New battery, new starter, power, no click, no start... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I looked through the forums to no avail, so I am starting a new thread. If there is a thread out, my apologies.

I have a 2000 Land Cruiser with 313,000 miles. It is very well taken care of with all deferred maintenance up to date. If this thread is duplicative, my apologies.

My car has a new battery, new starter, good alternator, power, no click, and no start. The famous immobilizer issue has also been ruled out. Any ideas, or suggestions?

This issue reared its ugly head about a week and started after five cranks. Yesterday, it didn't start, I switched the key around, and then it started. I turned it off, and it wouldn't start for the rest of the evening.

I went out this morning to start it, and it worked and turned it off after 10 minutes. Two hours later, it won't start.

I am thinking it might be something electrical. Has anyone seen this before? If so, what was it?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Is it cranking at all? OR cranking but not starting? How are your battery terminals? Does it start with a jump? Do the interior lights ( center stack) dim with you try cranking? Do you have a volt meter to tell you what voltage it is at ?

You could try shifting to neutral and starting.

No crank, no start...

Battery terminals good, and interior lights don't dim.

On a whim, I just tapped the fuse for the starter relay, and it started. I turned it off, restarted, and it worked.

I am researching how to test the fuse and tracking down a new one. I will update.

Thank you

No crank, no start...

Battery terminals good, and interior lights don't dim.

On a whim, I just tapped the fuse for the starter relay, and it started. I turned it off, restarted, and it worked.

I am researching how to test the fuse and tracking down a new one. I will update.

Thank you
Yeah starter relay is a definite suspect in this case. I think one of the other under hood relays is the exact same--maybe swap one out with the starter relay to test?

I tapped on the starter relay, and it started. It started the five subsequent times I went to start it.

Before starting it a sixth time, I tapped it a second time, and now it won't start. I am trying to track down a starter relay. I will update, when I have new information.

Thank you, KliersLC.

Bad connection somewhere in that starter power circuit. I'd start by cleaning and prying out (proud or tighter, however you wish to describe)the terminals for the starter relay and/or the fuse and troubleshoot from there. You may be able to connect a DMM at points in that circuit to see where the break is. Good luck and update as you gather data.

Bad connection somewhere in that starter power circuit. I'd start by cleaning and prying out (proud or tighter, however you wish to describe)the terminals for the starter relay and/or the fuse and troubleshoot from there. You may be able to connect a DMM at points in that circuit to see where the break is. Good luck and update as you gather data.
I ordered a new starter relay today, which I should receive tomorrow morning. If that doesn't work, I plan on looking at the connections into the starter starting with the ground wire. I remember when I installed the starter a few months ago thinking that it looked pretty flimsy.

I was able to remove the starter relay in anticipation of receiving the new one. There was not much room to work with and it was attached to the fuse box with two small hooks. As a result, it was much more than just pulling it out of the fuse box. It took me awhile to realize this.

The relay itself was in perfect condition with no corrosion, or dirt whatsoever. However, the plastic was very brittle and one of the hooks broke as i was removing it from the vehicle.

I will report my findings and keep everyone updated. Thank you to all of you who provided feedback.

It turns out it was not the starter relay. I just put in a new one and no go.... I can safely eliminate it, at this point.

At this point, I am going to look at the ground into the starter and associated connections.

Sixspeed, I also saw the video on the fuse box and just might order one, just in case.

Let me know if you have any additional ideas.

It turns out it was not the starter relay. I just put in a new one and no go.... I can safely eliminate it, at this point.

At this point, I am going to look at the ground into the starter and associated connections.

Sixspeed, I also saw the video on the fuse box and just might order one, just in case.

Let me know if you have any additional ideas.
Tonight, I put my head under the hood and had my son try to start the car. I noticed that there was a faint click coming from the fuse box. I then tapped the IG1 No. 1 fuse, and nothing. I then tapped the IG1 No. 2 fuse right next to it, and it started. I will pick up an ignition relay tomorrow morning, and report back.

Tonight, I put my head under the hood and had my son try to start the car. I noticed that there was a faint click coming from the fuse box. I then tapped the IG1 No. 1 fuse, and nothing. I then tapped the IG1 No. 2 fuse right next to it, and it started. I will pick up an ignition relay tomorrow morning, and report back.
If you are thinking about ECD Main Relay 85915-30050, then it is not responsible for cranking. You can do the test I mentioned to you before if you think this relay could be the culprit. Can you find out which relay is giving the faint click by touching the relays one at a time, or 2 at a time if you use 2 fingers?

Medtro,

Good to hear from you.

The car is starting now after tapping the IG1 No. 2 fuse. I have tried to duplicate the issue over 10 times now and tapped on the fuse. It starts every time.

The fuse that I tapped is shown below in the number #3 position right above the green fuse.

I am hoping that the car doesn't start so that I can confirm which relay it is. What do you think?

Thank you,
Todd

JBcowl1-1024x764.png

The fuse that I tapped is shown below in the number #3 position right above the green fuse.
That is a relay not a fuse. The green one is a relay too. The relay could be the culprit, but you tapped on the starter relay too before and that turned out to be not the problem. With the starter relay eliminated as not the issue, this IG1 No. 2 relay may be is your problem.

I have ordered the IG1 and IG2 relays from the dealer, just in case. They are $31 each. I really hope this is it.

A couple of things I would do differently the next time around:

1. Listen under the hood earlier in the troubleshooting process.
2. Before assuming it is the starter relay, test the ignition relays. There are three in the 100 series, two in the engine compartment and the third is behind the heater core on the passenger side of the dashboard.
3. When troubleshooting, tap each relay one at a time and try to start the car. When testing the first time, I am pretty sure I tapped each relay at least twice before trying to start the car. This way, you can isolate which relay. The starter relay is a $114 part from the dealer.

Perhaps, I should be waiting to post lessons learned before it is actually fixed, but oh well.

Thanks for your help Medtro.

EWD shows IG1 No. 2 relay doesn't go any where close to starter or related to cranking. With no crank, I would focus on starter relay, 30A starter fuse, 30A AM2 fuse, fusible link, and connections between battery, starter and neutral position switch.

Can you try to start with transmission shifter in "N" position when it fails to crank again?

You should be able to return the unused new relays.

EWD shows IG1 No. 2 relay doesn't go any where close to starter or related to cranking. With no crank, I would focus on starter relay, 30A starter fuse, 30A AM2 fuse, fusible link, and connections between battery, starter and neutral position switch.

Can you try to start with transmission shifter in "N" position when it fails to crank again?

You should be able to return the unused new relays.
It has failed to crank, again. I moved the transmission shifter to the neutral position, and it did not crank.

I also put my ear to IG1 No. 2 relay, and tried to crank the vehicle. The click was very pronounced in the IG1 No. 2 relay.

I have a new starter relay installed, so I can cross that off the list. I will look into the 30A starter, and AM2 fuses, moving down your list.

Thanks again, Medtro.

I was able to solve the problem with Medtro's help. Thanks again, Medtro.

The issue is the Neutral Position Sensor. In also upgraded the battery terminals to marine terminals and the difference is night and day. It took about an hour and half and cost less than $15. I will be doing this modification on all my cars.

Moderators, please feel free to mark this thread as solved.

I was able to solve the problem with Medtro's help. Thanks again, Medtro.

The issue is the Neutral Position Sensor. In also upgraded the battery terminals to marine terminals and the difference is night and day. It took about an hour and half and cost less than $15. I will be doing this modification on all my cars.

Moderators, please feel free to mark this thread as solved.
Glad it worked for you man. Had same issue in my 99', wish I would've seen this a whole lot sooner and saved some $$$...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom