New Battery Cables and Fusible Link (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have purchased a set of Forerrunner's heavy duty battery cables for my dead 1985 project. Very nice. My truck is not running yet, but I can tell the fusible link is shot because the previous owner bypassed it (at least to the alternator). I have secured a new fusible link, and I would like to see how others have wired it in to the positive battery connection when installing Forerrunner's cables. The original wiring had it going to the post with a gunked up connection of some kind. I have searched for the connectors for the fusible link (the connections on either end to the vehicle harness and the positive post), but as far as I can tell they are no longer available, so may have to reuse the old ones. How are people wiring in the fusible link with new cables?

Thank you,

Hi @booradley , I wish I had a better photo for you but this is all I have at the moment.

The fusible link has a single heavy gage wire (black 12AWG?) leading to the positive battery terminal.

I used high quality 12AWG wire (red) and soldered that to the existing single 12AWG (black) wire on the fusible link to extend it. Then soldered a ring terminal to that, I heat shrink-ed the connections and finally attached the ring terminal to the @Forerunner battery terminal clamp.

HPg0JTV.jpg

You will see the Forerunner cable then two additional 12AWG red wires, one is the fusible link and the other is the power cable for a 12V outlet in the rear cargo area.

I hope that helps!

Last edited:
The Matt’s will have OEM solution for you very soon

Fj60's are the first vehicles I've seen or realized used this idea of a fusible link and I think its pretty old school tech. I think if you are going to replace your battery cables and terminals you might as well replace the fusible link with a fuse or circuit breaker setup.

Fj60's are the first vehicles I've seen or realized used this idea of a fusible link and I think its pretty old school tech. I think if you are going to replace your battery cables and terminals you might as well replace the fusible link with a fuse or circuit breaker setup.

Not a bad idea!

Anyone know the fuse amperage equivalent of each "link"? Plenty of room to do that.

You've really never seen fusible links on another vehicle? Not only does every domestic vehicle before about 1990 have them, so do tons of euro stuff today

You've really never seen fusible links on another vehicle? Not only does every domestic vehicle before about 1990 have them, so do tons of euro stuff today
I've seen them before just not at the battery like in the LC. I think the ones ive seen were on smaller circuits. But I couldn't tell you of an example.

Hi @booradley , I wish I had a better photo for you but this is all I have at the moment.

The fusible link has a single heavy gage wire (black 12AWG?) leading to the positive battery terminal.

I used high quality 12AWG wire (red) and soldered that to the existing single 12AWG (black) wire on the fusible link to extend it. Then soldered a ring terminal to that, I heat shrink-ed the connections and finally attached the ring terminal to the @Forerunner battery terminal clamp.

HPg0JTV.jpg

You will see the Forerunner cable then two additional 12AWG red wires, one is the fusible link and the other is the power cable for a 12V outlet in the rear cargo area.

I hope that helps!
Thanks! This is exactly what I needed to see. I thought this was where it was headed just needed confirmation.

The Matt’s will have OEM solution for you very soon
How soon? Would love to see it. Fusible link is new but the connectors on both ends are not and I've looked for replacements but having no luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom