tight but doable. Someone with 80 experience will chime in.

@FzeeJ : Looks like the shaft/bearing of the fan clutch is bad, need a new fan clutch. I would not run the engine until it's been replaced.

Would be interesting to see another video once you pull the fan clutch and remove the fan showing the movement of the clutch body on it's shaft.

One source of a new AISIN fan clutch:

Last edited:
Eek!!

cheers,
george.

Another video of noise closer to engine now that I had my wife pressing the pedal.

Also it doesn't make this sound during revs until the engine has been running for about a minute. Smooth as silk revving until it’s been running for around 1 minute.

That is an aftermarket fan clutch and it is trashed. That needs to go before it blasts through the radiator and/or hood.

Thanks guys… Do you think the fan clutch could be the culprit for the noise before I start removing the new belts back off and diving in further.

Thanks guys… Do you think the fan clutch could be the culprit for the noise before I start removing the new belts back off and diving in further.
I would definitely start with the fan clutch. Everything else looked OK to me. But that... WOW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom