New 62 Owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my brother just bought his first truck about a week ago. He Loves my 40 but wanted something a little more for expedition's....so not a 40 series. We chose this 1990 62 that has been for sale for awhile, it has some issues but we picked it up for pretty cheap. The first thing we did was strip the whole inside and cleaned it. We both took this week off to start working on it. So yesterday we built the rear storage box which came out sweet for $60 bucks worth of material. Today we worked on the rear bumper....
Here are some pics

I thought i took more pics of the box while we built it but i guess i didnt. The back of the box is open where ill eventually put drawers if i dont like having it just open. The front of the box near the back seat has a lid and a nice size compartment to put recovery gear, etc. If any one want more pics of it i can take them.

DSCF7890.jpg

DSCF7887.jpg

DSCF7885.jpg

Next is the bumper which we did today here is a picture of how it came when we got it.
DSCF7851.jpg

First thing we did was cut the corners
DSCF7863.jpg

DSCF7865.jpg

DSCF7870.jpg

After we ground those down we cut the tire carrier off
DSCF7876.jpg

DSCF7880.jpg

And then we welded it back on all the way to the right so that we can put a basket on the left side.
DSCF7883.jpg

DSCF7891.jpg

DSCF7892.jpg

DSCF7894.jpg

Its still not done but its getting there.

Let me know what you guys think. Suggestions and criticism are always good.

Last edited:
First off, nice work on the box. Plenty big for storage. Second, Your rebuild of the bumper looks much better. Good job!

Now, about your 40. Do you have a link to a build thread? It looks awesome in these pics. Sorry to hijack.

I love seeing people's ideas for storage systems, more to mull over in planning mine.

Good job fixing up that ugly duckling of a bumper :cheers:

Great 62 - props on the box and bumper. I picked up a 62 last month and am working on a design for a storage box specific for adventure racing – good photos.

Boulder Cruiser what size is the main tube? 2x6? I like the lights in the bumper. If you have more specs on it would be great.

This is what I want to make. Nice work

Thanks,

Nice bumper fix. sounds like a fun week off for sure!

Thanks guys!
Here are some more pics of the box.
DSCF7895.jpg

DSCF7898.jpg

DSCF7899.jpg

Bomar,
The bumper is 3x6 and its 5' 7" Long and i think 1/8" thick, pretty beefy.
Here are those pics you wanted.
DSCF7906.jpg

DSCF7905.jpg

DSCF7902.jpg

sls019 No build thread but heres a better pic of the 40
DSCF7848.jpg

Good work ,I like the off set on the tire. Mike

Great looking rig! If you ever need a hand with it, let me know. I'm right down the road.

ElliotB Yea we should meet up and at least go hit some trails.

Yesterday we decided to go up and see if we could find some snow, this was my brothers first time so we went to an easier trail. It was a blast and the 62 did great. On the way back we spotted a F350 stuck in a mud pit and we ended up winching him out.
DSCF7909.jpg

DSCF7911.jpg

DSCF7914.jpg

DSCF7917.jpg

DSCF7930.jpg

DSCF7942.jpg

DSCF7944.jpg

DSCF7947.jpg

Nice pair of trucks. what did you wrap the storage box in? Indoor/outdoor carpet?

any recovery pics? my boss is a ford guy and ide love to be able to rub it in his face

I built that 40 in one crazy week, let me know if anyone wants more pics. My wife is still pissed you tinted the windows on her old 40. LOL! Good luck with the 62 build.
IMG_3504.jpg

Last edited:
askeyey We bought the carpet at checkers its almost like carpet that would be on a sub box, sprayed it and the wood with 3M spray glue. Its on there pretty good.

samibattlemaiden No pics of the recovery, we saw him on the side of the road (big muddy area) digging with a fiberglass post he found on the ground. It took like 5 min to get him out so we didnt really get a chance. Plus i felt bad for him, he even offered me money:eek:

How did the 8274 do pulling the fullsized truck out of a mud hole? Wish I would have been there for that, sounds like a blast. I bet you could go find some snow up there now.

Boulder Cruiser, I think both trucks look great! Got another couple questions for you. How do you like the 35" MTZ's? What width are they and rim width? How are they in the rain, snow?
Thanks, and sorry to hijack again.

Two very nice Cruisers. Goog work and thanks for all the pics.

Boulder Cruiser said:
We chose this 1990 62 that has been for sale for awhile, it has some issues but we picked it up for pretty cheap.

I've seen that 62 on Denver's CL on & off over the last year or so. Don't know if it ever changed hands or if the same guy kept relisting it...

I thought it had some great add-ons already with the OME, ARB, snorkle, (aux tank & locker?) etc. I see the crunched rear quarter panel (who cares?) but I'm just curious as to what other issues it has? Just wondering if I should be kicking myself for not getting it... Curious too what it finally sold for if you don't mind me asking.

Motoloco
The first thing we tried was to winch him but he was good and stuck and im alot lighter than him so i was being dragged through the mud instead. So i grabbed a strap and we hooked it to the front bumper and pulled him out with a little force.

sls019
I like them, they've been really good in the snow. I havent driven it in the rain but when the roads are wet they do fine but im not speeding around either.
They're 315/75/16 and i think the wheel is 10" wide

Meatdawg
Thanks! Im sure ill have alot more.

kcowyo
Yea the cruiser was for sale by the original owner last year. Then Matt (the person i bought it from) bought it Not knowing the #1 cylinder had really low compression. He had the head rebuilt, put a new dizzy in and a few other things. It runs great now. We bought it for $3800 which may be a bit high but my brother was in a hurry to get a truck (Hes leaving for collage). As far as current issues the front hubs need to be repacked and it needs new brake pads. Other than that its great truck, the quarter panels will be cut so most of the dent will be gone. It came with a bunch of extra parts and $20K in Receipts. All in all im happy with it, its a good start. :steer:

The rims on the 40 are 16x8 with a 4" BS. The tires suck in packed snow but rock in deep stuff, typical MT. Did a little wheeling in our new 62 today but forgot the camera:rolleyes:. Will bring it next time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom