New 60 carpet for sale! January 2, 2023 UPDATE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How do you know the right color. I have an 84 with the brown/tan interior. Is my carpet Saddle or Dark Saddle? It is dirty so it is hard to know.
There were only two OEM carpet colors: dark(er) grey and dark(er) brown. We went to great lengths to make our carpet virtually indistinguishable from OEM, and we accomplished it.

You can't believe how much a new carpet set will transform the interior of your truck! I think everyone who has installed it will agree

@dnp looking to get the brown carpet kit for a 88 FJ62. I've read extremely good things about the kit and I'm ready to pull the trigger on. I'll DM you. Thanks!

Oh, and here's the entire tailgate carpet panel

View attachment 1491543As with all aftermarket carpet, you'll have to position the carpet in your truck, then cut out the holes for the seat bolts, shifters, rear heater, etc. Aftermarket manufacturers' equipment isn't sophisticated enough to be as precise as Toyota's, plus Toyota could have made slight model year adjustments / changes of which the aftermarket was unaware.......Just wanted everyone to be aware that some trimming, slight "customization," etc. is necessary on the installation of aftermarket carpet
David are you still selling carpet kits? Posts I am seeing are 2-3 years old. I have an 1989 FJ62 in brown. If so, what is cost, zip is 86305.
thanks, Steve

Request: Apparently, the trucks sold in the us were at least 3 to 1 on gray vs brown interiors. At least that's what I've determined based on orders over the last few years. Accordingly, I have LOTS of photos of gray carpet installs, but very few of brown installs.

If convenient, could some of you post some quality (hi-res, if possible) photos of your brown carpet installs? I'd like to have some photos of the brown carpets to show people.

Thanks,
David

Installed the Brown carpet in my 1988 FJ62 - looks amazing! Installed by myself (zero previous experience) over 1 weekend. Front section took the majority of the time, center and rear were very easy. Thanks @dnp

Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 7.49.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 7.50.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 7.50.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 7.50.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 7.55.51 PM.png

Side topic, I am installing my kit (in black) and went to screw in the lift gate sill plate and the screw grommets are shot. Are they available?

Last edited:
Does anyone have a picture of how they did the back seat hinge (pivot). I am at that point and want to make sure I cut it properly. First time doing carpet, the kit is awesome, my skills do not represent the quality of the carpet.....

Are you talking about the cargo floor carpet at the hinge? If so DO. NOT. CUT! The purpose of the way the carpet is made is to have (when the seat is folded down) a single, continuous piece of carpet that reaches from the top of the back seat to the tailgate sill plate. There are no cuts to be made anywhere on the cargo carpet.

If, on the other hand, you're asking how to cut the wheel well pieces that cover the second seat pivot point, you just have to install the wheel well pieces and cut that particular area in the fashion you believe looks the best when the second seat is in the upright position.

Are you talking about the cargo floor carpet at the hinge? If so DO. NOT. CUT! The purpose of the way the carpet is made is to have (when the seat is folded down) a single, continuous piece of carpet that reaches from the top of the back seat to the tailgate sill plate. There are no cuts to be made anywhere on the cargo carpet.

If, on the other hand, you're asking how to cut the wheel well pieces that cover the second seat pivot point, you just have to install the wheel well pieces and cut that particular area in the fashion you believe looks the best when the second seat is in the upright position.
Yes, talking about where the wheel well carpet and the middle piece meet at the hinge. Its the confluence of the three pieces, but I know not to cut the cargo. I would rather see how others have done this...I don't trust my self!

Yes, talking about where the wheel well carpet and the middle piece meet at the hinge. Its the confluence of the three pieces, but I know not to cut the cargo. I would rather see how others have done this...I don't trust my self!
OK, good. Just wanted to make sure you didn't think the seat back carpet and the cargo carpet were intended to be separate.

The wheel well "tail" that covers that pivot area is sort of a judgement call on how to cut it. It's best to rest the seat back trunnion in the half-moon mount on the floor, then see how the wheel well tail covers it. Just cut it in a way that covers that area to your liking. Remember that even more of that area will be obscured from view when the second seat bottom is in its normal seating position.

Installed the Brown carpet in my 1988 FJ62 - looks amazing! Installed by myself (zero previous experience) over 1 weekend. Front section took the majority of the time, center and rear were very easy. Thanks @dnp

View attachment 2565033View attachment 2565034View attachment 2565035View attachment 2565036View attachment 2565037
That's pretty sweet looking! What was difficult about the front install? Does it just lay in there over padding? Or is there some adhesive backing? Or were the tools just for removal of the seats? Thanks..

ORDERING INSTRUCTIONS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS FIRST POST:

June 1, 2018 PRICE REDUCTION - $50 off: $330 + shipping

OK. Here’s a project I’ve been working on for some time now, and it’s finally about to reach the point at which it can benefit all of us! (Well, all of us in need of carpet anyway......)

Like many of you, over time I either had, or was considering buying, a 60 or two that could stand to be restored (or at least, a little freshened up.) One of the main items I kept running across was dirty or ratty/destroyed or non-existent carpet, and I wasn’t being successful in finding the “correct” replacement carpet for them. 25 years ago, I used to mainly play around with muscle cars, so in my terminology, “correct” means the right color / texture / finishing of the carpet that would have originally come in the vehicle. Granted, only break-the-bank OEM carpet is going to exactly match what came in the vehicle, but I was looking for something that was (a) affordable, and (b) so close to OEM that you really had to know what you were looking for in order to tell the difference between aftermarket and OEM......and that was my problem. I wasn’t finding any. As a result, I set out to see if I could find a carpet manufacturer that was willing to work with me to produce what I was seeking.....primarily for the projects on which I was working at the time, but also to see if I could make it cost-effective to provide our hobby with a solid, OEM looking/performing product.

Soooo, with that goal in mind, I contacted some of the companies from whom I had bought quality carpet in earlier days, and after talking with a few, I found one who was willing to take a chance on this carpet project, even considering the small(er) size of our community. I explained to them in specific terms that my goal was to have them create a molded, nylon loop-pile carpet, in “correct” colors, with appropriate backing, and with surged edges like would have been the edge finishing from the factory. They agreed on everything.......except the color. They advised me it takes a very large fabric commitment in order for the “dye house” to offer a custom color and that they couldn’t guarantee it would match the factory colors, but it “should be pretty close.” Well, when I got that response, I advised them that was one of the main problems I had encountered in my initial search, and I saw no reason to proceed with this project if the end product was going to be incorrect like all I had found before. I told them the bottom line for me was: It’s either correct or it’s not. I reminded them that they weren’t likely going to, for instance, tell a Corvette guy that the carpet you’re selling him for his NCRS restoration is “pretty close.”.......that wouldn’t work for him, and it wouldn’t work for me.

Thankfully, the guy with whom I was working (GREAT guy, by the way) understood my position, and he went to bat for this project a second time with the executives of the company. I’m not sure how he pulled it off, but they agreed once again to take a chance on there being “enough” 60s to make it worthwhile. He told me if I had any unfaded samples of the two carpet colors in the 60, he would get them matched up......and it just so happened that I had two carpet sets, a sample of each I took from under the center console. Boom! So off we went.......

Enough of the text background to the project, here’s a visual rundown of what it took to make this project come together:

Our lovely floor pan "model" leaves the shop on the way to get her svelte measurements taken:

View attachment 1491134

Raw, straight, rust-free floor pan ready for cleaning

View attachment 1491137

Cleaned floor pan with mold being created

View attachment 1491142

View attachment 1491144

View attachment 1491146

More below.............

Ordering instructions:

• PayPal the funds to me at dnpcorp@bellsouth.net, and include:
    • your full name,
    • shipping address,
    • year model of your truck,
    • list of items ordered, and
    • reference the color of the carpet
(Sending all of that will keep me from having to go back to my records to dig it up while I'm placing the order)

Once funds are received, I will submit your order to the mfr. From there, it usually takes 3 business days for them to produce the style carpet you need and to ship it out. Once it's shipped, they'll notify me, and I will send you a tracking number.
Hey @dnp are these carpet kits still available for purchase? I was digging through older threads looking for aftermarket (close to OEM) replacement carpet. I finally found one that mentioned you -- so along finding a quality product, I'd rather support mud members, rather than the alternative. I have an '87 fj60, that has slate gray carpet (nylon I'm assuming). Your ordering instructions are easy enough, just wanted to double check availability with you first though. Thanks is advance!

Hey @dnp are these carpet kits still available for purchase? I was digging through older threads looking for aftermarket (close to OEM) replacement carpet. I finally found one that mentioned you -- so along finding a quality product, I'd rather support mud members, rather than the alternative. I have an '87 fj60, that has slate gray carpet (nylon I'm assuming). Your ordering instructions are easy enough, just wanted to double check availability with you first though. Thanks is advance!
Yessir, you bet! We're full speed ahead on the carpet. I've updated the ordering instructions in the very first post above, so just let me know what you want, and I'll get it/them on the way!

Thanks,
David

Yessir, you bet! We're full speed ahead on the carpet. I've updated the ordering instructions in the very first post above, so just let me know what you want, and I'll get it/them on the way!

Thanks,
David
@dnp absolutely will -- I'm getting on it now! thx sir!

Just send me a PM, and I'll respond with (shipped) pricing. Thanks.
Sent PM, just need to confirm total with you including shipping cost to make sure the correct paypal amount is transferred - thx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom