New 8 speed transmission... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow, having driven a 2017 Tacoma for the better part of last year and dealing with the rough shifting and grear hunting, I can confirm the 2013 Land Cruiser has the same hunting gear behavior, but I will say the shifting is much smoother (on my 6 speed). Was thinking about a 2nd LC with the 8 speed transmission, but hearing that there are similar issues to the complaints about the Tacoma makes me wonder if waiting for the 2020 refresh is the way to go.
I haven’t noticed any hunting in my 2013.

I haven’t noticed any hunting in my 2013.

Ditto, my 2013 shifts just fine. I do keep mine in ECT PWR mode because on 34s there's a small off-the-line performance hit, but even in normal "eco" mode it acts fine, just takes more gas to get it to downshift

For me, probably it is just that I live in a very hilly area of the PNW. I can’t drive 2 miles without hitting decent incline/decline. Downshift 2 gears, up shift 1, back down 1...cruise a bit and then repeat. My Tacoma only needed a strong headwind to cause a downshift...def not saying I’m unhappy with the LC, just see some similarity in transmission behavior between the two.

No probs with a 6sp at 170k and an 8sp at 46k now. That 8sp has towed our offroad trailer across the country and back and banged around pretty good offroad outwest with it. Now I'll say Toyota still has the problem they've ALWAYS had of the most piss-poor cruise control shifting logic ever put in an automobile and it would be nice to see some improvement there but my 200 tranny's are treating me like gold. :)

For me, probably it is just that I live in a very hilly area of the PNW. I can’t drive 2 miles without hitting decent incline/decline. Downshift 2 gears, up shift 1, back down 1...cruise a bit and then repeat. My Tacoma only needed a strong headwind to cause a downshift...def not saying I’m unhappy with the LC, just see some similarity in transmission behavior between the two.
If you are going up and down hills, the transmission is supposed to shift gears. The more gears a transmission has, the more frequently it will shift. The whole point of having more gears is to keep the engine speed in the best RPM band.

If you are going up and down hills, the transmission is supposed to shift gears. The more gears a transmission has, the more frequently it will shift. The whole point of having more gears is to keep the engine speed in the best RPM band.

Totally agree! IMO - I think the best systems shift in a manner that the driver is not actually aware of the shifting activity. In our X1 and CRV (CVT so diff animal, I know) I barely notice the shifting and RPM. Just seems like it is more noticeable in this rig. All I meant, don’t want to :deadhorse:

I suspect the X1 is a far lighter vehicle. Not sure about the difference in power that has to be compensated for. We, too, have the CRV w/ CVT and it is of course smooth because there are no gears.

I had to take my 2016 in for a scheduled maintenance today and I did ask about the fact that, on occasion (rare occasion) the transmission seem to get confused. For me this is only noticeable in the lowest gears when starting out. The tech I spoke to asked me whether multiple drivers drive the LC. This transmission, as I am sure you know, adapts to your driving style. It can only do that for one driver. If a different driver drives the LC with a substantively different driving style then the learning algorithms will reset and attempt to adapt to the new driver. That can go back and forth. (IIRC, the 8-speed transmission on my 2014 MDX and my 2014 LR4 had the same situation and the same symptoms.) My wife rarely drives the LC so I am going to pay special attention the next time I drive it after she does to see if that is when I notice the "lumpiness" in the shifting. I also occasionally tow a trailer which, to the transmission is going to look very much different than my normal driving. So I am also going to pay attention following a significant period of towing. If I notice a correlation then that will answer any questions that I have. (FYI, whenever I am towing I am in ECT PWR mode and only using S6 and lower.)

Picked up today and wow the difference is amazing. Shifts so smooth now. Night and day difference. I have to look at the rpms to tell it shifts. They obviously made a trans update but the new trans is what the truck should be.

Great to hear. Keep us posted.

I would REALLY like to hear the root cause for the issues on some of these. Doubt we will ever find out though.

Just got my LC back from the dealership this afternoon and service manager said that it has the latest version of ECM programming, dated July 13, 2017 Rev 1.
As stated before, while this revision resolves the issue of harsh shifting when cold, and "computer confusion" regarding gear selection in some situations, it still doesn't resolve the issue of harsh shift between 1st and 2nd at low speed and feathering the gas pedal (mimicking bumper-to-bumper traffic in downtown). From stop or speed below 5mph, feather the gas pedal and see if you get this shock between 1st and 2nd gear, and was able to recreate it while the tech was in the car with me. I'd like to know if others owners are having the same problem and hopefully not the ECM in my LC.
Did you ever get this resolved? I have a 2016, did the sw update and shifting from 1-2 is like a hesitation/skipping feeling. Very annoying .

BLUF: Have the tech update and reboot the install laptop before connecting to your car!

So a funny thing happened at the dealer, when they tried to update my 2016 LC trans ECU with the TSB/update this past December, the install laptop rebooted mid-update and BRICKED my ecu! Apparently they cant just install a new os/image, they have to get a new ecu from Toyota North America. The advisor told me this happens now and then (seriously, wtf?), I sugeested theyt update their install computer and rebooting BEFORE connecting to a customers car so it the chances of bricking the ECU will be minimal, but I felt like I was talking to a wall.

The update resolved the hard 2-3 shift and has been fantastic since. I wont get into how Toyota gave me the run-around of getting me into another SUV a few days before Christmas.

Last edited:
Reviving this thread - who makes the 8 speed? Is it an Aisin-Warner unit?

More searching appears to be an Aisin AA80F. Used on numerous Lexus vehicles (AA80E) prior to its use in the LC. Appears to have been in the 2007+ LS460s and have not heard of any issues from them long term.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom