New ARB BASE roof rack (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Following - would love to hear how people are liking their new base racks, wind noise, mounting existing boxes, and anything else.

Following - would love to hear how people are liking their new base racks, wind noise, mounting existing boxes, and anything else.
I do like the ARB Base Rack a lot. I don't hear any wind noise coming from the roof rack with the wind deflector--even at 75-80mph. Without the wind deflector though I did hear wind noise so the wind deflector is a must have. Only noise I hear at highway speed is a pesky little whistling noise coming into the cab from the passenger side mirror (just needs to be sealed up), but this noise is unrelated to the roof rack. Even loaded up with two 20L Scepter jerry cans of water and two 20L jerry cans of fuel, a full 20lb propane gas bottle, a mini propane fire pit, camping gear, etc, I could not hear any noises coming from the load or the roof rack at highway speed. So needless to say I don't have any buyers remorse and based on my experience with the ARB Base Rack I would recommend and give it a thumbs up.
049EFB29-D53D-4401-933A-CF9A2CCEAC42_1_105_c.jpeg
F53A471A-D36D-42B5-9988-5C4FA82784FF_1_105_c.jpeg
A5718A3F-EE58-4CF6-9200-D9B9A0BC38FE_1_105_c.jpeg
34798DEB-FF20-4605-9422-0EFFEFE46025_1_105_c.jpeg
6CF18CA7-C4D0-40C9-BC6F-290F0A815045_1_105_c.jpeg

Since the last trip in the pics above I've added a full length ARB Awning and also moved the rack toward the rear a bit and still don't hear any noises from it at highway speed.

Since the last trip in the pics above I've added a full length ARB Awning and also moved the rack toward the rear a bit and still don't hear any noises from it at highway speed.
Great photos! Appreciate the review as well. Did you ever figure out how to use your Thule box (if I'm remembering correctly)? I've wanted an awning for a while so good to hear it hasn't introduced any new noises. I assume it mounts well since they are both ARB.

Sidenote: Great looking truck. It's motivating me to fix some of my paint issues and decide about replacing some windows or doing some tinting.

Great photos! Appreciate the review as well. Did you ever figure out how to use your Thule box (if I'm remembering correctly)? I've wanted an awning for a while so good to hear it hasn't introduced any new noises. I assume it mounts well since they are both ARB.

Sidenote: Great looking truck. It's motivating me to fix some of my paint issues and decide about replacing some windows or doing some tinting.
I appreciate that, thanks! Yeah I hear you, mine has some small spot clear coat fading issues as well which I will eventually get around to fixing. Actually I've been going down the research rabbit hole over the past few days on how to fix, blend clear coat, etc as I like to try and fix myself at some point. I have a few upgrades planned most notably the Wholesale Auto Transmission Valve Body upgrade for the A440F that I am about ready to pull the trigger on (gosh I can't wait:bounce:).

So I found out that my Thule box which was manufactured in 2014ish doesn't have the claws that are removable / interchangeable where they can be swapped out for ones that are T-slotted (newer Thule boxes comes standard with interchangeable claws / feet is my understanding). If I could swap out and put the T-slotted feet on the Thule box then it would mount up perfectly with the T-slot adapter hardware accessory (which I have already) that ARB Base Rack offers. Just didn't like the idea at that time of plunking down more $ for another Thule Box when mine is basically in perfect condition. I will probably end up doing this at some point though anyway and sell my old Thule box to gain the T-slot adapter functionality, but I wanted to first see if I could jerry rig up a good way to make it work with the Thule box I already have.

I opted for the ARB Base Rack quick release bracket to mount the ARB awning and it mounts perfectly.

I don’t plan to use my sunroof much, so I opted for the 84” Base Rack. Took a bunch of little tweaks to get it mounted just right. Only thing I don’t like is the proximity of the gutter clamp to the front doors. It’s a tight fit...if you don’t get it secured just right, you may not be able to open your doors. Not sure why I didn’t receive a wind defector with mine? I contacted ARB Customer service and awaiting their response. Part number is ARB BASE81. View attachment 2678622View attachment 2678623View attachment 2678624
Nice RACK!
Had the same issue with my ARB alloy flat rack. Specially on rear doors. What I did was remove the rubber, so the clamps are in direct contact with the gutter. Also removed the plastic trim that goes in the gutter. No it fits ok, but with minimum clearance.

@ RETRO LC Are you able to open your moon roof cruising around town with your rack on? Wind noise normal or increased? Thanks for the great pictures.

@ RETRO LC Are you able to open your moon roof cruising around town with your rack on? Wind noise normal or increased? Thanks for the great pictures.
So after I re-oriented the rack more toward the rear I can use the tilt function and open/close without any restriction. Before I moved the rack toward the rear I was not able to use the tilt feature because the crossbar/slat was directly over where the high point of the moonroof glass would stick out above the surrounding roof. After moving the rack toward the rear just a bit, when in the tilt position the high point of the moonroof glass now falls in between the slats/crossbars (yet is also not high enough to touch anything mounted up on the rack). The BASE Rack is fully height adjustable so I could have raised it up to clear the moonroof when tilted up if I didn't want to re-orient the rack toward the rear, but my preference is to have the BASE Rack at the lowest setting so it's nice and snug to the roof.

I honestly don't use the moonroof too much, but when I did I don't recall it being any noisier than having the moonroof open all by itself without the BASE Rack. The wind deflector is a must with this rack. With the moonroof shut, I can't hear any roof rack related noise with the wind deflector, but without the wind deflector the noise was definitely noticeable and bothersome.

So after I re-oriented the rack more toward the rear I can use the tilt function and open/close without any restriction. Before I moved the rack toward the rear I was not able to use the tilt feature because the crossbar/slat was directly over where the high point of the moonroof glass would stick out above the surrounding roof. After moving the rack toward the rear just a bit, when in the tilt position the high point of the moonroof glass now falls in between the slats/crossbars (yet is also not high enough to touch anything mounted up on the rack). The BASE Rack is fully height adjustable so I could have raised it up to clear the moonroof when tilted up if I didn't want to re-orient the rack toward the rear, but my preference is to have the BASE Rack at the lowest setting so it's nice and snug to the roof.

I honestly don't use the moonroof too much, but when I did I don't recall it being any noisier than having the moonroof open all by itself without the BASE Rack. The wind deflector is a must with this rack. With the moonroof shut, I can't hear any roof rack related noise with the wind deflector, but without the wind deflector the noise was definitely noticeable and bothersome.
Wow it’s that close to the roof , awesome!!
Need to sell my current rack and buy this one. I definitely like the looks and functionality. Thanks for all the information that you posted!

I do like the ARB Base Rack a lot. I don't hear any wind noise coming from the roof rack with the wind deflector--even at 75-80mph. Without the wind deflector though I did hear wind noise so the wind deflector is a must have. Only noise I hear at highway speed is a pesky little whistling noise coming into the cab from the passenger side mirror (just needs to be sealed up), but this noise is unrelated to the roof rack. Even loaded up with two 20L Scepter jerry cans of water and two 20L jerry cans of fuel, a full 20lb propane gas bottle, a mini propane fire pit, camping gear, etc, I could not hear any noises coming from the load or the roof rack at highway speed. So needless to say I don't have any buyers remorse and based on my experience with the ARB Base Rack I would recommend and give it a thumbs up.
View attachment 3227453View attachment 3227455View attachment 3227460View attachment 3227461View attachment 3227462
Is this the BASE81 84”?

Hi folks. Reviving this thread to ask a quick question. Does anyone know which of the gutter mounting kits you need for the 80 series? Is it the H1 or H2 kit?

I am guessing that the gutter kits are fairly generic and you can adjust the width (some what) depending on the vehicle?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom