1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New ARB rack!!

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by TrustyToyota, Mar 3, 2007.

1. TrustyToyota

TrustyToyota

I just picked up my new (slightly used) ARB rack for my 80!!! I have been researching a little on here, and just love the rack so I couldn't resist (especially for the price!). I got the rack, with the mesh floor and all of the mounting hardware in the package. The rack is in great condition with no scratches or anything. I have a couple questions for all rack owners out there.

1. What did you do about the old holes in the roof from the factory rack?
    2. Did you have any rust or bare metal from the factory rack and what did you do about that?

I found some short, 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch machine screws with the same threads as the holes in the roof, so I squirted caulk into the holes and threaded the screws. That should do for now until I get some more time. I still have some marks on the roof from the feet, and want to take care of that. Here are some pics, the last one is the mark from the feet. Sorry about the bad night pics!!!
    DSC_0557aa.jpg DSC_0558.jpg DSC_0559aa.jpg

2. F0RSAKEN

F0RSAKEN

First off, love the rack, it looks awesome!! Congrats on purchase.

How much weight is that thing rated to hold, mounted to the rain gutter like that?

3. TrustyToyota

TrustyToyota

I don't know the exact specs, but I know it is quite a bit. The guy I bought the rack from said he has had 2 adults and 2 kids up there at the same time with out any issues. Just from install, the rack is very well built. I guess its just a question of the rain gutters!
    -TT

4. flem0061

flem0061

NICE!

I was very very close to picking that rack up (guy had it stored Richfield right?) on Thursday night but the snow was coming down and I had to re-think whether I wanted/needed the heavy thing up there for our trip this Friday.

I'll be rigging something up there and promise to post pictures.

Congrats on your new rack!

5. TrustyToyota

TrustyToyota

Yep, the rack came out of Richfield. It is a heavy one, but it will definately take a load!

6. Cruising@5280

Cruising@5280

Nice rack! If you got it off CL good job, if the guy would of called me back it would be on my truck! Looks great.

7. concretejungle

concretejungle SILVER Star

nice purchase! THat's the same rack i've got. I've had a good load on top: spare tire, 10 gallons gas, axe, hatchet, 2 full coolers, chain saw, shovel, fire wood and me.

8. TrustyToyota

TrustyToyota

Concrete-

How did you handle the removal of the factory rack? I'm looking for some options before I do anything for good.
    thanks,
    -TT

9. Grench

Grench SILVER Star

What I did about my roof rack & spoiler.

• Remove screws from roof rack & remove.
    • Put in 1/4" allen head machine screws wrapped heavily in teflon tape.
    • Remove rail screws & rails.
    • Remove spoiler -note! There are 3 screws per side on the spoiler! The third one is hidden.
    • Spend 4 hours with a heat gun and pieces of cardboard scraping off the gummy crap left behind.
    • Drive it to the LineX shop
    • Give LineX guy $$$.
    • Admire the whole roof done in color matched LineX.

Yes, it takes a long time to get that glue crap off the roof. Others have had the holes welded and then the roof refinished/painted at a body shop.

10. TrustyToyota

TrustyToyota

Grench,
    That would be a possibility AFTER college, but for now, the majority of the $$$ will be going to the great institution of Minnesota. I might try to get the rails off, due to the way the roof looked after removing the feet and cross bars. I do like the teflon tape idea, thanks,
    -TT

Anyone else out there with some ideas? or experiences?

11. Mars

Mars

There's a few threads about it. A cheap and decent way to do it is to get some plugs, coat them with silicone, and call it good. I'm not sure exactly what they call them, but they are usually a durable clear plastic, and are shaped like a mushroom...if that makes any sense. You end up with flush plastic caps over all your screw holes, and that's about it.

Or you could just ghetto it like me, and cover them with color matched ducktape. Lasts about a month or two and then I replace...heh. Cheap. It doesn't rain in Las Vegas anyhow.
    :flipoff2:

12. Mars

Mars

13. TrustyToyota

TrustyToyota

Mars-
    Great thread, don't know why I didn't find that one in my searching!!! I actually had to cut one of my screws because the threaded cert in the roof was spinning with the screwdriver. I like the idea of getting them welded closed, but the plugs should do the trick for awhile. I'm assuming plenty of silicon wont kill my paint, right?
    -TT