New 80 owner, idle stumble (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Need a little more info on replacement engine. Does the current 1fz have the secondary air injection from the 94 engine? Are you running a vacuum fuel filter with 1 port or 2? Another question, if you unplug the 3 pin alternator connector, does the idle come up? The new vane air flow meter is it a known good OEM or a so called Remanufactured or god forbid a chinesium knock off?

Need a little more info on replacement engine. Does the current 1fz have the secondary air injection from the 94 engine? Are you running a vacuum fuel filter with 1 port or 2? Another question, if you unplug the 3 pin alternator connector, does the idle come up? The new vane air flow meter is it a known good OEM or a so called Remanufactured or god forbid a chinesium knock off?

Are you referring to the PAIR system on the ‘94? All that has been deleted. I have not tried unplugging the alternator connector but I will and report back. The replacement AFM was supposedly good and is a used OEM part. But I’ve had 2 people now tell me to try another one. Guess I’m on the hunt for one to try out.

Vacuum fuel filter? It’s the factory filter under the intake.

Are you referring to the PAIR system on the ‘94? All that has been deleted. I have not tried unplugging the alternator connector but I will and report back. The replacement AFM was supposedly good and is a used OEM part. But I’ve had 2 people now tell me to try another one. Guess I’m on the hunt for one to try out.

Vacuum fuel filter? It’s the factory filter under the intake.

Yes, Im referring to PAIR. Guessing you used the exhaust manifolds from the donor engine in lieu of block off plates. Vacuum fuel/gas filter screws into the top of the intake (next to PCV hose nipple) and has a hose that goes to the fuel rail. 93-94 has 2 hoses whereas 95-97 has only one. Did you use the intake manifold from the donor(97) or the original(94) engine?

Gas vacuum filter Location 95-97 version, 93-94 same location but has 2 hoses going to it.
8D80A381-E906-48ED-A57B-BD645BD5EFFC.jpeg

Yes, Im referring to PAIR. Guessing you used the exhaust manifolds from the donor engine in lieu of block off plates. Vacuum fuel/gas filter screws into the top of the intake (next to PCV hose nipple) and has a hose that goes to the fuel rail. 93-94 has 2 hoses whereas 95-97 has only one. Did you use the intake manifold from the donor(97) or the original(94) engine?

Gas vacuum filter Location 95-97 version, 93-94 same location but has 2 hoses going to it.
View attachment 2367952

Now I’m following. I forgot that Toyota calls that a gas filter. I’m running the 2 port from the ‘94 with one port blocked off. Mainly because I left a wrench laying on top of the manifold then closed the hood. Which broke the single port one from the ‘97. I’m running the ‘94 exhaust manifolds and I moved the o2 sensors into the PAIR valve holes. My down pipe was rotten so I replaced with a Magnaflow unit that many here have used. It only has 1 o2 sensor port so I blocked it off and moved them to the manifolds after talking to a few folks who had done that.

Any vacuum leaks at the vsv valves, lines under the intake? Have you unplugged the alternator connector yet?

Will have to wait till tomorrow afternoon when I can get under the hood of my 94 beater 80 to see the vacuum diagram as it’s original engine has too been replaced with one from a 97. The additional port is for the PAIR at the end of the line but I can’t remember what is in between.

Hi, So did you drop the old gas out? Did you check the fuel pump and sock ? Also try non-ethonol gas. Mike

Any vacuum leaks at the vsv valves, lines under the intake? Have you unplugged the alternator connector yet?

Will have to wait till tomorrow afternoon when I can get under the hood of my 94 beater 80 to see the vacuum diagram as it’s original engine has too been replaced with one from a 97. The additional port is for the PAIR at the end of the line but I can’t remember what is in between.

I currently have all the vsv’s unhooked and ports plugged. I did this temporarily to eliminate the chance of a vacuum leak there. Engine reacts the same way with them hooked up or unhooked. I see where some guys have eliminated them permanently. Not sure if that’s the route I’ll take. I haven’t unhooked the alternator yet. I was in for the evening.

Hi, So did you drop the old gas out? Did you check the fuel pump and sock ? Also try non-ethonol gas. Mike

Drained and refilled with 12 gallons of non ethanol. Fuel pump and sock are both new.

Tried unplugging the alternator at idle. Didn’t change anything. I pulled the top cover off of the AFM and cleaned it with MAF sensor cleaner. It’s not falling on its face under throttle and in gear now like it was. Cold start did almost the same thing as usual but didn’t quite die after cleaning this. It caught itself right before it died and idled back up. It then hunted for idle until it got warm. This was a used AFM and someone has removed the cap that covers the adjustment screw. Is there a standard adjustment on these things? Like 1&1/4 turns out, 2 turns, etc? I’m sure Mr T put that cap over the screw for a reason. He never intended for it to be adjusted.

Hi, Have you pulled the codes? Mike

No codes. Fuel filter is new. The list of things I’ve done and parts that have been changed is all on page 1.

So I pulled my VFM to check E2 & VS pins while opening the plate. Ohm values all over the map as the plate is opened. 2600 when closed. Jumps to 3000 as I open it, then back to 2700, then up to 5800, back to 2700, and when fully open only 780. According to the FSM, I think it’s safe to say that this VFM needs to be replaced. Should be a smooth increase across the plate instead of sporadic. @offr0adlim0

So I pulled my VFM to check E2 & VS pins while opening the plate. Ohm values all over the map as the plate is opened. 2600 when closed. Jumps to 3000 as I open it, then back to 2700, then up to 5800, back to 2700, and when fully open only 780. According to the FSM, I think it’s safe to say that this VFM needs to be replaced. Should be a smooth increase across the plate instead of sporadic. @offr0adlim0

Good deal. Now the real fun starts. Hunting down a part that was only used for 2 years on a 1fzfe in the states.

Good deal. Now the real fun starts. Hunting down a part that was only used for 2 years on a 1fzfe in the states.

Yeah I spent a little time on that this afternoon. Not gonna be fun. Reman supply is dried up, China knockoff looks sketchy at best, and unknown condition used units seem to be sparse and higher than pterodactyl tits when you do find one.

Yeah I spent a little time on that this afternoon. Not gonna be fun. Reman supply is dried up, China knockoff looks sketchy at best, and unknown condition used units seem to be sparse and higher than pterodactyl tits when you do find one.
If you haven't already searched it, there is an option a few folks have tried from the 94-98 Camry. Search in here for Camry and you are likely to find it.

Good Luck!

Also try @slow95z and @arcteryx as they do used parts and may have a good used one.

Based on your description, I would check in the following order:
I know you've already done some of this.

IAC Valve clean / replace
MAF
Wiring Harness by EGR

Unfortunately, you have already touched and messed with so many things, you're having some unknown conditions and you feel like you've already done it all.
Try to get out of your own head an look at each one from a new aspect as if you are helping a friend and have never been exposed to it. Outside the box.

Make sure you have the AC button shut off.
Make sure all your ground cables are installed. There are at least (6) in the engine compartment.

Good Luck!
Any tips to cleaning the IAC. Pulled mine and wasn’t sure what to look for. Luckily years ago I replaced the hardware with cap screws. I wonder if the O-ring gets old and fails which makes the problem worse.

Any tips to cleaning the IAC. Pulled mine and wasn’t sure what to look for. Luckily years ago I replaced the hardware with cap screws. I wonder if the O-ring gets old and fails which makes the problem worse.
I don't have any tips, as I have not done mine. All I can offer is to search in here, as I know others have done it and posted about it.

The IAC itself normally does not require cleaning. It is the internal passages within the upper intake manifold that the IAC modulates that can be plugged that need to be cleaned.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom