Builds 1966 FJ45LV Capri (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m sure it will go faster, but I am in a pretty hilly area, that was just surface streets. Need to get it out on the freeway I guess and see what else she has I suppose but speed isn’t my priority ;) the F135 is certainly inferior to the F155 though my first FJ was a 72 and that engine was definitely better. We will need to get ours together for a Play date one of these days!

Time to hit the trails with @JackA and get that thing dirty. :steer:

50 mph is your top speed ? That's not right. My wagon can cruise at 70 mph as long as its flat.....lol. I have had it up to 80 plus before too. Granted I do have a 74 F motor, which is alittle better than an f135.

LV is looking very nice though.

My LV project has a 1979 2F. Still not a runner. Have always wondered if the 2F would be enough for the old girl. Considered a LS V8 swap but know that is tantamount to sacrilege around here. Plus I don’t want to spend the money since I already have the 2F rebuilt and installed.

My LV project has a 1979 2F. Still not a runner. Have always wondered if the 2F would be enough for the old girl. Considered a LS V8 swap but know that is tantamount to sacrilege around here. Plus I don’t want to spend the money since I already have the 2F rebuilt and installed.
I had 3 different 2Fs and they’re great engines. I would keep it. Plenty of power and still a classic Toyota straight 6! if my engine wasn’t original or I was in need of a new one, a 2F is the direction I would go. And an H55F ;)

I’m sure it will go faster, ...but speed isn’t my priority ;) t
Nice wagon.
Speed is indeed unimportant with these cars.
The Red FJ45 Can`s top speed was about 78 mph... wasn´t fun at 78 mph.
Best speed to drive on flat was between 48 and 55 mph.
(......must always convert kilometer into miles)
On a freeway I drove about 65..
I avoided to use freeways.
Enjoy your wagon.

... forgotten:
I was satisfied with the 3 speed gearbox.
I am modest .....
45..45´45:1.jpg
.....:)

Last edited:
Nice wagon.
Speed is indeed unimportant with these cars.
The Red FJ45 Can`s top speed was about 78 mph... wasn´t fun at 78 mph.
Best speed to drive on flat was between 48 and 55 mph.
(......must always convert kilometer into miles)
On a freeway I drove about 65..
I avoided to use freeways.
Enjoy your wagon.

... forgotten:
I was satisfied with the 3 speed gearbox.
I am modest .....
View attachment 2113485.....:)
The Red FJ45 Can had the same top speed as the MG TC ..tested on the freeway @ May 1, 2012 /#119
I`m on the left with the Can a bit behind the TC to shoot the pic.:)
dsc01086mrfnl.jpg

I had 3 different 2Fs and they’re great engines. I would keep it. Plenty of power and still a classic Toyota straight 6! if my engine wasn’t original or I was in need of a new one, a 2F is the direction I would go. And an H55F ;)

An H55F. That is the 5 speed transmission. How hard to swap and where is best place to procure one? Or two. My 82 FJ40 could used one also.

Edit: what is difference between H55 and and H55F?

Last edited:
An H55F. That is the 5 speed transmission. How hard to swap and where is best place to procure one? Or two. My 82 FJ40 could used one also.
I had one in a 79 and an 84 FJ43 both with the 2F and it's a great pairing. You might want to ask Georg @orangefj45 he is really knowledgeable with that kind of stuff, here's a link for one he did. I'm fortunate in that Eric Murphy @murf is local over at Camelback Toyota here in Phoenix, is very active on mud and always very helpful with this kind of thing. He got some of the parts for the swap the last time I had it done from Georg (I'm not quite mechanically inclined enough to attempt the swap myself), I believe the transmission itself came from Toyota directly though. Maybe the Toyota dealer in ATL can get them? Start with a PM to Georg.

I will probably eventually put the H55F in my LV too. Won't drive quite as well on the F135 (need to make sure it's even possible) as the 2F did but should still be a nice upgrade. I'm going to let some of the pain from the $ spent so far subside first. Probably wouldn't if my transmission was original, but since it's not might as well put the best one in there.

FYI posted a couple of new threads - looking for someone to loan (or sell) me a set of those rear seat brackets to duplicate, and happy to have several sets made if others are looking for them. Not sure on cost yet.

and also looking for one of the early style light switches if anyone has a source.

I’m also going to be working on making several of the rear bumpers (with attachments/supports) once I get a good first shot made, if any one is interested in one let me know. I can start a separate thread and get a list. Not 100% sure on price for this either I don’t have the ability to do this myself but have a good local contact for this stuff. Figured if I’m having him make me one he might as well make several if others need them.

I need a rear bumper if your get the pattern right. Let me know.

I was fortunate enough to locate the Siamese FA truck intake manifold recently, as well as I believe all the rest of the parts needed for installing one of the early 2BBL carbs. Also purchased the old MAF 4:1 exhaust headers. I'm not 100% sure I'm going to use them but I decided I better jump at the opportunity to get the parts while I could.

Generally, I like to keep my FJ's as original as I can, but this seems like a reasonably original upgrade in a way. What's everyones thoughts on this as a modification? Other than the MAF header it's all Toyota period-correct parts, and I'd be keeping all the old parts in the garage too.

I guess the bigger question though is will it be much of an improvement in power, or a waste of time? I've read everything I can, gotten some good opinions but doesn't seem like anybody has actually done this to know for sure. I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it, but you're all welcome to chime in and let me know if I'm stupid for doing so ;)

No mind has a 4 on the floor, otherwise definitely wouldn’t be worth the hassle I agree.

I’m more curious about the 2BBL improvement than the header to be honest. The header was more of a bonus in the package.

What does the H55F add to the equation? I know it is a 5 spd, but if these trucks are slow, do you need a 5th gear? Does it just make it a little quieter when at highway speeds?

H55F would certainly help with highway speeds, and it may be in my future but that's a much more complicated/expensive change so I've kind of tabled that for the time being. Maybe a year or two down the road.

While I was at Barrett Jackson today I took a closer look at the LV that sold yesterday and noticed I’m missing these pieces on the rear latch. Mine just has two screws on the top part and the little thumb piece that moves on the bottom part. Anybody have any of these they’d be willing to loan out for me to reproduce?

I also bought this FJ28L today... yikes!!!

063EF4B1-A6CF-4DA1-ABC7-4A2477CC6D3D.jpeg

19ACB7D4-A3CD-4000-8D27-489DAEA48A69.jpeg

027E9ED6-25E9-4215-902E-4BCCF83D8062.jpeg

Not kidding! Here’s the thread I started.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom