New B 66 rear axle rebuild advice wanted (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1966toylet

SILVER Star
Threads
I appreciate any input.
My brother is doing quite a bit of custom work on my 40 and asked that I look into purchasing a rebuilt rear axle for my 66 40. Instead of purchasing one I would like to learn how to rebuild some things myself, is tackling a rear axle (upgrading all components including disc brakes) too much for a beginner? Want to strengthen due to larger, super heavy 9.0 XZL tires
9234E637-4177-4852-9588-CFBCAFE1B570.jpeg

D7B421C4-F451-4FE7-8767-D4CF0AD667E4.jpeg

I appreciate any input.
My brother is doing quite a bit of custom work on my 40 and asked that I look into purchasing a rebuilt rear axle for my 66 40. Instead of purchasing one I would like to learn how to rebuild some things myself, is tackling a rear axle (upgrading all components including disc brakes) too much for a beginner? Want to strengthen due to larger, super heavy 9.0 XZL tiresView attachment 2721289

View attachment 2721285
I doubt you will damage the stock rear end with those

But it looks like your rear quarters will get damaged by the tires.

Do you think a beginner can take on the task of cleaning up diff etc and disc conversion and possibly locker?
With the help of Mud Members no problem

It all depends on how patient you can be and how well you can follow directions. Get a copy of a field service manual and be ready to spend some money on some tools you may not have. It's really not super complicated just need the right tools. There are several threads covering the subjects.

It all depends on how patient you can be and how well you can follow directions. Get a copy of a field service manual and be ready to spend some money on some tools you may not have. It's really not super complicated just need the right tools. There are several threads covering the subjects.
Thanks Byron, I’ve searched the site and didn’t find much. Maybe I’m searching the wrong titles, what should I search? I’d love to buy some new tools. Thanks

Thanks Byron, I’ve searched the site and didn’t find much. Maybe I’m searching the wrong titles, what should I search? I’d love to buy some new tools. Thanks
Well until you can find a paper copy this link will get you a .PDF version. Just click on the "Download" button on the top right of the page. It should be close enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom