new batteries (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This morning I went to start my cruiser and it was dead. there wasn't enough juice int he batteries to turn it over. I had noticed that it has bveen getting progressively harder to start int he morning and that the batteries seemed to be draining.

so my question is,
where is the best (cheapest) place in town to get the best batteries (which are??) for my 61 series?

I heard marine gel or red top optimas are the best. is that true?

thanks,
now i have something to discuss tomorrow night too!

Is that 24v or 12v? I've heard the Optimas are don't like the series 24v set-up...

I had noticed that it has bveen getting progressively harder to start int he morning and that the batteries seemed to be draining.

Are you sure your charging system is working?

Hmmm.

Good timing. I was planning on getting a new set for my 74 tomorrow. The batteries that are in it currently are of the blue top variety. Don't know how long they have been in the truck (I just bought it this fall) but they didn't last too long this winter. I should have gotten new ones earlier, but I don't use the truck much so I have just been hooking them up to the charger the day before I plan on driving it. I, for one, can't justify the price of the optimas.

I have had good luck with Rocky Battery. They are located on 86th St (just around the corner from 4 wheel). Bought some for my dodge a few years ago from there. So far so good. They are just simple no-name batteries but they seem to get the job done. Oh, and they are relatively inexpensive as well.

I used to spend extra for the fancier batteries, but at the rate these 24V trucks seem to go through them I just can't justify it anymore (currently I have 3 trucks with dual batteries = $$$). That said, I would make sure you don't have a drain and the charging system is working before you spend money on a new set.

Costco sells optima for a decent price.
I run dual yellows wired in parallel.
Also battery doctor near apple glass on 63rd, near the old adam's pick your part is pretty good for no name gel batteries.
Remember that the CCA rating is reduced by half after -20C temperatures.

Seem's like alot of people give Optimas a bad rap, I've been using red and yellow tops for years and have nothing bad to say about them, and yes Costco sells them for $180?.

Seem's like alot of people give Optimas a bad rap, I've been using red and yellow tops for years and have nothing bad to say about them, and yes Costco sells them for $180?.

as opposed to mopac that sells them in the 230$ range !
exploitation to the max.

Jammer-try to run battery blankets. they help out to get the full cranking power in these crazy temps.
Dash distributors sells them at a decent price.

Thanks for all the quick replies. I do have batterey blankets on them but i fear that this weeks cold temps was just too much for them. I tried started it tonight after i got home and it was plugged in all day and it started fine. no problems.

I think I will take it to rocky batteries and have them check the batteries. once i do that, i'll see if i need to replace them or can wait it out. defenitely lot's of choices in batteries though.

see you at the trap and gill!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom