New '65 Fj40 Project - Intro and Bug Catcher Doors / Hardtop Help - Pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello 40/55 Crew!

I've been on mud for a while but primarily in the 60 side of things with my '85. I'm new to 40's and i'm starting on a new project. This thing has sat in my stepfather's garage for 10 years, but now i've adopted it.

It's a '65 and the 33575 on the frame and firewall indicate a February build. The PO did a V8 swap. Tranny is Toyota OEM 4-speed (no more column shift), and transfer looks like 4speed (beefier around drain plug) but i'm not sure if it has the earlier 3 speed gearing. Vacuum FD still installed.

Gonna stick with the v8 just to get it running - but more on that later.

Concerning the body - It seems this thing is right in the middle of the transition year for corrugated sides, doors, tops and all that.

Here's what i've sorted so far via search, SOR catalog, and what not. I could be horribly wrong, so pics attached!

The windshield frame is a 65 with two holes for the double motors.
The doors are 62-63 bug catchers with a flat profile at the top.
The sides could be 65, but they seem to angle in just a bit.
The rear hatch could be 65.
The fiberglass top is later, and not the earlier, shorter bubble type. It also has a later style hard top visor on it.
The door bows are later, angled, and have the front mounting tabs that don't match up with the 65 windshield frame.

Can a 63-74 mish-mosh of visor, door bows, and upper door frames to get this thing to fit together without me looking for any early bubble top and corrugated unicorns?

Also started looking into new soft top bow kits and not even sure if any would mate up with these doors and windshield frame.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

- TSH

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

Last edited:
That is simply a later top. 65 was the last year for the corrugated top. I would look for one, otherwise you need different door tops to work with that later top, then you will lose the cool bug catchers. Put a want add for an early top, they are out there.

That is simply a later top. 65 was the last year for the corrugated top. I would look for one, otherwise you need different door tops to work with that later top, then you will lose the cool bug catchers. Put a want add for an early top, they are out there.
so the sides and rear hatch wouldn't be useable with an early fiberglass cap, visor, and door bows? i was hoping they just replaced those parts with later ones...damn.

If you can sort out getting the pillar post to accept the tubes from the later top, you can dress the top down and get a better perspective. The channel that goes over the doors is two pieces, and if you remove the retaining bolts from the vertical face inside, you can pop out the diagonal outer pieces. Then your doors will fit. Notch the front skirt to match your wiper motors and you should be close to a fit.

ANYTHING can be made to work, and with enough effort, work well.

MANY years ago, a client brought me a 1980 hardtop and asked me to fit it to his 1964. When I finished, he had the truck painted. HE came by a month later, and was a little forlorn. When I asked him why, he said that none of his friends appreciated the custom fit of the late model hardtop to the truck. I told him it was the highest compliment he could have given me. Perplexed, I explained that if I'd done a s***ty job, everyone would be able to tell it didn't belong to the truck.

But I made it look like it BELONGED there. ;)

Last edited:
If you can sort out getting the pillar post to accept the tubers from the later top, you can dress the top down and get a better perspective. The channel that goes over the doors is two pieces, and if you remove the retaining bolts from the vertical face inside, you can pop out the diagonal outer pieces. Then your doors will fit. Notch the front skirt to match your wiper motors and you should be close to a fit.

ANYTHING can be made to work, and with enough effort, work well.

MANY years ago, a client brought me a 1980 hardtop and asked me to fit it to his 1964. When I finished, he had the truck painted. HE came by a month later, and was a little forlorn. When I asked him why, he said that none of his friends appreciated the custom fit of the late model hardtop to the truck. I told him it was the highest compliment he could have given me. Perplexed, I explained that if I'd done a s***ty job, everyone would be able to tell it didn't belong to the truck.

But I made it look like it BELONGED there. ;)
Hey mark! I figured you’d chime in. Been a long time since you looked my 60 over. I’m sure I’ll be paying you a visit soon once I get this thing rolling. Planning on getting one of your aux tanks. Hope all is well.

Hey mark! I figured you’d chime in. Been a long time since you looked my 60 over. I’m sure I’ll be paying you a visit soon once I get this thing rolling. Planning on getting one of your aux tanks. Hope all is well.
Updates on me and the shop are in the General/Miscellaneous forum.😊

I also have a '65 with a later top and bug catcher doors. I removed the corner bit from the top but now there is a nice fat gap between the doors and the top (it has been there for nearly 30yrs now). It looks like later doors have a hunk of angle welded at an angle to the top of the door and somehow the weather strip then fills the gap. No idea on that. How did you get around that little bit?

I have my torch ready :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom