New 80 owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I'm now the owner of a new (old) 80 series here in Australia, bought second hand because I was getting sick of exploring in a sedan (a mitsubishi 380 will get you surprisingly far off road with enough willpower).

I'll start with this: I am not a car guy in the least, but I want to be. I spent my teenage years disinterested in cars and now I feel like I have to catch up on an entire childhood I've missed out on in my late 20's when I'm suddenly interested in offroading. The more I learn, the more I want to know. So I'm going to ask a LOT of stupid questions. In my google-PHD research, IH8MUD has come up enough times that I decided to join up and tap into (and hopefully contribute to) the wealth of knowledge here.

With that out of the way, here is the old girl:

1995 FZJ80 with 360,000kms on the clock
20210919_065250.jpg

It came with a bunch of nice stuff like the TJM bullbar, snorkel, awning, spotties, 2 inch lift and 33 inch tires, but thats about as far as my untrained eye gets me.

The car has been professionally resprayed (body and underside) and it looks very nice, I'm definitely proud to drive it around. The next question in my mind is 'why' it was resprayed, and it appears to have some surface level rust in spots where they didn't move parts while spraying, such as the towball, but as far as I can tell this car has never had any serious rust... not unless someone spent a stupid amount of time power-sanding every single inch of the under and top side before painting.

In short, the previous owner has looked after this 27 year old machine and I intend on doing the same.

I have some questions I'm hoping someone here could help me with, first up:

I'm a bit confused as to exactly which model 80 series I have. Everywhere I look, they put airbags in as standard from 1995 onwards but my car has nothing of the sort. It still has the horizontal 'handlebar' thats famous on older landcruiers in front of the passenger.

Second: What on earth is this thing? It doesn't appear to be mentioned in the workshop manual and not being a car guy I can't really fathom its purpose. It's some sort of aftermarket repair. Maybe a fuel filter? I'm not 100% sure, but I believe I can see the original fuel filter at the bottom of the inlet manifold still...
received_188314806779005.jpeg

received_2641368682675985.jpeg

Third: I could have sworn the engine oil was 'full' when I brought it home, yet one morning (after sitting all night) the low oil light popped up. I cross checked with the dipstick, which indeed read Low. The manual states that going from L to F on the dipstick only needs 1L of oil, so I did just that. The next day, the dipstick shows the oil level way over full, like a good inch over the full mark. What could be going on here? Sludge/blockage? This car shows signs it sat still in a garage for a long time (if the dust and spiders have anything to say!).

Lastly: Any tips for a newbie like me on what to immediately go check/replace, given I suspect this thing has sat unused for quite some time? All the obvious candidates like fluids and belts are done, I'm more referring to anything more complicated.

Look forward to sponging up the knowledge!

Cheers,

Chang

Hi all,

I'm now the owner of a new (old) 80 series here in Australia, bought second hand because I was getting sick of exploring in a sedan (a mitsubishi 380 will get you surprisingly far off road with enough willpower).

I'll start with this: I am not a car guy in the least, but I want to be. I spent my teenage years disinterested in cars and now I feel like I have to catch up on an entire childhood I've missed out on in my late 20's when I'm suddenly interested in offroading. The more I learn, the more I want to know. So I'm going to ask a LOT of stupid questions. In my google-PHD research, IH8MUD has come up enough times that I decided to join up and tap into (and hopefully contribute to) the wealth of knowledge here.

With that out of the way, here is the old girl:

1995 FZJ80 with 360,000kms on the clock
View attachment 2806046

It came with a bunch of nice stuff like the TJM bullbar, snorkel, awning, spotties, 2 inch lift and 33 inch tires, but thats about as far as my untrained eye gets me.

The car has been professionally resprayed (body and underside) and it looks very nice, I'm definitely proud to drive it around. The next question in my mind is 'why' it was resprayed, and it appears to have some surface level rust in spots where they didn't move parts while spraying, such as the towball, but as far as I can tell this car has never had any serious rust... not unless someone spent a stupid amount of time power-sanding every single inch of the under and top side before painting.

In short, the previous owner has looked after this 27 year old machine and I intend on doing the same.

I have some questions I'm hoping someone here could help me with, first up:

I'm a bit confused as to exactly which model 80 series I have. Everywhere I look, they put airbags in as standard from 1995 onwards but my car has nothing of the sort. It still has the horizontal 'handlebar' thats famous on older landcruiers in front of the passenger.

Second: What on earth is this thing? It doesn't appear to be mentioned in the workshop manual and not being a car guy I can't really fathom its purpose. It's some sort of aftermarket repair. Maybe a fuel filter? I'm not 100% sure, but I believe I can see the original fuel filter at the bottom of the inlet manifold still...
View attachment 2806075
View attachment 2806076

Third: I could have sworn the engine oil was 'full' when I brought it home, yet one morning (after sitting all night) the low oil light popped up. I cross checked with the dipstick, which indeed read Low. The manual states that going from L to F on the dipstick only needs 1L of oil, so I did just that. The next day, the dipstick shows the oil level way over full, like a good inch over the full mark. What could be going on here? Sludge/blockage? This car shows signs it sat still in a garage for a long time (if the dust and spiders have anything to say!).

Lastly: Any tips for a newbie like me on what to immediately go check/replace, given I suspect this thing has sat unused for quite some time? All the obvious candidates like fluids and belts are done, I'm more referring to anything more complicated.

Look forward to sponging up the knowledge!

Cheers,

Chang
Welcome!

That does appear to be some sort of fuel filter cobbled on because the original is difficult to get to. It may still be there, just not being used.

The oil level light is notorious for coming on at random times. Mine decides to come on when I'm in need of an oil change. That's not what it's for, mine just happens to do that. You can remove it, clean it, and reinstall with new gaskets, but it's not even remotely critical.
The ONLY real check is the dipstick. You should only check your oil for an accurate reading after it has sat, not running for at LEAST 10 minutes, on level ground.

Pull the dipstick, wipe it off, reinsert until it is seated, then pull it and check it. Check it on BOTH sides and check the reading to the hash marks. If unsure, do it again.

Everything you want to do to your truck has been done by SOMEONE that has posted on this forum. The info is here, please search. If you want to know what size tires will fit and what oil to use, search.

If you want to know why the third brake light has stopped working and how to fix it, search. It's here. Don't feel bad when someone asks you (or tells you) to search. If you don't know what something is, attach a picture and ask. You can also do a Google search on your picture and you may get an answer.

Search is in the upper right of the screen. Oh, maybe that's on the left side because you're in AUS.

If someone barks at you, bark back. Don't take it personally and get all sore about it. It's a test to see if you're worthy of the ownership of one of these.

These engines hold 8 quarts (about 8 L) of oil at a full oil change. Don't use a Wix oil filter or a Napa Gold filter. Not sure what brands are available where you are.

Welcome :flipoff2: (official Mud welcome) -

@BILT4ME said everything I’d have, and only alternative to that mystery can is it being possibly a oil vapor catchcan, but AL construction I tend to agree on fuel filter.

Only thing I can add is airbags were a USDM mandate, so you might ask some locals in the AU clubhouse if you guys just never got them, IDK enough to even guess,

Here’s a place to ask/compare with owners over there, see what non-USDM 80’s had/didn’t :

-Sorry, I could only link the main page as either it’s early & my eyes don’t see the Australia sub-clubhouse, or there isn’t one (seems odd).

Anyhow, that would be the place where you normally would get region-specific details to different 80’s.

Congratulations on getting a nice rig.

May have been sprayed because of the clear coat peeling, usually happens to the non white versions. Looks like you are on the right track. There is a guide on slee for buying a rig, go through may help find something that needs attention that the previous owner has not gotten to.

There is also a Bible in this forum you can skim through, all good info.

There is lots of info here for most issues you will encounter, searching and asking can save a ton of time and money.

Is your Cruiser OBD 1 or 2? '95 was a transition year for this in US, so perhaps it was for airbags too.

Try to follow the hoses from that canister to see where they go. It's an add on. I haven't noticed an opportunity to see the OEM fuel filter from looking under hood, fwiw.

These engines hold 8 quarts (about 8 L) of oil at a full oil change. Don't use a Wix oil filter or a Napa Gold filter. Not sure what brands are available where you are.
OP might be pushing 9L given the size of that oil filter. lol
Go big or stay home...is what they say?

Welcome :flipoff2: (official Mud welcome) -

@BILT4ME said everything I’d have, and only alternative to that mystery can is it being possibly a oil vapor catchcan, but AL construction I tend to agree on fuel filter.

Only thing I can add is airbags were a USDM mandate, so you might ask some locals in the AU clubhouse if you guys just never got them, IDK enough to even guess,

Here’s a place to ask/compare with owners over there, see what non-USDM 80’s had/didn’t :

-Sorry, I could only link the main page as either it’s early & my eyes don’t see the Australia sub-clubhouse, or there isn’t one (seems odd).

Anyhow, that would be the place where you normally would get region-specific details to different 80’s.

No your eyes aren't failing, there doesn't appear to be an Australian clubhouse.

All good, although you yanks insist on putting the steering wheel on the wrong side instead of the right side!

Yes, I found the 80 Series FAQ, what a data dump! Spent a good chunk of last night browsing through. I think the only modifications I want to add at this point are purely bolt-ons; roof racks, drawers, etc. I don't see a need to fiddle with the fit and function of the car, just keep it maintained. Some minor items like gas struts, latching mechanisms, hinges, etc I've already seen to replacing or tightening.

I'm mentally prepared for an engine rebuild at some point, as it is I can smell a bit of oil in the exhaust, but it otherwise functions just fine for now so I won't touch it. There was another thread on here with a parts list for an engine birthday which is excellent. Kudos to that guy!

Oh, and despite changing rear rotors, pads, etc. the bloody handbrake still doesn't work. What a PITA mechanism! I think the bellcrank/lever arms and the cable are bent/tired after almost 30 years so I think I'll replace those altogether.

Thanks for the welcome guys, I'll use the search and sing out if I get stuck!

Cheers,

Chang

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom