Builds 1966 FJ45LV Capri (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yes mine are gone too and i couldnt figure out looking at it; how you would attach a replacement

Mine are missing all together. But from what I've seen, they don't even unscrew off. Correct?
Correct, they’re riveted on. So we would have to drill that out to get them off. I’m thinking this would be a job for a good 3D printer if anybody knows someone.

Just now seeing these replies not sure why I didn’t get any alerts.

Finally got the old gal back in my garage this morning. We've been slowly working on it in a friend's shop, haven't been all that anxious to drive it in the Phoenix 115deg summer but its cooling down now so time to put some miles on! Really happy with how its coming along, there are still some small items here and there that I need to do that I'll detail, but its overall in very nice "driver quality" shape and the hard parts are all done. Spent way too much money on all of this, but it could have been a lot worse.

Rear bumper turned out very nice
IMG_6019.jpeg

IMG_6020.jpeg

Rear seat brackets (separate thread here) look great, they are aluminum rather than steel and cost me $600 for the set but I got shot down by half dozen machinists for making these so I was happy to have them made at all.
IMG_6021.jpeg

IMG_6022.jpeg

Last edited:
We went to a place that custom fabs motorcycle gas tanks to have them make the bottle jack dish that goes below the passenger, I think another $650 spent there but turned out nicely.
IMG_6027.jpeg

IMG_6028.jpeg

I could not for the life of me find any brackets similar to the factory ones for the jack extensions behind the spare tire, so we used some of the brackets from the FJ40 I think from early-70s.
IMG_6024.jpeg

IMG_6025.jpeg

Dash is all prettied up and repainted. I went with the same pewter as the bumpers on the cluster, glove box and ash tray which I know isn't necessarily correct but I like the look. That later model light switch is actually the "room lights", mine doesn't have those triangular dome lights inside but rather some small aftermarket ones in the foot wells that are hidden pretty nicely. I'm looking for one of the OEM room switches still to replace that with - may have found one today actually. Anybody know if my red hazard switch is original or no?
IMG_6030.jpeg

Actually don't have the choke or throttle connected right now, it runs pretty nicely as-is but that's on the to-do list. We installed the pertronix ignition and coil right away, and did some adjustments on the carb & gas pedal and that made a pretty big difference. Obviously not a fast truck but it cruises along pretty nicely right now.

Wheels got a fresh powder coat in a very light gray, and we installed some GIFU-looking mud flaps that I found in indonesia on eBay.
IMG_6035.jpeg

Also installed the 55 series mirrors as others have done.

My doors didn't shut right at all so we put in some new weatherstrip and fixed that, also put in some airline-style seatbelts I bought online, the SOR carpet kit, and SOR cowl insulator (which we had to modify slightly for the new fuse box mounted on the firewall).
IMG_6031.jpeg

I'll get it pulled out of the garage in the next few days and get some better pictures taken. Time to start enjoying it!

Oh one last thing, my LV has a rubber "plug" for the gas tank, and I've tried a few different versions of FJ40 gas caps but none of them work. Was this plug original? What kind of a cap do other owners have on their tanks?
IMG_6033.jpeg
IMG_6034.jpeg

Oh one last thing, my LV has a rubber "plug" for the gas tank, and I've tried a few different versions of FJ40 gas caps but none of them work. Was this plug original? What kind of a cap do other owners have on their tanks? View attachment 2111274View attachment 2111275
Yep the plug is original, its just missing the string that attached to the hing to keep from losing it. Earlier year LVs had a regular style gas cap.

Yep the plug is original, its just missing the string that attached to the hing to keep from losing it. Earlier year LVs had a regular style gas cap.
Thanks Antony! Good to know. Anybody ever found a suitable replacement? Mine is falling apart a little bit, would like to just store it to preserve it and use something else.

Some photos from the outside. drove it around a bit today, you can really feel the added heft on these LVs vs a 40, takes a bit to get up and going but I had it up to 50 or so. Would be scared any faster than that. I chuckle at that old Toyota ad that says they do 80mph!

Anybody know if the steering column gasket in the firewall is the same as the 40? Getting a lot of heat coming in at my lap and noticed mine is pretty toast! I’ll have to see if SOR or someone has them.

49CAFCE6-BE84-4D48-8009-F9C524063712.jpeg

77BCC1BE-25EC-45CF-A41E-CFE1827817C5.jpeg

2DF60589-C7D2-4D77-B0D1-69B6A2CB3BFE.jpeg

4A83B68D-FA4B-4918-916B-BFED08BDE1EE.jpeg

3074486F-40BA-4F5A-9A67-4CE91664FF6C.jpeg

Firewall gasket is the same. If I remember correctly the metal bracket that holds the gasket on a 45 LV has some kind of modification from Toyota, I think it’s a two piece instead of a one piece like on a 40. Should be self explanatory.
Your Is looking nice.

I really like the color combo on your LV. It's probably my favorite for an LV.
Thank you I really like it too. It’s hard to know what “correct” was on these LVs but the original was a Capri blue and white like this, I have photos from before the PO’s repaint. I’ve seen a few different shades in different builds. FJ Co’s looked more teal to me.

50 mph is your top speed ? That's not right. My wagon can cruise at 70 mph as long as its flat.....lol. I have had it up to 80 plus before too. Granted I do have a 74 F motor, which is alittle better than an f135.

LV is looking very nice though.

50 mph is your top speed ? That's not right. My wagon can cruise at 70 mph as long as its flat.....lol. I have had it up to 80 plus before too. Granted I do have a 74 F motor, which is alittle better than an f135.

LV is looking very nice though.
I’m sure it will go faster, but I am in a pretty hilly area, that was just surface streets. Need to get it out on the freeway I guess and see what else she has I suppose but speed isn’t my priority ;) the F135 is certainly inferior to the F155 though my first FJ was a 72 and that engine was definitely better. We will need to get ours together for a Play date one of these days!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom