new 55, carb problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey guys, i am the proud (before this problem ;) ) owner of my 2nd cruiser, a 76 fj55 :grinpimp: its pretty sweet. its not much to look at, but its a lot of fun.

it had a stumble right off idle, it would idle, but when it had a load on, it had no power... kinda had to rap it up to get it to move..

today i thought i would pull the carb off and try the rebuild kit. everything seemed to go smoothly, we did't lose any parts or have any extras...

here is the problem,

the idle screw has no effect over the motor, the motor wont idle at all, and so the idle screw has no effect. it seems like it has a huge vaccum leak somewhere, but we can't find it. we sprayed some carb cleaner around everything, but no change in rpm's or anything... I, nor any of my buddies have any experience with the 2f's, except pullin them out.. i kinda wanna keep this one for some reason..

could it be those carb is just worn out? or is there anything obvious that i missed?

the mechanical idle adjustment screw is all the way out.......

poop.. thanks guys

Yup... yer carb wore out. ;) jk

Probably something small you missed. I've never had a 2f carb apart before so hopefully some of the pros will chime in. Did your kit come with new idle jets or did you change or tamper with the originals?

Like I said, I have limited carb experience but whenever I had idle problems was because the idle jets were clogged or marred. Good luck.

Covered a hundred times or so. If it won't idle, first check to see that the fuel cutoff solenoid is working properly. If so, add that fact to your post.

At the lowest rpm you can keep it running, determine what your vacuum reading is and what your timing is. Post up results of both.

Idle solenoid is (was) working...

The carb ran great when we took it to Moab last spring, but it sat for over 6 months and seems to have fouled up the carb. It runs perfect (sounds perfect) until initial load is placed on the motor... after you rev it up a couple time with no load (clutch in) it seems to get up and go just fine.

I have never professed to be a carb pro, Mark and Jim have that market cornered! :D

Grab some vacuum readings Chris...

ah crap... i guess i will have to go buy a gauge tomorrow... no big deal.. i have never checked vaccum :confused: so this should be intresting......

i will see what i can come up with..

does the carb worn out thing even sound legit? one of the older guys i know, seems like a carb pro, but it sounded weird to me.. never heard anything like that.. :confused:

I'm sure there are many parts on a carb that can "wear" out., but not really the carb itself...

Also Chris, the carb on that 55 is not an OEM 76' Carb, it is an earlier 2bbl, Mark would know for sure.

There's even a handy decoding method using the numbers and letters stamped topside on the air horn sub-assembly. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom