New 60 - new problems... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,
I'm a Noob on this forum and I just picked up another TLC. This is my third LC, I had a '73 FJ40 and a '78 FJ40 years ago and they were the best trucks I'd ever had. I've always liked the 60's and was pretty psyched to finally get one. It's an '85 FJ60 and seemed to be in prime shape. 166K, all stock and very little rust, drove solid and sounded good. I must have had my LC beer goggles on when I purchased it because now that I've had it about a week and put a few hundred miles on it I'm noticing all sorts of problems. If anyone can help me diagnose and advise, I'd be grateful. My 40's never had any problems like these, so I'm unsure about what's wrong and what I should be most concerned about (what I should fix first $$).

1. First thing I'm noticing after driving a bit is a very-very high pitched squeal that is only apparent when the truck is in gear and rolling. As soon as the clutch is depressed, even a 1/2 inch, the squeal subsides. Something with the clutch?

2. I live in Denver, and the first time I took it into the hills I realized that there seems to be a huge lack of power. 35mph tops trying to climb even moderate grades. My '78 40 had a 2F 4-speed and and it would do 65 all day on just about any pitch. There seems to be no problem with power at low speeds in the dirt, etc. as expected, but the sluggishness on the pavement is a drag. Is it normal for the 60 due to it's weight??

3. When I inspected the truck I crawled under looking for leaks, etc and it was pretty much dry. However, after driving a bit it's leaking what appears to be an oil, anitfreeze mixture at the point where the water pump meets the oil pan. Is it just a gasket or is the water pump getting ready to croak?

4. Blue smoke from the tailpipe is telling me it's burning oil. I checked for smoke when I inspected the car, so I'm pretty ticked that it's decided to start burning oil a week after I bought it. Could it be related to the antifreeze/oil leak?

Any advise from 60 experts on what to tackle first would be great. Thanks!

--Martin

MDH33 said:
Hey everyone,

1. ... high pitched squeal that is only apparent when the truck is in gear and rolling.... Something with the clutch?

2. I live in Denver, and the first time I took it into the hills I realized that there seems to be a huge lack of power.

3. ... it's leaking what appears to be an oil, anitfreeze mixture at the point where the water pump meets the oil pan...

4. Blue smoke from the tailpipe is telling me it's burning oil.

--Martin

Welcome!

Lots of posts w/recommendations on what to do w/new (old) cruisers. Search will yield lots of suggestions..more specifically to your questions...

1. I think it's from the tranny. Check clutch adj to make sure though. Also check to make sure that the tranny has enough oil in it. If it is like the noise mine makes, it's been going for 30K miles.

2. Do a thorough tune-up. Plugs, rotor, cap, wires, vavlve adj, timing, carb, etc. Check the emissions systems. Replace all the vacuum tubing. All of this should make a difference. However, given age and milage, you are almost certainly a candidate for a carb rebuild.

3. Again due to age/milage - almost all the various nuts/bolts/etc can be loose. Check them, tighten to spec. However, you might have a combo problem here - waterpump signling it's ready to fail + leaking front main seal. Waterpump is not hard to replace, just a pain. All old cruisers leak at the front main seal. Try getting the engine steam cleaned, and then watch carefully over a few days to try to better pinpoint the leak.

4. Check compression.

In general, with a new to you cruiser, change all the fluids, and get a FSM (Field Service Manual) Do a thorough check of all systems. Do your best to get everything working as intended. When you get it back to this point, it'll never let you down, and you'll always get where you intend to go (but not always quickly).

Thanks for the reply. https://forum.ih8mud.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=567296#
I'm going to take it in for the compression test and see what they say about fixing the leak. Does the front main seal require pulling the whole engine? I spent about three hours last night going through older posts and found a thread about bad throw-out bearings. Sounded like this might be the culprit causing the squeal. I was wondering if the carb might be causing the poor performance. After thinking about it, my 78 FJ40 had a Weber carb with all the stock air intake/emissions stuff removed along with a simplified free-breathing exhaust. I guess that made the difference with power. I looked around online it seems ike the Webers are no longer available... https://forum.ih8mud.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=567296#

Any recommendations for the best manual and where to find one online?

secondiary in carb might not be opening.

the HAC(high altitude compensation) might not be working, this gives more advance at altitude

but yes start with a full tune up, all OEM stuff is my advice.

also replace the fuel filter

waterpump may be leaking at the weep hole, or it just might be a hose that needs some tightening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom