New 99 LX470 owner introduction + Automatic door locks issues. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, my name is Nic and I recently bought a 1999 Lexus LX470 with 239k miles, and I am very excited to travel Southern California with it! A few things I wish to address before taking it on some serious trails are:

Mechanical:
- CV Axle replacement (torn boot, no sounds when turning).
- Valve cover gasket replacement (leaking oil).
- Transmission shifts rough when hot (particularly when switching into reverse or drive).
- Wheel bearings have some play.
- Timing belt last replaced at 175k, looking to replace at 250k.
- Coolant flush.

Interior:
- Automatic door locks & key fob does not work.
- Side view mirror adjustment does not work.
- Climate control buttons are finicky.
- Steering column adjustment knob does not work in all directions / does not automatically extend out.

Exterior:
- Very minor paint and clear coat chipping.
- Minor chip in windshields.
- 3/4 of the wheel's center caps are missing.
- The white color seems a tinge yellow.

These issues along with the ones I forgot to list will mostly be taken care of on my own and will be referring to the forums. However there is one question I have that I can't seem to find anywhere on the forums, my problem with the automatic door locks.

The auto door locks:
- Only "works" with the key in the ignition set to "ON"
- Both key fobs do not work; CR1616 battery has been replaced, but only blinks red when any of the buttons are pressed including "Panic".
- When the unlock button is pressed (on the front doors), all doors unlock.
- When the lock button is pressed (on the front doors), all the doors unlock for 1 second, then immediately switch back to being locked.
- When done repeatedly the driver and passenger front door unlocks, tries to lock but does so very weak, appearing as if the manual lock switch only got halfway to locking.

I have considered a few possibilities, yet have not had time to inspect in detail are:
- Wiring connections are worn and need to be re-soldered.
- The door lock actuator/actuator motor is bad.
- The key fob needs to be reprogrammed.
- The sensor that keeps your keys from being locked out is bad.

If anyone has any advice on my door locks situation that would be great, it's been driving me crazy! The only way I can actually lock the doors is either manually or hitting the "Lock" button then immediately turning off the car before it unlocks again. Other than that I'm excited to keep this car for a very long time, take it around the trails and beaches in Santa Barbara county, and I look forward to meeting folks on the trail.

20211027_181734.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom