New addition to the Stable (Project Magilla) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Geez will you still let me spot you??????????????

Spotting definitely isn't the issue Gary. In fact, I'm sure it has spared me some additional carnage.

I seem to get into the immovable objects when no one is looking!

So my plan was to go through the cooling system, tear it all apart and replace all of the critical parts prior to getting the old gal road worthy. Our favorite LC parts Guru @beno came through again for me and got me all the various coolant hoses, water pump, T-stat, gaskets, etc... All went smashingly well (except for the part where you have to remove virtually every component off of the front of the 3FE to access the water pump) until I went to fill up the system with coolant.

Now, normally I find the sound of running water to be extremely relaxing and very Zen in its nature....However, when I heard that sound while priming the coolant system, my face became ashen. After poking around with the flashlight I realized that the miniature waterfall was coming from here:
20170217_183617_zpsgyhodpxv.jpg

I know, it's pretty ugly. After my momentary sigh of relief realizing it wasn't a crack in the block or a head gasket leaking, I set about to procure a radiator. Checking all the usual Keystone Cruiser hoarders of good LC parts and coming up empty, and Mr. T radiators being NLA for 80's, I was reduced to buying aftermarket.

Let me just say that this was a surreal experience. After not one, not two, not three, not four, but five, yes five (as in one less than 6) radiators being shipped, I finally received one with minimal damage that would be serviceable! :bang::bang::bang: Three had squashed filler necks, one of those also had a flattened trans cooler line, and the fourth had trans cooler line damage along with a dented top tank. Two of the acquisition attempts were through Autozone, and the last three through Pep Boys. All radiators were shipped from Spectre, via FedEx, to the respective stores. Believe it or not, they are now out of stock on 80 radiators because of this. Thank doG I didn't have to pay for, or contend with shipping! I am baffled that this can occur in this day and age, and hope for the retailer's sake that FedEx eats the cost for the damages. Sorry for the rant, but that's just ridiculous.

Anyway, the cooling system is back together and I'll be swapping in the front OEM locker axle tomorrow. Then the base lining will begin!:D

Stosh what a story! Hard to believe. The last brand new radiator I bought was for a 40, think it came from cruisercorps. It came in a suitable large carton with very well designed Styrofoam blockers top and bottom. It arrived in good shape, UPS didn't bang the box up at all and in any event I think maybe the way it was protected it may have withstood some rough handling. Hard to say. Your experience is almost hard to believe!
Good luck with the axle swap it'll be awesome to see that neat 80 on the trail!

I know it sounds absurd Gary, but that was the reality of the situation. Spectre is packaging a 35 - 40lb radiator in a cardboard box that has a another cardboard insert suspending the radiator. There is no molded Styrofoam, packing peanuts, or any other inertia absorbing material involved. This insert is held together (top to bottom) with a big rubber band to sandwich the radiator in there. The liner only has about 2" - 3" of head space to the outside packaging, and is not labeled "this side up" for the filler neck. Nor is it labeled fragile. It's just a big double lined cardboard box.

The damage was becoming so predictable that, after radiator number two, I began asking the sales clerk to open the boxes and inspect the severity of the damage. Figured this was easier than driving the 20 minutes to the store to do the same thing myself. Even those guys were beyond disbelief!

Well, all the axle swaps are completed. Easy peasy, as far as the unbolting and bolting goes. While attaching brake lines, several problems occurred. Well...actually only one. Good old NEPA corrosion. It just kept rearing its ugly head at every fitting. Wound up replacing the majority of the brake lines front to rear because of corroded or twisted off lines, and rusted fittings. Just finished up with all the new plumbing and will start bleeding it all tomorrow. I really need to consider a non-rust belt truck next time...

Merry Christmas all.

Well, after lots of debate and 3 years of life getting in the way, I've finally decided on a direction to go with the 1991 FJ80. A 2007 GMC Yukon Denali basically fell into my lap recently with a good running L92 6.2 liter LS and a 6L80E trans behind it. Truck has 138K miles on it but runs strong. It's a little crusty from sitting a while, but I plan on opening it up and resealing it anyway. This combo will soon be residing in the 80.
IMG_20201224_135503834.jpg

IMG_20201224_135511967.jpg

The L92 is the all aluminum 403HP - 417 ft./lbs. torque engine that came in the 2007 and 2008 Denali and Escalade. Pretty stout setup (thus the project name) that should be a huge improvement over the 155 raging stallions that the 3FE produced when new. I know the purists will be ostracizing me for this, but the appeal of a 400+ HP modern V8 and 6 spd OD auto, and the virtually free price tag of the powertrain are too much to resist!
Here's the donor getting ready for the tear down.
IMG_20201224_135407453.jpg

I'm removing the ECM and TCM today to send out to PSI in NJ for reprogramming and VATS removal. They'll also be fabbing up a stand alone harness for everything at the same time.

Went ahead and ordered a Mark's adapter to go from the 6L80E to the stock HF2A and added a part time kit to the order for the t-case and front hubs. I'll post progress as it moves along. Hoping to have it done and sorted for the spring wheeling season. :steer:

Last edited:
Damn!

Jealous!

Body and frame are in remarkable condition. A very tiny rust spot on the drivers rear door lower edge, and a small gouge in the passenger rocker. The passenger rear flare has gone missing too.
I haven't really decided yet on which direction to go with the driveline. The truck has 267K on it, but seems to function fine in all regards. I guess for now I will throw in one of the Lock Rite lunchboxes I have in the shop and just baseline the rig. I know at some point the 3FE will need to be addressed, but the options these days are numerous and I only want to do one transplant. As of now the 5.9CTD, Isuzu 4bdt and Mitsubishi Fuso diesels are all contenders. Will most likely stick with some kind of auto trans for easier wheeling. T-Case is undecided at this point.
Stupid Cruiser disease kept me up most of last night just thinking out all the options!:hmm::idea::hmm::idea::hmm::idea:

Opinions, experiences, and suggestions are always welcome guys.....

How about a Mark's 4WD transfer case gear plus 4.88s plus 35s? Top comfortable low range speed is about 20. 15 is better. But it can really climb.

How about a Mark's 4WD transfer case gear plus 4.88s plus 35s? Top comfortable low range speed is about 20. 15 is better. But it can really climb.

Definitely something to think about Vince. I need to see how it behaves with the stock 4.10's and 35's on the highway first. Was reading that the 6L80 has a pretty low 1st gear for wheeling, but, I like the idea of the lower t-case gearing for sure!

Wow. Big time players make big time plays!!

Thanks Gary, good to be back and involved in a project again. Still have the 60 and Mrs. Stoshu has another 100.

Interesting little tidbit of information...GM does not see the need to equip their 6L80E transmission pan with a drain plug. Therefore, much care must be employed when removing the final bolts of the trans pan or you will get a deluge of ATF on your head...but that's just what I've heard. :slap:

So after a thorough clean up and new change of clothing, the ECM and TCM are both out of the donor vehicle and ready to be sent off to PSI for reprogramming.
IMG_20201226_133753353 (1).jpg

Next step is the engine and transmission removal from the Yukon. I'm out of acetylene for the gas axe, so need to get a bottle before digging in. Tons of crusty nuts and bolts under there.

Good luck with the exhaust manifold bolts. I hear they can be a bear.

Good luck with the exhaust manifold bolts. I hear they can be a bear.

Funny you should mention that Pete. Just removed the exhaust manifolds tonight. 6 of the 12 bolts were either already broken off, or snapped during removal. :bang:

Got the two on the passenger side extracted, working on 4 on the drivers side head tomorrow. I've got two that are broken below the surface of the hole. Some genius at GM thought it was a good idea to use an M8 bolt with Loctite on them for this application.

Already ordered the ARP chrome moly bolt kit to avoid this again in the future.

That is what I was expecting. For as good as the LS engines are, that was one dumb decision on GM's part. If you have a welder, welding a nut to the remains does wonders for getting the remains out. You can even weld to the sub flush bolts, the weld will not stick to the aluminum.

Thanks for the advice Pete. My son is coming down with his mig machine tomorrow to give it a whirl. He watched a couple videos on it last night. Looks pretty straight forward. Fingers crossed...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom