New addition to the Stable (Project Magilla) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stoshu

SILVER Star
Threads
Well...after the third unintended introduction of my beloved 60's sheet metal to one of Anthracite's trees (Rausch was responsible for the other two). I decided that it's time to build a winter rig that I could use as a primary wheeling rig. Thus, reducing my anxiety of explaining new body work on the 60 to the wife every time I go wheeling :rolleyes:.

After some nagging and negotiation, I got the owner of this nice 1991 FJ80 to part ways with her. She needs a few odds and ends including brakes, knuckle rebuild, and some attention to minor leaks, but for the price I couldn't resist. Brought her home on the rollback today for the paltry sum of $1,600. Figure I can build a pretty formidable trail rig for around $5-6K all in. Here are a few pics.

010_zps9rywaijd.jpg

011_zpswk0vmol1.jpg

014_zpsheedzulq.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Morgan. I may be chatting with you about the 5.9 CTD swap as I have access to a complete drivetrain for a reasonable price. Here we go already....

80 fever!:clap:
Love the color combo!!!
You WILL fall in love with it! :steer:

I just realized it's the same color as your rig Greg.
I may have to steal that flare I need off of you when you're not paying attention!:idea:

Yes it was.

Looks like the body is clean. Hows the frame and inside?
Have you thought about a atlas 4 spd transfer case?

QUOTE="Stoshu, post: 10220717, member: 103339"]I just realized it's the same color as your rig Greg.
[/QUOTE]
That was the first thing I noticed

Looks like the body is clean. Hows the frame and inside?
Have you thought about a atlas 4 spd transfer case?
Body and frame are in remarkable condition. A very tiny rust spot on the drivers rear door lower edge, and a small gouge in the passenger rocker. The passenger rear flare has gone missing too.
I haven't really decided yet on which direction to go with the driveline. The truck has 267K on it, but seems to function fine in all regards. I guess for now I will throw in one of the Lock Rite lunchboxes I have in the shop and just baseline the rig. I know at some point the 3FE will need to be addressed, but the options these days are numerous and I only want to do one transplant. As of now the 5.9CTD, Isuzu 4bdt and Mitsubishi Fuso diesels are all contenders. Will most likely stick with some kind of auto trans for easier wheeling. T-Case is undecided at this point.
Stupid Cruiser disease kept me up most of last night just thinking out all the options!:hmm::idea::hmm::idea::hmm::idea:

Opinions, experiences, and suggestions are always welcome guys.....

Looking at your sig. Why not steel a ARB from the front of your 60. and swap that into the rear of your 80 and put the 80's open 3rd in the front of that.

That may be an option @jamarquardt22 . I need to do the knuckles on the 80 anyway, so I may wind up installing a locker while I have it apart.

You won't be able to use either of the 3rd members from your 60 in the front of your 80. But one can probably go into the rear axle.

Yep. Thanks for the heads up. I'd really like to have a selectable locker up front, so I need to do a little research on the Harrop e-lockers vs. ARB and decide from there. I really like the ARB's in the 60, so I'm kind of leaning that direction right now.

Thanks Gary. It's already growing on me. Really looking forward to another build. You'll have to let me know if you have any 80 farkles you're looking to unload!:D

Great grab! I actually saw this on CL and was thinking about it so my 100 could be a garage queen to give my oldest son in 15 years.

@maxse01 I saw this truck in my travels late last year and stopped to ask if it was for sale. Guy was hesitant and not willing to let it go. Fast forward 4 months and it popped up on CL. I knew it was the same truck because of the missing flare and location. Called him up, went down there and was able to strike a deal. The truck has been seriously neglected on the mechanical front, so I've got some uphill sledding there. It's already starting to shape up though. Looking forward to getting it out wheeling. Gotta pay props to @Crusha and @Pacer for offering to help me out with some parts needs on the rig. Great bunch of guys in our club!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom