new 70 series owner with questions (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just bought a 89 BJ 74. She runs and drives fairly well, but I have some things to do to make her right. I have some questions that perhaps need more threads, but If anyone is willing to answer here then that's great.
1. I need a heater core anyone know a good source in the US for a 70 series heater core?
2. Need a new radiator. I see many on Ebay, but not sure if they actually fit even though they say they do. Price range I'm seeing is $125-250. Any advice?
3. I don't have air conditioning and I want it. I'm not sure if the factory "air box" has enough room to add a evaporator core in on top of the heater core. I don't see the room for a aftermarket underdash unit as the shifters will hit it. Theres room on top of the dash, but not sure of the depth. Any advice on this?
4. I am considering a "fuel heater" or relocated heater core/bus heater and then having the place of the current heater core open for a evaporater core and AC. Any advice on this?
5. Anyone have a source for a 3b diesel AC compressor bracket and whatever different "waterneck" may be required? Currently I have a idler pully and no compressor.
6. The rear door sags from the weight of the tire over the years and is hard to shut tight. Is there a way to re-align/adjust the hinges?
7. Any good part source for "dash parts" such as vent louvers etc. alot of my dash pieces are cracked up?
8. I do not have locking hubs, or auto-locking hubs they are solid and the axle is turning with the wheels all the time. Is it relatively simple to install locking hubs such as Aisin or warn?

I'm in the US so I can't just go to a wrecking yard and find another 70 series study, to canablize or get parts from. I can only search online and try to find something that works.
Any advice appreciated.

Congrats.
Www.partsouq.com
Put your VIN in the Toyota section and get all the parts you need.

heater core you will have to see if yours can be repaired by a competent radiator shop or find used.
same with radiator unless you use @Gun Runner 5 odd iron off-road aluminum radiator.
mine was able to be repaired.

Factory a/c was an option although you will be piecing it together from new and used parts.
Door hinges can be adjusted by loosening and moving hinges, but most likely the hinges are wore out. You can replace with new.

you said 3b. A bj74 should have a 13BT turbo diesel, not 3b unless swapped.

post up some pics!

Let me help you with number 8....don't bother. Welcome btw!

I buy a lot of parts through Partsouq.com. Another good resource is ToyoDIY.com. Same MO; put your vin number in and you can pull up parts diagrams.

Is there a way to re-align/adjust the hinges?
I dont think there is any adjustment on the rear hinges , so you buy new With the new ones give them some lubrication twice a year.Put some rubber grease on the rubber door seals.

There is more parts in the US than there ever was. Look on the MUD classifieds in the appropriate sections .

You haven't mentioned whether its LHD or RHD, that will make a big difference regarding the heating/aircon.
Most RH are in Japan and Australia. Most LH are in Europe

2. Need a new radiator. I see many on Ebay, but not sure if they actually fit even though they say they do. Price range I'm seeing is $125-250. Any advice?

Can you repair the old one? Be wary of whats on ebay and anything online. Hang around and sooner or later you will get a lead on one.

Just bought a 89 BJ 74. She runs and drives fairly well, but I have some things to do to make her right. I have some questions that perhaps need more threads, but If anyone is willing to answer here then that's great.
1. I need a heater core anyone know a good source in the US for a 70 series heater core?
3. I don't have air conditioning and I want it. I'm not sure if the factory "air box" has enough room to add a evaporator core in on top of the heater core. I don't see the room for a aftermarket underdash unit as the shifters will hit it. Theres room on top of the dash, but not sure of the depth. Any advice on this?
4. I am considering a "fuel heater" or relocated heater core/bus heater and then having the place of the current heater core open for a evaporater core and AC. Any advice on this?
5. Anyone have a source for a 3b diesel AC compressor bracket and whatever different "waterneck" may be required? Currently I have a idler pully and no compressor.
6. The rear door sags from the weight of the tire over the years and is hard to shut tight. Is there a way to re-align/adjust the hinges?
7. Any good part source for "dash parts" such as vent louvers etc. alot of my dash pieces are cracked up?
8. I do not have locking hubs, or auto-locking hubs they are solid and the axle is turning with the wheels all the time. Is it relatively simple to install locking hubs such as Aisin or warn?

I'm in the US so I can't just go to a wrecking yard and find another 70 series study, to canablize or get parts from. I can only search online and try to find something that works.
Any advice appreciated.

....... at your convenience

Thank you all for your replies so far. The BJ was imported from Spain(not by me). Left side drive. It is very spartan. No turbo, no locking hubs(solid hubs), FRP top, and it has some very heavy duty troop seats added in(not original). There are a number of indentations in the ceiling liner/insulation in the rear that are the same size and shape as the flash suppressor on a rifle. It is a white truck and has been repainted. It may have been one of those UN trucks at one time.??

Thank you all for your replies so far. The BJ was imported from Spain(not by me). Left side drive. It is very spartan. No turbo, no locking hubs(solid hubs), FRP top, and it has some very heavy duty troop seats added in(not original). There are a number of indentations in the ceiling liner/insulation in the rear that are the same size and shape as the flash suppressor on a rifle. It is a white truck and has been repainted. It may have been one of those UN trucks at one time.??

so what you have is a BJ73. There were no left hand drive BJ74. (Maybe a LHD for Dakar race qualification but not muchinfo there)

should be a BJ73, and be glad from Spain you got a 3B and not the VM motor. Parts are still all over for the 3b.
@joekatana has a kit for LHD A/c on the 70 series

If you want or feel comfortable, you can post up the VIN or VIN tag and that will tell us a lot. Put up some pictures as well.

Welcome to Mud.
:flipoff2:

You have come to the right place.

Another good parts source is Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters. You will also be surprised what you may be able to source from a US dealer if you have the part number.

Am I wrong to assume this is 24v?

And just so you know, we are very visual bunch - this thread is worthless without pics.

Heartbroken....driving the bj back to NC for the first time and she hears up. Radiator cap left off and water boiled out. Let her cool a bit and restarted to make it to a water hose. Refilled with water very slowly. Got back on the road and all seems well. 30 miles later she starts loosing power and in the rear view I see excess smoke. I push in the clutch and the engine dies. Pull over and steam is coming out. I look down and see a freeze plug repaired with J-B weld that has blown out. All the water left the engine and she roverheated even though the temp guage was ok. After a hour I restarted the truck to pull over to a parking lot. Engine is hard to start missing and some tapping noise and a little brown smoke on start.......ugh. I am afraid I have cracked the head and or block......... It's easy enough to pull the head and inspect, but not sure about the block.

thats A bummer. I’d be talking with the seller ASAP about that, but my guess is as is.
Basically the same thing happened to the previous owner of My BJ74. He was driving down the interstate coolant hose blew, overheated and blew the head gasket bent a push rod and scored the cylinder.
I bought it from him and the rebuilt the engine. You can look at my rebuild thread posted inmy signature.
How many miles?
I’d do a compression test, if you are lucky just a headgasket, but my gut feeling is it’s more than that. Personally I’d be tempted to swap something different in if it was just a 3b. 13bt or 1HZ is a different story about rebuilding.

Last edited:
Basically you are seeing the truth of buying a gray market vehicle....

On a 3B, head gasket is toast at the very minimum; head is at least toast at the precups. More than likely toast between the valves.

thats A bummer. I’d be talking with the seller ASAP about that, but my guess is as is.
Basically the same thing happened to the previous owner of My BJ74. He was driving down the interstate coolant hose blew, overheated and blew the head gasket bent a push rod and scored the cylinder.
I bought it from him and the rebuilt the engine. You can look at my rebuild thread posted inmy signature.
How many miles?
I’d do a compression test, if you are lucky just a headgasket, but my gut feeling is it’s more than that. Personally I’d be tempted to swap something different in if it was just a 3b. 13bt or 1HZ is a different story about rebuilding.
I'm looking at options now. It's a BJ73 with a 3B non turbo. Not sure what all will bolt right up to the tranny with no mods. Unfortunately most of the options are very rare here in the US. Not sure about Canada.

Basically you are seeing the truth of buying a gray market vehicle....

On a 3B, head gasket is toast at the very minimum; head is at least toast at the precups. More than likely toast between the valves.
I'm expecting the head to be cracked. Any chance the block or bore could be damaged? Does the 3B have cylinder liners? I can get a new reproduction head for about $600. If the block is bad and I need to do a engine swap then that makes it difficult as the toyota diesels that bolt to the H55 are rare here in the US. I'd love to have a 1HZ or 13/14/15 BT but I don't know where to find them stateside.

I'm looking at options now. It's a BJ73 with a 3B non turbo. Not sure what all will bolt right up to the tranny with no mods. Unfortunately most of the options are very rare here in the US. Not sure about Canada.
It's a used car, as is. I don't think he knew about the JB weld on the freeze plugs, but that would be a legit repair for some people. I personally would have used one of the Dorman rubber freeze plugs for a hard to reach location that I couldn't get to to install a normal freeze plug. Whoever did the JB weld probably didn't know about the rubber freeze plugs.

I'm expecting the head to be cracked. Any chance the block or bore could be damaged? Does the 3B have cylinder liners? I can get a new reproduction head for about $600. If the block is bad and I need to do a engine swap then that makes it difficult as the toyota diesels that bolt to the H55 are rare here in the US. I'd love to have a 1HZ or 13/14/15 BT but I don't know where to find them stateside.

Possibly. You won’t know a thing until you remove the head.

None of this is rocket science. These are 30+ year old engines.

You are throwing the bathtub out with the bath water without actually knowing what you are dealing with or even if things are as bad as you think they might be.

Take one step at a time dude.

3b has liners/sleeves.

I would pull the head off and get a look before panicking too much. Plenty of parts to get that 3b up and running. Assess whats wrong then you can decide the best path.

Rob,
Welcome to the forum and I’m sorry you are having such a bad first experience with your truck. Where in NC are you located? I’m in Greensboro and know a little bit about these trucks, especially the imports from Spain. I’ve got some rear door hinges and dash parts. Can you post a few pictures? An engine picture of two might help give us an idea what you are working with. I would have the radiator recored. It will be better than a Chinese built radiator and cheaper than a Toyota radiator. In my experience, most of the Spanish trucks I’ve seen were running straight water in the cooling system with NO coolant. They don’t need anti freeze in Spain and they don’t run it. The problem with straight water is the rusting and gunking that happens inside the engine, radiator and heater core. Your heater core is probably plugged up with rust and silt, may be the same problem with the radiator. You may be able to have the radiator hot tanked and cleaned up. I have a lot more questions than answers right now. I’d be very interested in seeing some pictures of the engine and engine bay. Can you post some? I’ve seen lot of thrown together Spanish trucks and want to see what you have. It will make assisting you easier.
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom