New 80 owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, new to the land cruiser world not toyota. I was in to the tacoma world group that did some NM trips, then got out of toyotas for a while.
Located up in Los Alamos, Back in to the game with a FJZ80 for some family trips and whatnot.
Looking forward to meeting some of you guys!
Thanks!

20181216_152520.jpg

20181216_152512.jpg

Welcome. Thanks for the pictures. I have a 1996 FJZ80, also. Thanks for keeping these machines running. I am down in Rio Rancho, but like wheeling in the Jemez. Keep an eye on the club site for rides.

Hey Josh! Glad you popped on over. Somewhere in here, I'll let you know when I'm headed towards Santa Fe and we can catch lunch.

Welcome! My 80 series is a '93 - they are great trucks!

It looks like yours is pretty stock, with the exception of a roof rack and front bumper? If you are interested in modifications, you will get plenty of ideas from this group. We don't see too many with that blue color. Just curious, does yours have the factory diff lockers?

Hey Josh! Glad you popped on over. Somewhere in here, I'll let you know when I'm headed towards Santa Fe and we can catch lunch.

Yea tom, let me know I am down.

Welcome! My 80 series is a '93 - they are great trucks!

It looks like yours is pretty stock, with the exception of a roof rack and front bumper? If you are interested in modifications, you will get plenty of ideas from this group. We don't see too many with that blue color. Just curious, does yours have the factory diff lockers?

I does not have the factory lockers, which is a bummer. I will get around to mods i can afford them. First i need to fix a few leaks in the power steering system, valve cover etc. i also have a full tune up planned.

I look forward to getting out and meeting some people in the future!

So the 80 is pretty much stock, it has some 265/75r16 muds on it, and about 239,XXX miles.
I got very little service history on it.
The good:
Axles do not leak
runs and drives great, 70 on the Hwy
no other major issues
The Bad;
valve cover leak
power steering leaks badly
needs a serious deep clean

Plans:
Valve cover gasket leaks, need to fix that,
Power steering leaks , need to change hoses first see if the stops it.
Change trans fluid
flush and fill cooling system
new intake tube
full tune up
egr delete
clean
33/or 35s
wheel it!

This will be use to transport the family around off road in northern NM area plus trips to Colorado, Alpine loop. black bear, etc.

Last edited:
FINALLY, a solid front axle. Hallelujah brother, welcome!!!! :)

If it has not been done , PHH needs to be on your list. Pesky Heater Hose modification.

Yea thanksi will get to that one I checked the coolant and its needs to be flushed, so will add new heater hoses to the list.

The PHH is a special hose , about 3 inches long, on the lower DS of back side of the motor. Search I8Hmud sites for this special problem. There are posts for parts needed for this fix. Difficult fix, because of access to it, but important to do as if this hose breaks, it would be very difficult to repair on the trail, and antifreeze will leak out from there. Took me about 3-4 hours to remove old hose and replace with new hose and clamps. ( I over torqued one of the hose clamps , causing it to break, and had to remove the new hose and replace the clamp) . It is a PITA.

I used the long tubing, but did not wrap around the outside of brake booster, just ran tube up between motor and booster. removed the metal tube by removing top holding bolt and twisting tube until the bottom attachment broke off.

I'm not sold on silicone hoses and tend to think of them more of a fad. Traditional rubber hoses last for 20+ years so I went with Gates rubber hose for this project. Some have complained of the silicone hoses getting squished out from under hose clamps, thereby, causing leaks. :meh:

I agree with Alia176. This not a high pressure problem. Getting the old hose and clamps off is the hardest part of the job.

I haven't done this for a long time but I seem to recall the use of a 90deg hook tool to facilitate the removal of the OEM hole clamp process. While you're at it (very famous phrase among this community) the OP might want to think about replacing the fuel filter as well. Since you're going to be in this area anyway, might as well kill two birds with one stone, as they say! Both of these items are accessed by removing the front driver wheel and getting cozy in there. This is also a good time to remove the starter and rebuild it. You know, while you're in there :hillbilly: This would be a major tri-fecta.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom