New Badland Apex 12,000 lb. Winch (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks like what was reported above about HF is correct. I just bought a vice from the local HF over the weekend and despite searching couldn't find a coupon. One model was on "instant savings" but was sold out. Its too bad they are changing business models because it seems their prices are increasing and the lack of a 20% off coupon makes their products quite a bit less appealing, IMO.

Looks like this is $100 off for spring sale.
9616A94F-8878-49E7-9A28-6E284889138D.jpeg

I bought this winch and installed it vertically in an ARB bull bar on a 91’ 80 series. So, far, I have only load wound it and have used it only once to test it on an uphill pull, but was not stuck. I did have to make some shims so it would fit. ARB does sell a shim/ spacer kit, though.
5D8855FC-5447-42D3-A532-96DF3986BE94.jpeg
D69FE055-8636-4910-B403-EB08F372EC47.jpeg
F1C6BDD5-3384-4175-B527-BC82CC4919E8.jpeg

Last edited:
good looking out @dkscism. Headed there after work!

$517 after tax. Yeah buddy! I was going to just order it online. But I live really close to a HF, saved me the $7 shipping cost.

9E10E7F5-A386-493E-B43A-2102B8AC0756.jpeg

5FC34AF3-2265-4B93-8D1D-356193594ACC.jpeg

DC8C821B-8750-46D2-B3EB-0BFF90A25DC1.jpeg

Sorry, didn't think I saw it answered. Can anyone confirm if the lever can be clocked? I'd need to install feet forward on an ARB (Not on an LC but asking here...).

Sorry, didn't think I saw it answered. Can anyone confirm if the lever can be clocked? I'd need to install feet forward on an ARB (Not on an LC but asking here...).
I see no way to clock it. Reference my video if you want to get a look. It has an asymmetric bolt pattern on the housing.

I bought this winch and installed it vertically in an ARB bull bar on a 91’ 80 series. So, far, I have only load wound it and have used it only once to test it on an uphill pull, but was not stuck. I did have to make some shims so it would fit. ARB does sell a shim/ spacer kit, though.View attachment 2681569View attachment 2681571View attachment 2681572

Can you post of pic of where your clutch lever is? Can you get to it easily? Also how thick is the spacer you used to fit it in the arb?
Have you used the winch yet?

I'm debating on getting the apex for my fzj80 with arb. But worried about fitment.

I thought about just getting the old steel roller fairlead style and converting it. This would come out to about the same price after buying synthetic rope and fairlead but would end up being a little lighter and I know it fits.

Can you post of pic of where your clutch lever is? Can you get to it easily? Also how thick is the spacer you used to fit it in the arb?
Have you used the winch yet?

I'm debating on getting the apex for my fzj80 with arb. But worried about fitment.

I thought about just getting the old steel roller fairlead style and converting it. This would come out to about the same price after buying synthetic rope and fairlead but would end up being a little lighter and I know it fits.
The clutch lever is very easy to access. ARB makes spacers, but i made a set of six from 1/4 inch steel. I’ve used the winch a half dozen times; wired and wireless; no issues yet.

7EC70E90-60AC-45DE-B116-C4545EA8DDB7.jpeg

FF2F4ACB-5F18-4DF7-82EC-9DF6BB5B57E4.jpeg

8C9DF106-1C63-4AB9-9A2E-C7E85959DFCA.jpeg

So I ended up picking one of these winches up for 275$ off a classified ad new in box. But I have a FJ62 new style ARB and I don’t have the separate holes or space for the fairlead bolts. Can I just run a bolt through the fairlead directly to the feet of the winch and be OK? (In the pic the screwdriver is simulating the bolt running through the fairlead, then through the bumper, then to the bottom foot of the winch). I would assume so but I am not 100% sure. Any help would be appreciated! I don’t really want to drill a separate hole for the fairlead and space the winch out so I can bolt on the fairlead. Make sense? Thanks!!
25519520-4B5B-4490-AD60-36173090CCD0.jpeg

I’m running the winch feet to the front 👍🏼
BA2D49CD-35E0-4A94-B01F-85315D469FBB.jpeg

So I ended up picking one of these winches up for 275$ off a classified ad new in box. But I have a FJ62 new style ARB and I don’t have the separate holes or space for the fairlead bolts. Can I just run a bolt through the fairlead directly to the feet of the winch and be OK? (In the pic the screwdriver is simulating the bolt running through the fairlead, then through the bumper, then to the bottom foot of the winch). I would assume so but I am not 100% sure. Any help would be appreciated! I don’t really want to drill a separate hole for the fairlead and space the winch out so I can bolt on the fairlead. Make sense? Thanks!!
View attachment 2797614
I’m running the winch feet to the front 👍🏼
View attachment 2797618
I ran my winch bolts through the fairlead but had to buy longer bolts. The rule is there should be as many bolt threads in the foot (that square nut) to equal the diameter of the bolt.

Finally added this winch onto my rig... Hooked it up and relocated the control box behind the back of my bumper with a zip tie and some silicone . Re-wrapped the winch under tension with the FJ80 in the background looking neglected haha. Came with super high-quality parts and I had to grind the sides of the fairlead about a 16th on each side to fit into the ARB fairlead spot... I also had to trim the bottom bumper fairlead lip where the fairlead sits because the lip was higher than the fairlead and it was starting to do damage to my rope so I trimmed that and it's perfect! I bought a few recovery straps and tree savers and I'm ready to go. Still need to pick up a snatch block, a couple of shackles, and some front tow points from trail tailor but that's it...
801FF43C-CDBB-4FC8-84BD-B51C11B32676.PNG

Sorry if this has been answered but the conversation seemed to get off topic for awhile. Can anybody confirm or deny if the HF Apex 12k synthetic can be clocked? I know the old design can but not certain if the new one can. If I had to guess I would say. I bit would love some real world info.

Sorry if this has been answered but the conversation seemed to get off topic for awhile. Can anybody confirm or deny if the HF Apex 12k synthetic can be clocked? I know the old design can but not certain if the new one can. If I had to guess I would say. I bit would love some real world info.

Check 9 comments back to #230, seems no.

I bought this winch and installed it vertically in an ARB bull bar on a 91’ 80 series. So, far, I have only load wound it and have used it only once to test it on an uphill pull, but was not stuck. I did have to make some shims so it would fit. ARB does sell a shim/ spacer kit, though.View attachment 2681569View attachment 2681571View attachment 2681572

How long did you go with the screws from Fairlead into winch ?

I got some 40MM from Napa , but that was before I realized that I was going to have to use the same holes in bumper for winch mount and fairlead.

Also what are you using on the back end , in the winch same nuts provided by Harbor Freight?

Also did you remove this part from the truck?( Sub assembly front end) , on my 8o the attachment in middle of front end I broke screw trying to get it out , so I just bent it up , but is still resting on the top of the winch.

front_sub_assembly.PNG

fairlead_mock_up_1.jpg

rubbing_front_assembly.jpg

winch_mock_up_1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom