New 80-Series Owner hailing from NJ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

Just picked up my first LC a couple weeks ago. Have been trolling this forum for a long time trying to learn as much as I could prior to purchase, I like to be an educated buyer.

Picked up a 96 LC, White with tan cloth interior. 197k miles, decent shape... not perfect but not abused. The only "mod" so far has been removing the running boards and detailing the interior since the PO was a dog owner. I've never been so disgusted in my life... I have pictures at home, will post later.

My wife and I are closing on our first home this Friday, once we're settled I'll be tackling all the PMs, cooling system and front axle are the two main targets right now. I may try to find a junk yard locker front axle and rebuild out of the truck, we'll see. Tires will get swapped to some 285/75-16s, likely Revo 2's but not fully decided yet.

I bought the truck to use as a weekend toy and as an occasional tow vehicle. We have other vehicles for daily drivers.

This is my first question... and it may seem completely odd. I'm really interested in setting up the truck to do some expeditionary stuff, camping, etc. The thread with the German couple driving their rig around the world was fascinating.

Anywho, I have sleep apnea, which requires that I sleep with a CPAP every night. For those of you who have no idea what that is, I sleep via forced induction ;). Do any of you have experience with providing low amperage AC power overnight out of your rig? I need to plug in... :lol:

It is terribly embarassing to admit, but at the same time it is detrimental to my health to sleep without it. I'd love to start doing some trips with the family, but that needs to be sorted first. Would a dual battery setup with a deep cycle battery provide the power I need for 6-7 hours of sleep? DC/AC inverters are pretty inefficient, aren't they? Should I just consider a generator?

Well, thanks for having me, look forward to contributing wherever I can.

- Stephen

P.S. - If this isn't the right forum to introduce myself, I apologize, but I saw nothing in the "Newbies Read First" post at the top that would indicate otherwise.

Welcome to the LC Club. May your pockets be deep. J/K, keep up with the PM and the LC will treat you well. This forum has been great, cool people with lots of good advice.

You should be fine with dual batteries. How much current does your widget draw? If you set it up right, your starting battery can be completely isolated via a switch so that no matter how low the aux battery gets, you can still start up and charge both.

Welcome to mud!

I've been wearing a BiPaP for 15 years. When I go camping, we hook my buddy's marine battery (from his boat) to a power inverter and I get 3 nights of BiPaP time from it.

So I think setting up a dual battery system, with the 2nd battery being a deep cycle, and a proper charging system so that you recharge it during the day while on the trail, would work well.

Congrats. Looking fwd to the pics.:)

Never got the opportunity to upload the last night, will tonight.

Welcome to the LC Club. May your pockets be deep. J/K, keep up with the PM and the LC will treat you well. This forum has been great, cool people with lots of good advice.

My PM list keeps getting longer and longer... but I intend to get it all taken care of before getting crazy with mods.

You should be fine with dual batteries. How much current does your widget draw? If you set it up right, your starting battery can be completely isolated via a switch so that no matter how low the aux battery gets, you can still start up and charge both.

Welcome to mud!

I'm not sure what the current draw is, but I'll check it out. I can't imagine it's too high, the thing is basically a small fan.

I've been wearing a BiPaP for 15 years. When I go camping, we hook my buddy's marine battery (from his boat) to a power inverter and I get 3 nights of BiPaP time from it.

So I think setting up a dual battery system, with the 2nd battery being a deep cycle, and a proper charging system so that you recharge it during the day while on the trail, would work well.

Thats exactly the kind of info I wanted to hear. I've been wearing a CPAP for 7 years now, it has literally been a lifesaver.

I was at the junk yard last weekend and they had two 91 cruisers, I pulled the battery tray from one (other truck was missing it) as well as the CDL switches from both even though I can't use them. I figure someone here can...

Slee washer bottle relocation here I come, then just need to wire up the dual batteries. Time to do some searching.

I was at the junk yard last weekend and they had two 91 cruisers, I pulled the battery tray from one (other truck was missing it) as well as the CDL switches from both even though I can't use them. I figure someone here can...

Slee washer bottle relocation here I come, then just need to wire up the dual batteries. Time to do some searching.

Where in NJ are you and which Junkyard had those two 'cruisers?

I don't know the name of the yard, but I can tell you if you take Rt. 9 south through Little Egg Harbor, and make a right onto Rt. 543 before you hit the Garden State it will be on the right hand side a couple miles down. My father frequents the place, it was the first time I was there. Probably the scariest junk yard I've ever been in.

I don't know the name of the yard, but I can tell you if you take Rt. 9 south through Little Egg Harbor, and make a right onto Rt. 543 before you hit the Garden State it will be on the right hand side a couple miles down. My father frequents the place, it was the first time I was there. Probably the scariest junk yard I've ever been in.

Thanks! I'm reasonably familiar with that area :D

Yay! Jersey 80 owners! Let's do a PM meet up! :clap: haha

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on your truck and home purchase.

Welcome to the Club man! I prefer my 97LC over my 2006GS. These 80 Series are addicting Dammnit

96 with cloth?

I thought all US 96 and 97s had leather, pics please!!!!

:flipoff2: Welcome. Good luck with your build. Just take it slowly..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom