New 60 carpet for sale! January 2, 2023 UPDATE (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I forgot to mention: there's one very small piece of the puzzle still missing: I'm working with the mfr. to produce floor mats to go along with the new carpet sets, and what I need is a tracing on paper of an OEM 60 driver's side floor mat. It MUST be (a) a tracing of an OEM mat, and (b) it must be from a 60, not a 62 (the 62 driver's side mat has a cutout to compensate for Toyota's addition of a "dead pedal" in the 62, whereas the 60 had no dead pedal) @Godwin was kind enough to send tracings of his OEM 62 mats (thanks again, Jim), so reproductions of those are now in the works (and everything but the driver's mat will swap over to the 60); however, due to my attempts to keep all of these carpet offerings as "correct" as possible, the mfr. said they'd really need a tracing of a 60 driver's mat to make sure it meets my expectations.

Anyway, you get the idea. If anyone HAS any OEM 60 mats and would be willing to make/send a tracing of the driver's mat, please PM me, and we'll discuss.

Thanks,
David

@FARMAN33 how do you think the surged edges look? Your pic of the mid section looks a little rough around the inside radius.

Just the terminus edge has some frays. Easily trimmed. Overall very happy!
Yeah, it's a little hard to tell from the photos, but even like a fine shirt, there are some stray threads that usually need to be trimmed. Also, on the surged edges, sometimes wrinkles that the photos don't detail make the surging look rough. All I can say is that, from personal observation, the sets I've had have not been rough.

dnp

For those of us who still have good non soiled but faded OEM carpet in our FJ62's but desire to freshen our interiors with David's phenomenal new carpet set, is it possible to install the new carpet ON-TOP-OF the original carpet and gain insulating and sound deadening improvement along with a good fit? My particular concern is the new carpet fringe end that will go under and will be pinned down by the plastic door sills or the metal frame to the rear of the back seat that pins down a portion of the cargo carpet. Anyone trying this?

For those of us who still have good non soiled but faded OEM carpet in our FJ62's but desire to freshen our interiors with David's phenomenal new carpet set, is it possible to install the new carpet ON-TOP-OF the original carpet and gain insulating and sound deadening improvement along with a good fit? My particular concern is the new carpet fringe end that will go under and will be pinned down by the plastic door sills or the metal frame to the rear of the back seat that pins down a portion of the cargo carpet. Anyone trying this?
Hmmmm. I'm not saying this won't work, but I'd be surprised if it would. The molded part of the carpet that needs to "hug" the floor members is pretty tight, so I doubt the carpet would retain its shape very well if it had to stretch around some carpet that's on one of these floor members......but I could certainly be wrong!

i'll be very interested in a gray set for my 87
Great! Got you on the list. Thanks! EDIT: Discovered I already had you on there from 7/19. I'll keep everyone updated on the status of things.....

David... I believe you have me down for an FJ62 carpet set but I failed to mention the color...it's gray! Thanx!
That's correct. Just updated the list. Thanks!

Hopefully, the plan I have in the works will pan out, and we'll have late-floor carpet available about 60 days earlier than we otherwise would........stay tuned (just occurred to me: do younger people even know what that means?:D)

Just got home a few minutes ago and went straight for the box. I am amazed at the price and what I got for my money. Thank you very much for getting this together for us.
What is the black grommet looking thing that is included in the box for?

I would not do this. I bought a rig, now sold on, where the po did something along those lines (two old carpets) It was not good. I think there are better ways to get sound and insulation coverage. For me better to pull the old one. If yours is in relatively good shape I am sure someone out there might want it but can't afford a new carpet. I have seen a few youngsters with limited budgets here on the boards trying to save some old landcruisers. Might be a great opportunity to pass a little good mud/land cruiser karma around.

I have also seen somewhere around here where a faded carpet was re-dyed, just in case you really want to save it

Just got home a few minutes ago and went straight for the box. I am amazed at the price and what I got for my money. Thank you very much for getting this together for us.
What is the black grommet looking thing that is included in the box for?
Great news! Glad you like it! Hope to hear more good reports!

As for the grommet, I can only assume it is for a floor dimmer for headlights. I'm not sure why they include those.....can't remember the last car I had with a floor dimmer

I got the carpet today and was quite disappointed. I can't recommend it to anyone who has a brown interior and wants it to look stock ish.

My truck isn't a show truck but I want it to be nice and this carpet is going to grab people's attention for the wrong reason. I think the pictures speak for themselves. The vinyl and edgeing is a really bad tan colour.

I am really debating putting it in my truck at this point. If the edging and foot pad were black I would be okay with it, but the tan is not a nice shade and really clashes with everything.

I would recommend the grey set.
The initial quality seems very good for the price. I cannot comment on fit and finish, or how tough it will be or fade resistant. But the sound deadening seems very adequate and the material feels like it will be okay. The sewed edging is nice.

I believe the quality will be good considering it's price range. But the colour absolutely sucks. The chocolate brown is too close to factory for me to notice, but why the beige? Where did that come from and who thought it was a good idea?

I know David has a ton of time invested in this and he was great to deal with. But at the end of the day the product did not deliver for me. No fault of his, but the initial samples he showed at the start of the thread really lead me to believe I was getting a different product

*edited to fix picture link
*edit 2 - my mistake for not realizing this was a factory mistake. David has had great communication on getting the issue resolved

Last edited:
I got the carpet today and was quite disappointed. I can't recommend it to anyone who has a brown interior and wants it to look stock ish.

My truck isn't a show truck but I want it to be nice and this carpet is going to grab people's attention for the wrong reason. I think the pictures speak for themselves. The vinyl and edgeing is a really bad tan colour.

I am really debating putting it in my truck at this point. If the edging and foot pad were black I would be okay with it, but the tan is not a nice shade and really clashes with everything.

The initial quality seems very good for the price. I cannot comment on fit and finish, or how tough it will be or fade resistant. But the sound deadening seems very adequate and the material feels like it will be okay. The sewed edging is nice.

I believe the quality will be good considering it's price range. But the colour absolutely sucks. The chocolate brown is too close to factory for me to notice, but why the beige? Where did that come from and who thought it was a good idea?

I know David has a ton of time invested in this and he was great to deal with. But at the end of the day the product did not deliver for me. No fault of his, but the initial samples he showed at the start of the thread really lead me to believe I was getting a different product

Disappointing to hear. Unfortunately your pics are not showing up and therefore hard for others to get a sense of what you are describing

would some mats not cover the tan? not trying to tell you how much money it takes to be happy, but it just doesn't seem so terrible to me...you must have decent carpet already, huh?

would some mats not cover the tan? not trying to tell you how much money it takes to be happy, but it just doesn't seem so terrible to me...you must have decent carpet already, huh?

Mats will only cover the heal pad not the toe pad. And the surging is all exposed everywhere. The tan is not complimentary to the brown. So anything showing will clash.

I am disappointed because the initial pictures clearly show chocolate brown surging and vinyl. I ended up getting something very different.

My current carpet is terrible and turned green from fading. I wanted something to improve that. This carpet is an improvement without a doubt, but not what I wanted or what I ordered.

If you know it has beige surging/vinyl and you are okay with that, then go ahead and order. My hunch is that it will be a decent carpet. It is inferior to factory. But you can't get factory and are paying like a quarter the price it would cost.

I want people to know what they are getting so they are not disappointed or have false expectations like me.

*edit - my mistake for not realizing a factory flaw, David has had great communication in resolving the issue.

Last edited:

*edited to fix picture link
Whoa, whoa, whoa! What the......? Why get online and blast a product without first asking the person who's offering it what's going on? I probably should have cooled down before responding, but I think there may be value in expressing my frustration. Ever thought of contacting customer service (ME) via PM??????

Now, to address your problem in public, like you chose to vent your disappointment: That heel pad and surging is NOT correct! I have no idea why it went out like that, but since you're well aware each shipped carpet set was drop-shipped from the manufacturer, you're also aware I don't have an opportunity to inspect every set, and I'm just learning about it myself from you bashing it publicly, rather than sending me a PM to check on it. It should be abundantly clear from the first part of this thread that the whole purpose of this carpet effort was to provide carpet as close as possible to OEM. It is intended to be "correct."

The photos I posted that showed the prototype carpet had surging that was virtually the same color as the carpet. That's the way they're supposed to be. Why yours is like it is, I have no idea. But we'll make it right. I can assure you of that.

To those of you who are now concerned that the carpet isn't what I represented, I can assure you that anything not right about the carpet will be straightened out. The two sets I received from the mfr. to check for color accuracy were dead-on. In fact, the following photos are of the grey set I received last Tuesday. I think it looks pretty damn good if you ask me!.........

Grey carpet 7.JPG
Grey carpet 3.JPG
Grey carpet 1.JPG

Grey carpet 6.JPG

It's very hard to overcome bad publicity, so all I can tell you is I stand behind the carpet I rep. If it's not right, we'll make it right. If you're as disappointed as Cruising Canuck, I'll even work with you to get your money back. You can let me know via PM, and I'll do whatever it takes. Period. I've spent a s***load of time and money working on this project, not for any real money gain, but more to help out the Land Cruiser community. Those who know me know I'm trying to offer a very quality product at a crazy good price (Cruising Canuck, the OEM - sans wheelwell carpet - has an MSRP of about $3,200, so you were about 1/2 right in your assessment of value), so I wish this could have been sorted out in private, rather than bashing and claiming misrepresentation.......

If you want carpet, I've got it. If you're now suspect of the whole deal, I understand. You decide........
I usually don't get this worked up, but I've spent WAY more time on this project than I thought I would, only to not have the opportunity to first get something right. Kinda takes the fun out of it........

(EDIT: I've sent out a LOT of carpet in the last 3 weeks, so if ANYONE else ends up with carpet that doesn't look "correct," please send me a PM, because I need to contact the mfr. about it.)

Last edited:
Hi David, I'm definitely still interested in grey carpet for a late 85 fj60, hoping the price remains the same as earlier. Seems like a great deal. On the flip side, I'm glad cruising canuck brought up the issue publicly, bcs I wouldn't have known, as he didn't either. Your follow up is all that was needed. Thank you for putting in the effort to help us. Still super excited about this opportunity!

I'll say as a vendor here that it's far more helpful to hear about an issue via PM or phone call so that I can develop a plan of action instead of being attacked on one of my threads.

@dnp did the right thing and contacted me immediately before I even had a chance to see the thread. He tried to get ahead of it by PMing me but it was rushed because he obviously didn't have time to think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom