New Belts and Idler Pulleys(Grinding Noise) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sounds like it's that fan clutch and bearing then. After the motor runs for a minute or so, the fan is supposed to unlock and free spin. Maybe why it doesn't make that noise at first? Definitely replace that thing before it "modifies" your radiator. I did that once with a bad motor mount :doh:

I'd get that fan clutch out of there 'Pronto' (that's Texan for 'right now'. ;)

Yep, don't run the engine and replace ASAP.

That is a nun-killer if I've ever seen one...

cheers,
george.

I’ve got the fan clutch on order and I’ll update after it’s on and running… Hopefully this will solve my 80s mystery noise. Thanks for all the help.

Do NOT operate the vehicle until that has been replaced. It is a ticking time-bomb.

You can Pull the fan and fan clutch and run it for a short amount of time to confirm that is the only issue.
Just make sure that you reinstall the pulley and belts, and keep a eye on temps ;)

^^^
This is what I would suggest. That way you will know if you’ve found the total issue or if you need to keep looking after the new fan clutch.

I would also look closely at the waterpump. That clutch flopping around can't be good for the pump shaft and seal.

Ok guys after changing the fan clutch all is quite now so that seemed to fix the issue… Appreciate all the help! I’ll reopen thread if sound comes back after further driving. Thanks again.

I’ll also post a pic of the old fan clutch once it came out compared to new.

9C0977C4-6894-41AC-AE11-FA4F86C0B348.jpeg

E223C17A-965F-4BDB-9C94-0C423397BE23.jpeg

1394365C-CE9C-4876-AC95-693895035F00.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom