Builds New Addition: 94 FZJ 80 w/ 6.5 TD (manual IP) Intro (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

Thought I'd take a moment to introduce myself over here and my new-to-me TD 80. From the seller:

1994 FZJ80 Landcruiser
Color: Dark Green
Engine: GM/Chevy 6.5 TD (Turbo Diesel) (recently remanufactured less than 100 miles)
Mark's 4X4 Adaptor to stock automatic transmission
Factory lockers
Slee Offroad 6" Lift installed
Kaymar Rear Bumper with swing-out tire carrier
Custom exhaust
Mean Green Alternator and Starter
Upgraded cooling package for engine

The 6.5 TD Engine cost me $7,250 newly remanufactured from SS Diesel Supply. The conversion through Landcruiser NW cost over $20,000. The Slee lift was $3,120 and the Kaymar rear bumper was $1,400. Total investment has been nearly $40,000

So, I contacted the seller and began discussions on the vehicle. After a litany of emails and discussions with LCNW, Roger and Rob...and convincing my brother Andy to go in with me, I made an offer and it was accepted...and no, it was nowhere near the above total. :grinpimp:

I called my buddy Mark over at Metaltech in Portland, and he graciously agreed to store the truck (while he puts a set of sliders on it:bounce:
Well I finally got it on Monday, and have spent a few days just going through it. The install was top notch, but incomplete...and I knew that going in. The 6.5 IP was swapped for a manual IP, so the motor is a non-ECU motor. The a442f tranny shifts manually, but I need to get factory TCM to see the correct signals for it to shift automatically. The 1fz harness and ECU are still there, and I've got the FSM and EWDs to make it all work, but it sure ain't gonna be easy for fast. If anyone has any tips on getting the tranny to function, I'll certainly take it. No real info on MUD that i've found. If I can't get it to work with the Factory TCM, then either a stand-alone TCM or swapping to a 700R4 is an option, but it really shouldn't be that hard, just meticulous and time consuming! I realize that the shift points might be a little off, and the TC is probably set at too high a stall speed, but those issues can be corrected with a call to Rodney if needed. Also thought about sourcing a diesel TCM from an HDJ, but haven't pursued that as yet.

Another issue that need attention is hooking up and charging the A/C. I think all I need are a few custom hoses (GM on one end, and Toyota on the other) and to find the A/C clutch wire in the harness, charge it and it'll be done. Those are the two most important issues, but there are a few others that need attention. The PO's PO installed a bevy of Stereo gear, video gear and screens, and an alarm system that currently aren't working and have caused the dome light circuit to go a bit haywire with the electrical gremlins. So I'll need to dig into that at some point. Need to add some 35's (Trxxus MTs) and a winch for the new MT tube bumper, and that's about it. At some point later it'll get the full expedition build for drawers, fridge, rack, long range tank, etc

Wish me luck!
Cruiser 005.jpg
Cruiser 009.jpg
Cruiser 011.jpg

Last edited:
That is going to be a great truck!

It would be sweet to add some camera's under the truck to see the rocks as you crawl them. Of course your passengers.

That looks very familiar! I just sold my 94 that I converted to a 6.2 diesel, it too was green, nice to see another one around.!
I loved mine but ended up selling it for the Mercedes in my sig, I still miss the 6.2 Cruiser though, in a perfect world I would own both!
I went with the 700R4 on mine, seemed easier than the A442 to make it work as a stand alone unit since it was made to do that (plus I found a 700R4 adapter really cheap), once I found the right shop the transmission performed flawlessly, but since you already have the adapter and transmission hooked up you can make it work. I found a source for a stand alone computer for the A442 but it was about a year ago and I can't remember where it was, plus it seems like the price was more than I could buy a rebuilt 700R4 so I decided to go that route just for the rebuilt trans.
I think the 35" tires are going to have be your first purchase, that engine needs to run around 1,800-2,000 rpm, with the A442 the 35's will be about perfect, I ran 33's with the 700R4 and actually 34's would have been better.
The A/C hook-up is easy, I just found a shop that was willing to make me some hoses, the guy was good enough to weld the Toyota end to the GM hose, pretty impressive on thin wall aluminum tubing! It worked well.

Enjoy it and keep us posted!
Rusty

The 6.5 TD Engine cost me $7,250 newly remanufactured from SS Diesel Supply. The conversion through Landcruiser NW cost over $20,000. The Slee lift was $3,120 and the Kaymar rear bumper was $1,400. Total investment has been nearly $40,000

Hi, that 6.5L looks like it belongs there! Congratulations to you and your exciting new sled!!!

Your explanation has me confused about what it was you bought.

From your post listing the vehicle attributes from the seller, it looked like you bought a truck already converted to the 6.5L, was that the case?

If so, why and what did you get for the $20k you say you listed for the conversion? Surely the motor was included for that price??? Can you please explain this to me?

And if so, how did the total value you added up come to $40k?

I'm sitting here after reading your post thinking you got about 1/2 to 3/4's of a conversion. A high ticket conversion should be turn key in my opinion. Leaving a non-functioning trans, incomplete A/C and non-functioning gauges to be figured out after??? C'mon now.

Please read my reactions and questions as coming from surprise and shock. I acknowledge you say you didn't pay the full $40k and you had some other stuff done. And I don't have a dog in the fight as they say. But I'm very curious!

Maybe I'm way off on this and am not based in reality. Feel free to set me straight!

Thanks man!

Rick

nice engine .. did you have the numbers for it . ?

I will swap the A442 for the 700R4 ASAP .. ! don't get me wrong .. it's just too easy use a good and prepared as you want 700R4 with an adapter to keep the Toyota t-case .. than mess with the A442 in the case that it can handle the power ..

Rick,

Sorry for the confusion (part of that is because I cut and pasted from some emails and another thread on MUD since I'm lazy:D). The guy I bought it from bought the Cruiser ( for $10K a few years ago in stock form (well with all the stereo/video s***) and decided he wanted a diesel cruiser, so he "researched" and bought a new 6.5 long block SS Diesel ~$7K plus core. :eek: Then he paid a Cruiser shop in Portland ~$20K for the conversion over a couple of years?:eek::eek: For this he got the motor and acc installed, R front shock tower re-fabbed to accommodate the Turbo down pipe, dual batts, Mean Green starter and alt, a couple of gauges (Temp and Oil Press) a Slee 6" lift ($3400), and a kaymar rear bumper. Add it all up and he had receipts for ~$41K, which I have a copy of.

He got disenchanted and realized he was WAAY upside down with out the mechanical ability to get the A442 to work and really sick of sinking money into it...So in late Jan he puts it up here on MUD for sale as an incomplete project. I was looking for an 80 with a blown motor to do a diesel swap and build an expedition rig, and found it 2 days after I started looking. It had most of the things I needed and felt that if I could get it for around $15K that would be about what I'd have in a built expedition rig with a diesel conversion done by me and my wheeling buddies (who run 6.2 diesels in 40s and 62s)...I got what I wanted and he got a headache removed. 3 cheers for a s***ty economy and a buyer's market.

Oh and I agree, that for 20K it better damn well be turn-key or someone's head would've spun...if I were writing the check. But I wasn't and I knew exactly what I was buying

Pictures are from the seller, and don't show the custom MT sliders and MT Tube bumper. Also I've since run a heater hose from the CDR on the pass valve cover over to the air intake to vent the crankcase properly.

Last edited:
Tappage,

The more I dig into it the more I coming to that same conclusion. I can ditch the Marks adapter and bolt up a built all hydraulic 700R4 and get the other adapter for the x-case fairly cheap and easy...or I can continue to futz with all the electronic BS, TPS (not present), Kickdown cable (way too short, like a foot or so!) put in a Extreme Valve Body and low(er) stall TC from Rodney in Oz...$$$ and time...

Off to do some more research on the 700R4...

since you already have the adapter and transmission hooked up you can make it work. I found a source for a stand alone computer for the A442 but it was about a year ago and I can't remember where it was, plus it seems like the price was more than I could buy a rebuilt 700R4 so I decided to go that route just for the rebuilt trans.

Probably the PCS controller, and yeah its $$$. Plus all the headaches try to program shift points, etc. My only question at this point is looking up the Tranny and adapter lengths to see IF I have to move the motor mounts or x-case for fitment. I'll sell the Marks Adapter and get the other one for the 700r4. You don't happen to remember any of the specs on the 700 you had rebuilt?

I think the 35" tires are going to have be your first purchase, that engine needs to run around 1,800-2,000 rpm, with the A442 the 35's will be about perfect, I ran 33's with the 700R4 and actually 34's would have been better.

Yep, I agree that 35s will just about put me in the perfect RPM range. Ordering them this week:D

I plan on doing the AC exactly as you describe. I do need to get it done. Its getting warm here in Tennessee

I know the stock Toyota TC bolts up to the 700r4 in the same location so it will be good with either adapter. I am not sure about the engine mounts though. Any idea what mounts they used in the swap? They are probably custom I am guessing although Marks does sell mounts now.
You could try asking Marks about it, there aren't too many others in this country that have done this conversion so knowledge is limited. I say "try" asking Marks about it because I tried several times to get ahold of them via e-mail and never got any response, maybe a phone call would do the trick.
Another option might be to find an A440 transmission (or better yet the hydraulic A442), they run without a computer and as far as I know would bolt up to the adapter.
Rusty

This is my plan... except I will be doing a NV4500 swap and seeing if I can shoe horn a toy box on the back and then connect to the transfer case.

Going manual is also an option for you.

Another option might be to find an A440 transmission (or better yet the hydraulic A442), they run without a computer and as far as I know would bolt up to the adapter.
Rusty

I thought about this the other night and it seems to be the easiest "fix" My current thoughts are to keep it simple and find a used A440 from a 91/92 since it'll bolt up and all it needs is the kickdown cable to work. Probably will swap shifters to get the D/3/2/1 gate. Doubt seriously that I can find (cheap) a hydraulic A442 since they never made it to NA, though it would have the diesel gov, and VB, which would be nice. Might be some in S America, but who knows, plus getting parts wouldn't be easy.

If I like it then I can add the WA extreme VB and TC from oz.

I'd like to keep it an auto, but the NV4500 is a great manual...

I considered the A440, gearing wise it is actually better than the A440, final drive is a bit lower from what I remember. I think it also has the D, 3, 2, 1 on it already? Maybe not, I owned 2 FJ62's and can't remember (I know the early FJ80 had it)
Shift points might be a problem, on the 700R4 it was simple to change the shift points externally, maybe there is some way to do so on the A440 too?
Going manual sounds easy as far as ease of electronics but have you considered finding a pedal and clutch assembly for an FZJ80 here in the states?
I have been over all of these things in my head!
I agree that since you already have the bellhousing adapter the best way to go would be the A440.
Would love to see your 80!
Rusty

Did you ever get the transmission sorted ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom