For Sale NEW - 79+ FJ40 3/4 Pilgrim Tub (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
$6500 OBO

I bought this back when Pilgrim Tubs and products were top quality. Had quite the good reputation in the day.

Here's Pilgrim's description:

"The steel we are getting now comes from the States. U.S. steel is of much higher quality and every sheet is the same quality. No more seconds being slid into the order like is commonly done in Central and South America. These are the first tubs that I've built with high quality 18 gauge, zinc coated U.S. sheet metal. This zinc coated sheet metal is a highly corrosion / rust resistant metal that has a high mix of zinc and is also finished with a zinc top coating.

Paul has said that he added all new production spot welders to his line that produce an extremely accurate burn which produces super strong even joints.

Paul has remade and perfected about 70% of his presses and jigs that he used last year for fewer hand built parts and for perfect assembly fit.

Paul said, "It's taken about 19 years to be able to get to this stage of quality production. All of my tubs are hand assembled, in jigs. This takes time but we guarantee that the fit is perfect. If the tub does not fit, then your chassis is out of line."

"Each tub is jigged 3 times around the shop to make sure that the final product is good and square before it's shipped. The 1/2 tub is jigged. Then when the front pan is added ...it gets jigged again. Then as a complete assembly it is placed into a final jig and rechecked for alignment and fit all the way around."

This YouTube video from an east coast professional shop describes the same exact tub. The tub I'm selling was in the same shipment to the states as this one.

I welcome any to view the tub and see quality for themselves (Denver, CO area). I can also provide further pictures. I will assist with shipping coordination but the cost is paid by buyer. Or, hopefully you're close enough to pick it up.

Thanks,
Chris

IMG_20141011_145217.jpg

IMG_20141011_145321.jpg

IMG_20141011_150448.jpg

Last edited:
I've been looking for one like this for some time but mine is a 75. Oh well, at least I know they are still out there somewhere! I have an aftermarket 28-gallon long range tank installed under the seats and I understand from Aqualu that their aluminum tubs don't work well with that tank either. It's a purdy tub for sure, wish it would fit.

I've been looking for one like this for some time but mine is a 75. Oh well, at least I know they are still out there somewhere! I have an aftermarket 28-gallon long range tank installed under the seats and I understand from Aqualu that their aluminum tubs don't work well with that tank either. It's a purdy tub for sure, wish it would fit.

They come up every once in a while. Good luck with your search!

I owned one, they are top quality but the rear door opening is square not rounded like the US trucks. So if your restoring a 79-84 your amby doors won't match the tub body lines. You could source a set of 75-78 amby doors or rework the rear of the tub. This is a very fair price for a tub that is no longer available , they were the best repros.

How much difference between the 77 and 79+. I bet it would be significant process just to merge the 2.

Good luck with the sale. I forwarded your ad to friend of mine here in Steamboat who needs a tub for his BJ. Hopefully it works out for both of you all.

I owned one, they are top quality but the rear door opening is square not rounded like the US trucks. So if your restoring a 79-84 your amby doors won't match the tub body lines. You could source a set of 75-78 amby doors or rework the rear of the tub. This is a very fair price for a tub that is no longer available , they were the best repros.

I appreciate the input from someone who has worked with Pilgrim tubs.

How much difference between the 77 and 79+. I bet it would be significant process just to merge the 2.

Good luck with the sale. I forwarded your ad to friend of mine here in Steamboat who needs a tub for his BJ. Hopefully it works out for both of you all.

I can only think of the major items. 79+ gas tank under tub, parking brake on floor, no space between seats and floor. I'm sure others that can speak to the differences. I seem to remember a thread years ago where someone put together a 79+ tub with an older cruiser.

Steamboat would be an easy haul. Thanks for forwarding.

I can only think of the major items. 79+ gas tank under tub, parking brake on floor, no space between seats and floor. I'm sure others that can speak to the differences.

How it mated to the cowl is completely different. The 78 and early have a removable transmission cover. 79 and later only have a inspection cover. The angle of the two are different. The shape of the A pillar is different between the two. The difference between the 78 and 79 tub was the hardest to contend with in all years of the 40 series. I thought about trying to use a 82 FJ40 tub back to the B pillar mate to the B pillar back of a 45 65 FJ45 pickup cab to gain the larger gas tank (to me the biggest advantage 79+ tub) but figure it would open a whole can of worms figuring the seats out. I know the 73-78 buckets are to deep for the pickup. Guessing later bucket seats are too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom