"New" 80 at the pick and pull!! What should I possibly grab?! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just popped up, a 97 with a super smashed front! It's only an hour or so away in Ohio, you guys got any basic suggestions besides the entire motor?!

Just popped up, a 97 with a super smashed front! It's only an hour or so away in Ohio, you guys got any basic suggestions besides the entire motor?!
At this age, the list is too long. Running gear, various electronics, lights, interior pieces, window motors, locks, and on and on. Just buy the truck.

^^^ This. If you can get it and have space to store it, the best way is to get the complete truck.

In my case, my parts truck has provided me with headlights, grill, interior trim pieces, steering wheel. seat motors, spare cruise control system, rear diff, spare front hubs, full set of OEM alloys, etc... Well worth my original $700 purchase price.

You have a warehouse, right?

^^^ This. If you can get it and have space to store it, the best way is to get the complete truck.

In my case, my parts truck has provided me with headlights, grill, interior trim pieces, steering wheel. seat motors, spare cruise control system, rear diff, spare front hubs, full set of OEM alloys, etc... Well worth my original $700 purchase price.

You have a warehouse, right?

I do but the thing is sitting on it's rotors with the front end destroyed and windows smashed it would need to be dragged, believe me I thought of that. I don't want the thing sitting in my warehouse for 10 years leaking fluid and taking up all that space and it doesn't look like it's in any condition to be left outside in Michigan.

I'm going to go check it out in the morning and see what kind of shape it's in, pick off whatever is obvious to start and take some pics.

Just take the whole damn thing

We had one stripped to the chassis in about two days once our club got wind it was at the LKQ. They wouldn't sell the whole truck. Maybe you'll have better luck.

Abs pump. Front seats. Rear hatch and all the nuts n bolts you can pilfer. Oh and I’ve heard the air box is no longer available. Hearsay I’ll be at Toyota tomorrow to ask

I need this radio knob if you don’t mind grabbing it?

devo

3DD4F120-985D-4973-A1C9-EB0921F34B5F.jpeg

I'd go over your rig with a fine tooth comb first for anything you're not 100% happy with. I personally keep a "just in case" list of the random things I'd grab off a wreck if they're in front of me and the price is right. A little bit of plastic trim that's scuffed more than you'd like is a good example. Stuff you wouldn't go out of your way to track down, but you wouldn't mind grabbing given the chance.

Apart from that, it depends on your budget. I personally have decided I wouldn't buy a complete parts rig. Knowing me, I'd feel compelled to try and fix it up, and suddenly my parts rig becomes another thing I need to buy parts for.... or a chassis if the parts are good and that's the problem.

I drive a HZJ80, so my list will be different to some others, but I'd go drivetrain components personally, IE, front and rear diff centres, axles, CVs, prop shafts. The amount of time and hassle you can save yourself if you have known good things like that ready to go is real. Garb random small things like spare relays and bolts too, always useful. Consider what's still available new though. I wouldn't buy anything second-hand that you could pickup new for a decent price, unless I needed it now or I was getting it for free, or much much cheaper. I've made the mistake in the past of paying for second-hand parts I later found I could have got brand new for less.

Good door cards
glass
Headlights
Steering wheel
Shifter knob
Front seats
Front and rear differential
Wheels
Steering gear
Power steering pump
Real lift gate and tailgate
Taillights
Front ABS harness
Front and rear locker harnesses
Diff lock switch
CDL switch
Hazard switch
Gauge cluster
Fender flares

At the pick and pulls I've visited, they won't sell entire truck. Said they "cant". Something to do with being non certifiable for driving. Had a very nice 80 a year ago here and i grabbed a few parts off of it with the intention of going back on a nice day and grabbing more but when we got there they said they had crushed it. Body was non wrecked. I personally think they did sell it after i was told they couldn't

So went to see her and she was picked over pretty well which isn't surprising but not entirely, sad to see her like that it looked like she was in decent shape. Rear hatch was gone, dash was gone as well as the front interior doors. I got a few easy things including some stock floor mats which were shockingly in good condition other than the driver one of course, but I didn't have the chance to get everything I wanted I need to get into work. Plus I need to research how to remove certain things such as the steering wheel, also going to see if I can get the sunroof trim without cracking it, the dome lights, dome lights the window bottom trim looks pretty nice and might just take the entire rear door interiors...

Not sure what else, what do you guys see? Give me a second going to attach pics from my phone....

Last edited:
Someone needs to grab those axles (with wheels, makes getting the axles out a breeze), the steering box, the power steering pump, transfer case, trans cooler, CDL control box and pigtail, and MAF ($$$ to replace). Two guys can have all that out in an afternoon. Been there. That was a good day.

Last edited:
Francis, are the seatbelts intact? If so I need those and will buy them from you and give you extra for your trouble.

I need the front two.

Which yard is this in? So much left, I may have to cover a buddy's time to pay this a visit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom