1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New 6" coil springs from Slee Offroad

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by FJ809496TLC, Feb 13, 2004.

1. FJ809496TLC

FJ809496TLC 80 series addict GOLD Star

Any experience/s on these springs both on and offroad? ??? Thanks..

2. sleeoffroad

sleeoffroad Supporting Vendor

Re:New 6" coil springs from SOR

FJ80, just fyi, SOR is Specter Off-Road and they have been know as that for a long time. Don't want to step on toes.

3. xl715

xl715

Re:New 6" coil springs from SOR

Yea, I'm aliitle curious too, although I've spent alot of money with Slee in J springs + adjustable spacers. I made 6" of lift the hard way, and of course about 8 months after I did that Christo comes out with a full spring 6" lift. I'm almost thinking about getting the 6" springs and selling all the other stuff, but would really like to know how they ride??

4. FJ809496TLC

New 6" coil springs from SOR

:whoops:. Sorry, Christo. I meant to say Slee Offroad. By the way, what do you think of it for both purposes? I have the Js already and ready to put it in but I am thinking instead of doing the 6" plus the spacers for the 38"+ tires. Thanks..

5. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    New 6" coil springs from SOR

Christo is many things. He is certainly not Specter Off-road.

That is why I like him so much ;)

D-

no affiliation, yadda, yadda, happy customer, yadda, yadda....and so-on

6. Junk

Junk

FJ80, search for MTNRAT's post about his new 6" lift from Christo. He was really digging it big time. Sounded like the road manners were quite good. Bottom line though is if you call Christo, Ben or Robbie, they will tell you like it is. They don't push product. If they don't think you'll be happy with it, they'll let you know what they think.

Dude, are you SURE you want 38's? A lot of folks say that, but are you sure?

7. FJ809496TLC

Hello Junk! Congrats again. I need to have at least 38" to start on this project. The cruiser will be use mainly on mud,dirt and water. I need a higher ground clearance here in Houston especially during hurricane season. Lots of flooding in the areas I usually go to. :-\

8. Junk

Junk

OK, well that makes sense. Just wanted to check and it will make a huge diff since your main issue is height. I spent a lot of time in Spring, and downtown. I definitely KNOW how quickly that rain adds up in those underpasses. Nasty stuff. Dude, get a frickin life raft in there. :D

9. FJ809496TLC

10. NW-sickboy

NW-sickboy

i run them ..... so far so good. on road is great..... flex is still to be determined. i have wheeled with 4 buddies in my rig and the usual gear and it was fine.....i have 2 inches of spacers up front and clear 37s easy...... my rig is actually at a local shop getting custom control arms as we speak. i will post results.......... i went with the springs for clearance but i get the feeling they were made more for vehicles that cary tons of wieght (ie:drawere systems, roof rack,ect. ect)...as far as cleariance goes js and custom spacers may have been a better route but that is yet to be determined. .....................its a great comprimise so far.......... my 80 is one BIG comprimise

11. Curran

Curran

NW-Slickyboy,
    I'm curious why are you running the 6" springs with spacers? Christo's site claims that the 6" lift is enough to clear 37s. And did you buy the normal rear coils or the heavy ones?
    Thanks,
    :beer:
    Curran

12. upcruiser

upcruiser

Maybe this picture will help you guys out a little. Its my truck with OME 2.5" heavy load (850/863) with 33's next to Christo's rig. He's got the 6"ers on here with 35's. Hopefully that will let you see the height difference and get an idea for clearance with taller tires.
    [​IMG]

13. sleeoffroad

sleeoffroad Supporting Vendor

The 6" springs are stiffer spring rate than any of the OME springs out there. We developed the springs to 1) reduce costs in the lift kits since we do not have to machine spacers and 2) the OME springs with spacers on them in certain cases was not enough spring to control heavy loaded vehicles and 3) to get a system that sit closer to level at that height.

Stiffer springs off-road will have a little negative effect as well since they will not be as soft and allow the suspension to flex as easily. However for people that wanted tall lifts and excellent road manners needed stiffer springs. As NW mentioned, the OME's with spacers will be softer and give you a little edge off-road, but it is all a compromise at this point.

As for large tires (36" and up) there is a point where more lift only hurts you. With 6" we are already using all the control arms at much bigger than stock angles (especially the rear) and anything above that would require custom setups.

Merely lifting the truck with 6" springs and spacers will not allow you to run 38". You are going to have to trim some flares and/or sheetmetal. The problem comes in with compression (which effectively makes a 6" lift 0" lift) and the wheelwells are just not big enough to accomodate the tires. A truck with 6" lift is already big, adding spacers to that is not for the faint of heart and you really enter an area of experimentation and testing to see what you like.

There is also the issue of control arm lengths and the relative movement of the axles due to the "shortening effect" of the lift. I am sure NW will experiment with this and determine the optimum setup for him. The statement that the lift will clear 37's is true, however it does not mean that one does not have to ramp and trail test the truck and adjust bumpstops etc etc to make that there is enough clearance. Also, tire selection and wheel selection plays a big roll. We advise all customers that do the 6" lift to get wheels with less backspacing or run wheel spacers. Also, in a lot of cases a 10" wheel is a better choice, but that will open up another set of rubbing issues.

Hope this helps.

14. xl715

xl715

Excellent write up Christo!! Explained everything I was wondering about. However, for now I will stay with the J springs and adjustable spacers. I also love the ability to change height as I add more equipment.

15. NW-sickboy

NW-sickboy

[quote author=Curran link=board=2;threadid=11477;start=msg104926#msg104926 date=1076788280]
    NW-Slickyboy,
    I'm curious why are you running the 6" springs with spacers? Christo's site claims that the 6" lift is enough to clear 37s. And did you buy the normal rear coils or the heavy ones?
    Thanks,
    :beer:
    Curran
    [/quote]I had prevoiusly been running spacers with Js and have had my new springs on with and with out the 2 inch spacers......with spacers its level but i dont have my rear bumper done yet..... i also wanted to see how much i could compress the spring and without the spacer i could not find out with out my tire rubbing....... i havent decided if i will leave them on or not.... it really depends on how stable my rig ends up being with final wieght (i dont have my winch on now, rear bumper, and gear). i few more things you may have to consider are shock mounts ....shocks.... and i have spacers now on my sway bars but i need more now so..... i need to figure that out. its not my DD ....so i can play with all this and see what works best......... not to hijack a thread but any body not run thier sway bars.........?????

16. xl715

xl715

I don't run a front sway bar. I lengthened the rear mounts, but I just totally removed my front. I was origonally going to put it back in if it was scary on the freeway, but it's actually not bad at all. I know someone will say this is a bad idea and blah, blah, unsafe and blah, blah-but if you drive it like a 6" lifted fj80 running 35's and not a ferrari (like it ever handled like one anyway!!) It's not bad. I don't think I'll put mine back in. Unless I get really bored one Sunday!! And even if I do it will just be to see if I can even notice a difference.

17. NW-sickboy

NW-sickboy

[quote author=xl715 link=board=2;threadid=11477;start=msg105432#msg105432 date=1076899643]
    I don't run a front sway bar. I lengthened the rear mounts, but I just totally removed my front. I was origonally going to put it back in if it was scary on the freeway, but it's actually not bad at all. I know someone will say this is a bad idea and blah, blah, unsafe and blah, blah-but if you drive it like a 6" lifted fj80 running 35's and not a ferrari (like it ever handled like one anyway!!) It's not bad. I don't think I'll put mine back in. Unless I get really bored one Sunday!! And even if I do it will just be to see if I can even notice a difference.
    [/quote]...see.. thats what i thought....i have tons of buddies that wheel rigs other than cruisers and all of them just took them off.....getsme HOT just thinking about it........hmmmm.....FLEX

18. xl715

xl715

Hey NW, speaking of flex heres a pic of me doin a little lets see if it'll rub testing at my shop!!