New 60 carpet for sale! January 2, 2023 UPDATE (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a question on the FJ62 is the transmission shifter hole already cut? Reason I ask is my carpeting is in pretty good shape and vehicle is babied and garaged. But if I thought about a five speed the carpeting should be the same as the late 60 series minus the location of the transmission shifter correct? Guess the left foot rest is different. Would a late 60 series without a transmission shifter cut be possible? Don't go the the five speed route cut trim the Automatic shifter opening as well as the foot rest. Sixteen pages didn't want to read all of them to see if this was covered.

@dnp would a late 60 series minus the cut for the transmission be possible. Is this the same as a FJ62 except the location of the transmission opening and the Left foot rest?

I thought these all came with the transmission holes not cut out, I may be wrong.

I’ve installed this carpet and there is nothing cut out already, you have to do all that yourself.

I am ordering my carpet this month. This is a good thread and covers much of what you need to know to get started...Thanks DNP for the directions below that you posted earlier. Like the advice around the soldering iron.

• Prep: remove both shifters
  • Prep: put the carpet in place (up the firewall, along the sides, etc.)
  • Prep: anchor the carpet, as best you can, in the location of where it will be permanently situated. Do this by locating the front seat mounting holes, and go ahead and install those bolts / tighten them. (It's best to locate the bolt holes using a sharp pick. Then, many people use a soldering iron to open up the holes for the bolts to go through - this procedure also helps to "cauterize" the nylon threads around the edge of the holes to help prevent runs in the carpet.) If you want to make an even firmer "hold" on the front carpet section, you can go ahead and trim the door openings to the proper width and install the scuff plates. The objective in this step is to make sure the carpet doesn't move as you're cutting the shifter holes. After all, once it's cut.....it's cut!
  • Cutting/Installing: Pick a shifter, then cut a hole in the carpet the same size as the hole in the metal transmission hump. This hole will be smaller in size than the bolt pattern of the mounting holes for the boot. Sometimes, this first hole will be large enough to allow the metal shifter boot plate to go through this hole, but more often than not, you're going to have to trim just a little more. This gives you the advantage of being able to see the mounting holes. The objective is to try to keep the hole in the carpet small enough to where it still covers all 4 mounting bolts. Then, when it's bolted down, the carpet is over the bolts, and the first "bellow" of the upper rubber boot covers the carpet.
I do have a couple questions
1. removing the shifters may be obvious once I start, but maybe not....can you explain how those are removed?

2. Heater under the seat- how much of that is removed before you cut your hole for it? It does not appear that it really tucks under it very much?

3. outside of the scuff plates and maybe the panels that run down your seat belt, do you remove a lot of other trim pieces or cut to the edge and tuck it under??

4. I was planning on ordering a couple boxes of sound deadening material that you roll down....any dos and donts when you adding that layer you can think of?

5. It looks like the carpet comes with some jute....any reason, outside of the sound deadening that I pan to add, to order anything else as it relates to padding?

6. can someone post a pic of the carpet properly installed around their shifter with the rubber boot pulled up so we can see?

Also, what about up front under this? do you have to remove or do you tuck under?
FJWater1.jpeg

Last edited:
In the middle of m carpet project...pictures soon. Question about a set of matching brown mats...how much what do the bottom of the mats look like? 83 FJ60

Folks, I'm REALLY sorry for my delay in responding to these questions. I often forget to look at this thread, and for some reason, my email notification about new entries is often non-existent. It wasn't until today that I thought about looking at this thread........if anyone needs a quick response, please ALWAYS PM me, rather than posting here.
I have a question on the FJ62 is the transmission shifter hole already cut? Reason I ask is my carpeting is in pretty good shape and vehicle is babied and garaged. But if I thought about a five speed the carpeting should be the same as the late 60 series minus the location of the transmission shifter correct? Guess the left foot rest is different. Would a late 60 series without a transmission shifter cut be possible? Don't go the the five speed route cut trim the Automatic shifter opening as well as the foot rest. Sixteen pages didn't want to read all of them to see if this was covered.

@dnp would a late 60 series minus the cut for the transmission be possible. Is this the same as a FJ62 except the location of the transmission opening and the Left foot rest?
As some have already answered, the carpet comes almost completely uncut. The hole for the emergency brake is the only pre-set hole. This allows for a custom fit in any truck, regardless of whether you've added an automatic, extra transfer cases, etc.

I am ordering my carpet this month. This is a good thread and covers much of what you need to know to get started...Thanks DNP for the directions below that you posted earlier. Like the advice around the soldering iron.

• Prep: remove both shifters
  • Prep: put the carpet in place (up the firewall, along the sides, etc.)
  • Prep: anchor the carpet, as best you can, in the location of where it will be permanently situated. Do this by locating the front seat mounting holes, and go ahead and install those bolts / tighten them. (It's best to locate the bolt holes using a sharp pick. Then, many people use a soldering iron to open up the holes for the bolts to go through - this procedure also helps to "cauterize" the nylon threads around the edge of the holes to help prevent runs in the carpet.) If you want to make an even firmer "hold" on the front carpet section, you can go ahead and trim the door openings to the proper width and install the scuff plates. The objective in this step is to make sure the carpet doesn't move as you're cutting the shifter holes. After all, once it's cut.....it's cut!
  • Cutting/Installing: Pick a shifter, then cut a hole in the carpet the same size as the hole in the metal transmission hump. This hole will be smaller in size than the bolt pattern of the mounting holes for the boot. Sometimes, this first hole will be large enough to allow the metal shifter boot plate to go through this hole, but more often than not, you're going to have to trim just a little more. This gives you the advantage of being able to see the mounting holes. The objective is to try to keep the hole in the carpet small enough to where it still covers all 4 mounting bolts. Then, when it's bolted down, the carpet is over the bolts, and the first "bellow" of the upper rubber boot covers the carpet.
I do have a couple questions
1. removing the shifters may be obvious once I start, but maybe not....can you explain how those are removed? On the transmission shifter, remove the shifter boot bolts, pull the boot up (not off), and you'll see a collar on the shifter on top of the transmission. Push down (hard) on this collar, and rotate it counterclockwise. It'll twist, then lift up. The shifter can then be removed (This would also be a good time to check your shifter bushing - the part the ball of the shifter sits in - and if need be, replace it. It's cheap, and if it's badly worn, you won't believe how much better it'll shift after it's replaced) Reverse the procedure to reinstall the shifter.
On the t-case shifter, get under the truck, and it's pretty self-explanatory

2. Heater under the seat- how much of that is removed before you cut your hole for it? It does not appear that it really tucks under it very much? The best way to do that is to remove the heater, then reinstall it. However, being totally under the seat, you can start with cutting the hole larger and larger until the carpet will fit over the heater. Just make sure to have enough carpet to where it'll tuck under the rear of the heater - the only portion that's really seen.

3. outside of the scuff plates and maybe the panels that run down your seat belt, do you remove a lot of other trim pieces or cut to the edge and tuck it under?? I always pull the trim pieces off to make sure I take the carpet as far as I can to the edges. That way, there's no way the trim pieces won't cover the carpet edges. It's not that much extra work in a 60/62

4. I was planning on ordering a couple boxes of sound deadening material that you roll down....any dos and donts when you adding that layer you can think of? Just use the right material (anything on a roll is for roofing. I've been advised that proper sound deadening material comes in squares or sheets), and budget some time to do it right. It's not a quick process, but it's worth the effort

5. It looks like the carpet comes with some jute....any reason, outside of the sound deadening that I pan to add, to order anything else as it relates to padding? No, if you're going to install DynaMat, Second Skin, etc., that's all you'll need

6. can someone post a pic of the carpet properly installed around their shifter with the rubber boot pulled up so we can see? The trick here is to know where to cut and not to cut too much. The ring that holds down the shifter boot should be underneath the carpet. The first “bellow” of the rubber boot should be above the carpet.

Be sure to first “locate” the carpet on the floor by properly placing the front section seat riser "pockets" over the seat risers themselves. Those will be used as a reference to make sure the carpet is situated where it should be. Once in the proper place, “anchor” the carpet by installing just the seat bolts in the seat bolt holes. That’ll keep this front carpet section in the right place while you’re doing everything else.

The only way to install the boots and retain your sanity is to first find the transmission and t-case holes in the transmission tunnel, then locate the four mounting holes for each boot retaining rings around each hole with four small picks or other sharp objects. With the picks still in place to act as warning flags, this will identify the location of the bolt holes in the floor so you can cut a slightly smaller square hole than where the picks are situated. If you don't cut all the way out to the "flags," you'll be sure you have enough carpet remaining to cover the boot retaining ring once each boot is bolted to the floor. Once those holes are cut (you’ll be able to tell if you cut them properly, because the carpet should still be covering each four hole pattern), fold the carpet back, mount the boot, lay the carpet back down, and feed the rubber boot through

Also, what about up front under this? do you have to remove or do you tuck under? You have to remove enough to where you CAN tuck it underneath the heater vent. Remember, in all cases with this carpet, be sure not to cut too much at any point! You can cut more if needed, but you can never cut less!
View attachment 1717616
Sorry, but I'm thinking I'm too late in my answer to these (but I did, in yellow, above) Click the above question to expand

Is the price for cut pile the same as loop pile?
Yes

In the middle of m carpet project...pictures soon. Question about a set of matching brown mats...how much what do the bottom of the mats look like? 83 FJ60
I have included a photo of the backing on the mats below

Mat underside.JPG

Folks, I'm REALLY sorry for my delay in responding to these questions. I often forget to look at this thread, and for some reason, my email notification about new entries is often non-existent. It wasn't until today that I thought about looking at this thread........if anyone needs a quick response, please ALWAYS PM me, rather than posting here.

As some have already answered, the carpet comes almost completely uncut. The hole for the emergency brake is the only pre-set hole. This allows for a custom fit in any truck, regardless of whether you've added an automatic, extra transfer cases, etc.

Sorry, but I'm thinking I'm too late in my answer to these (but I did, in yellow, above) Click the above question to expand

Yes

View attachment 1747581
thanks for the reply. I have installed the back of the bench and finished the back section. Laying my deadener in the middle now and will do the middle section this weekend. Will probably button it up there until I get the tranny replaced so your answers were not too late. So far so good. I would like a set of mats....let me know how much (7381) and I will PP you the $$.

I am wondering how I am going to staple the edge of the carpet to the plastic channels that run along the sides, but should be able to figure it out. Might use spray adhesive.

thanks for the reply. I have installed the back of the bench and finished the back section. Laying my deadener in the middle now and will do the middle section this weekend. Will probably button it up there until I get the tranny replaced so your answers were not too late. So far so good. I would like a set of mats....let me know how much (7381) and I will PP you the $$.

I am wondering how I am going to staple the edge of the carpet to the plastic channels that run along the sides, but should be able to figure it out. Might use spray adhesive.
OK. The mats are $99 (per section) + shipping. The front section consists of the driver's mat / passenger's mat / one-piece second row mat. The rear section consists of the cargo area mat.

You should be able to use 1/4" staples - like those used in the tailgate panel - to staple it to the plastic. That being said, the easier (and safer) method would be to use adhesive. No chance of getting into the wiring harnesses using that method.

Best carpet option out there!
Thanks Tom! There's really nothing you can do to your interior that will have this big of an effect for this little money! It'll make even a pretty worn interior look nearly new.....and for comparatively little dollars!

Yes

View attachment 1747581

Looks like this image is of just the cargo area mat?

Thanks Tom! There's really nothing you can do to your interior that will have this big of an effect for this little money! It'll make even a pretty worn interior look nearly new.....and for comparatively little dollars!

And it makes your truck smell like a new truck on the inside.
Loving my new carpet!!

OK. The mats are $99 (per section) + shipping. The front section consists of the driver's mat / passenger's mat / one-piece second row mat. The rear section consists of the cargo area mat.

You should be able to use 1/4" staples - like those used in the tailgate panel - to staple it to the plastic. That being said, the easier (and safer) method would be to use adhesive. No chance of getting into the wiring harnesses using that method.
so I want just the front section (front seat and passenger matt). How much do I add to the $99 for the shipping cost?

It is. He asked to see what the underside of the mats look like. All 4 have the same backing.

Thanks.. just thought it was a REALLY big mat then realized it looked like the rear. I need to find some new vinyl wheel well covers, though the rest of my carpet is in decent shape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom