Builds A New 55 Owner Intro (cgn1976 thread) (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If its running good I would do a compression test before anything else! If your numbers are good it could just be 40 years of 🐂💩 just blowing out the back. And for a Noob you should be in Awe at what you accomplished instead of beating yourself up. Don't give U tube and other info too much cred. Stick with common sense 😉🤪

Just like Bob said put some miles on it and use some common sense, keep an eye on your coolant level and oil, keep your trips short until you get it figured out. If the oil starts to get milky or the coolant level is dropping then plan to pull the head.

It’s an easy process. Can’t remember if you’ve changed spark plugs already, but pulling them all is half the battle. Be sure to number your plug wires so they go back in the proper position when finished.

Cody,
Bring your pig over to my place and we'll do a compression test. I've got a compression gauge on the shelf just collecting dust.
Thanks Mark. Will do.

Just spun this bottle as a joke with the crew and guess who won and look who's lookin back... Hahah oink oink

20201023_215206.jpg

20201023_215211.jpg

Did you drain the block when you did water pump 🤔 😳 😐????
I didn't. Should I have? I noticed the coolant is back to the rusty color so the new mixed with what was in the block. Was thinking I'd flush the whole system and get new in there again

Add a few of these.

HDC-PNG1.png
I noticed Bar Leaks also makes a head gasket leak liquid. Any reason these tablets over something like that or even the liquid version of the tablets? I've always been weary of using products like these, but Ill defer to those who know a lot more than me about these rigs!

Any reason these tablets
I can’t point you to anything definitive why one verses the other but this is what I know.

A long time ago I worked in a machine shop that specialized in sprint car engines and the owner dropped a few of these in every engine he built before he put the freeze plugs in, he was the winningest engine builder on the west coast at the time and I always figured if he was doing it then it should be OK. Q & A: The Bailey Brothers with Leroy Van Conett and Jimmy Sills — Rust Magazine

Recently I had the buy a new radiator for the Angry Pig and it had a slight weep between some of the fins. I called the manufacture to ask about my options and they suggested using these same pellets. Not wanting to screw up a $3000.00 radiator I quizzed him a bit and he led me to believe he’s been using them for as long as he’s been in business and never seen any adverse effects.

I don’t believe they will work miracles and repair a blown head gasket but if you have a small weeper they may buy you some time.

So I ran down the Mark's (abqcruiser) and he helped me run a compression test. I owe him one! All 6 between 93 and 96, so all close but a little low. The 2 plugs closest to the fire wall had a little oil there, but not real bad. The others all looked good.

Also, I did a full coolant flush until it ran clean water before I headed down. Still seeing smoke only on deceleration which seems wierd. Didn't find the tablets locally but will give it a shot once I order some.

Thoughts? Still running great. No power loss. Is that compression low enough I should do something about it?

Thanks guys

So I ran down the Mark's (abqcruiser) and he helped me run a compression test. I owe him one! All 6 between 93 and 96, so all close but a little low. The 2 plugs closest to the fire wall had a little oil there, but not real bad. The others all looked good.

Also, I did a full coolant flush until it ran clean water before I headed down. Still seeing smoke only on deceleration which seems wierd. Didn't find the tablets locally but will give it a shot once I order some.

Thoughts? Still running great. No power loss. Is that compression low enough I should do something about it?

Thanks guys

Low compression just means you can run back alley gasoline from Mexico and not worry about detonation. Did you get your timing set?

Recently I had the buy a new radiator for the Angry Pig and it had a slight weep between some of the fins. I called the manufacture to ask about my options and they suggested using these same pellets. Not wanting to screw up a $3000.00 radiator I quizzed him a bit and he led me to believe he’s been using them for as long as he’s been in business and never seen any adverse effects.

$3000 for a radiator... I guess I would hope for a non-leaker at that price-point. I realize these are performance units though, so I might have the wrong set of expectations...

Last edited:
I can’t point you to anything definitive why one verses the other but this is what I know.

A long time ago I worked in a machine shop that specialized in sprint car engines and the owner dropped a few of these in every engine he built before he put the freeze plugs in, he was the winningest engine builder on the west coast at the time and I always figured if he was doing it then it should be OK. Q & A: The Bailey Brothers with Leroy Van Conett and Jimmy Sills — Rust Magazine

Seems like you have had some pretty cool work experiences!

Low compression just means you can run back alley gasoline from Mexico and not worry about detonation. Did you get your timing set?
Haha. Well I got plenty of that dirt juice round here! Timing is set, advanced as as you guys explained. The motor really runs great, I think I'm just over reacting to a little smoke. I wonder if my white smoke isn't as white as I think maybe it's oil burning 🤔...

Mark thought it worth an ask about a valve job and if that would improve compression at all. I mean is the compression low but nothing to really worry about?
Possibly valve seals allowing a little oil by. I would suspect that before rings by the consistent compression numbers. That does tend to be something you can let slide until you get everything you need and get tired of the burning oil smell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom