New 80 owner here. ‘97 Flexus Lx450 81,XXX mi. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
His name’s MiLo, ‘cause mpg. I’m currently on the slow-build, but we’ve been adventuring already! 200 mile off-road on our first trip. Did the mudflap delete, tires, oil, diffs/transfer case fluids, radiator flush and some other little baseline stuff then hit the woods. After some hose replacements, I think I’m ready to do the valve cover gasket and adjust some valves. Then front brake rotors, and a long list of 26 year old electrical components. This has been my dream car since I was a kid, and I’m thrilled.

6FE5B832-93D0-4242-B88D-B92A2479B04B.jpeg

4164E807-FEF8-4BAE-B081-CDB85755FA7B.jpeg

2842B97A-9F1F-4FF8-A22A-02AAF4CAC45F.jpeg

897E4D85-C13D-4486-BB14-2074D7CD025C.png

Welcome! Looks like a survivor. Seems a lot of folks joining recently with what appear to almost mint vehicles. Where are they all coming from?

Welcome! Looks like a survivor. Seems a lot of folks joining recently with what appear to almost mint vehicles. Where are they all coming from?
This one was a family come-up! Jokingly told an uncle to let me know before he sold… he did and I scrambled to move some funds around. Couldn’t pass it up!

Welcome to Mud nice find
The Valve's shouldn't need adjustment they have sims, don't fix what ain't broke unless its old rubber !

Welcome to Mud nice find
The Valve's shouldn't need adjustment they have sims, don't fix what ain't broke unless its old rubber !
Welcome to Mud nice find
Either way I’ll be checking their clearance when I do this gasket, and both my mechanic and I feel there’s no harm in me checking on 5/6 cyl valves. The manual has me under the impression I can do them with a screw driver on the fuel injected 1997 fzj80. Is there something I’m missing?

Either way I’ll be checking their clearance when I do this gasket, and both my mechanic and I feel there’s no harm in me checking on 5/6 cyl valves. The manual has me under the impression I can do them with a screw driver on the fuel injected 1997 fzj80. Is there something I’m missing?
Definitely no harm in checking !
Are you using the FSM ?
Like I said they take shims, you won't be adjusting them with a screw driver, I suspect your mechanic has not worked on a 1FZ-FE

Like I said they take shims, you won't be adjusting them with a screw driver, I suspect your mechanic has not worked on a 1FZ-FE

This is very sound advice. If you plan on using a mechanic, find one that is very familiar with the 1FZFE.

And you can DL the FSM from MUD. Just use search, it will give you good training for all the searching you'll inevitably be doing for the foreseeable future. Congrats!

Welcome to Mud nice find
Right? And 81,XXX is practically new!

This is very sound advice. If you plan on using a mechanic, find one that is very familiar with the 1FZFE.

And you can DL the FSM from MUD. Just use search, it will give you good training for all the searching you'll inevitably be doing for the foreseeable future. Congrats!
I don’t plan on using a mechanic for work but my pre purchase inspection/ “help me diagnose this please” guys are pretty versed in all things lexus/ Toyota. He just mentioned I should check and that 5/6 may need some adjustment, after driving and listening. It was my initial reading of the manual that had me under the impression I’d get away with not having to use shims, but y’all have saved me the unpleasant surprise of finding out after I get the cover off. Many thanks for that.

Right? And 81,XXX is practically
Definitely no harm in checking !
Are you using the FSM ?
Nah that Hanes banger, but just saw the mention of a downloadable factory manual. Leave my mechanics alone haha. He never mentioned the method of adjustment just something I mistakenly gleaned from my reading of the Hanes manual. Will be getting the Factory one ASAP.

Right? And 81,XXX is practically new!
California sun and lack of upkeep has taken it’s toll on many of the components, but mechanically this thing is humming. Just needs some love that on pre purchase, it looks like it never got since birth. Rotors, electrics, most rubber under the hood, pulley or two, some bushings and suspension, VC gasket and a crank seal and it should be good 🥵.

Gear box is TIGHT though and the whole smiles per gallon cliche is pretty real 😀

Yours looks gooood. And it’s not seeming like my previous owner put much time or thought into upkeep 😣.
Nice find! and welcome!

Party! I have the same one. About to finish final thorough baseline components. The wealth of knowledge & resources here is endless. Treat ‘em right, and you’re solid.

View attachment 3161577
Nice looking truck. I also have the same one. Always debated swapping out the front logo like it seems you've done, but my back 450 emblem cracked when I repainted the hatch, so I ordered a Landcruiser logo. Now I've got a Lexus Landcruiser. Love it, but having an endless list of what you CAN do to make it EVEN cooler can be expensive (but fun). I like the color of yours!

20221211_113248 (1).jpg

20221124_201226.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom