new 5 speed trany win not shift (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I install brand new from the dealer 5-speed transmission
it will not shift at all to any speed
is it locked from the manufacturer or something else is not well

Was the shift lever installed correctly? I.e. are you sure it doesn't think it's in two different gears thus binding things up? Pull the shift lever. Make sure each rail is in neutral and then re-install the lever in the neutral position.

Was the shift lever installed correctly? I.e. are you sure it doesn't think it's in two different gears thus binding things up? Pull the shift lever. Make sure each rail is in neutral and then re-install the lever in the neutral position.
Was just going to mention you in this thread because i seem to remember someone else here that had the same problem

it is sits in the gear no idea which one, but yes I insall it corectly

strate from the dealer I did not open the top of the trany

This happens occasionally.

Realign the selector forks with the cover off. They often ship IN GEAR (presumably to keep things nice and tight for shipping), no shifter. Gotta be put in Neutral BEFORE you put the shifter on. If you do, it won't shift right or at all. You literally have to go in there (doable through the shifter hole, easier with top cover off) with a screwdriver and move stuff around until you get it in N---then put the shifter on. There should be plate with instructions for this task mounted to the top cover of these trannys.

When it's in N, you'll be able to spin it with clutch depressed if the driveshafts are not attached, though it will be tight.

Last edited:
strate from the dealer I did not open the top of the trany

You don't have to open the top of the tranny to slide each selector into neutral.

EDIT: Looks like @Spike Strip explained it more eloquently :D

You do NOT need to remove the top-plate, if you're deft enough to stick a dowel or screwdriver down the shifter tower and move the forks into N position. It's just easier if you remove the cover if you've never done it before or don't know what N position looks/feel like.

Don't forget the OIL!!!

:):grinpimp:

Last edited:
just making sure you have a shifter for an H55, the 4 speed shifter is different

This happens occasionally.

Realign the selector forks with the cover off. They often ship IN GEAR (presumably to keep things nice and tight for shipping), no shifter. Gotta be put in Neutral BEFORE you put the shifter on. If you do, it won't shift right or at all. You literally have to go in there (doable through the shifter hole, easier with top cover off) with a screwdriver and move stuff around until you get it in N---then put the shifter on. There should be plate with instructions for this task mounted to the top cover of these trannys.

When it's in N, you'll be able to spin it with clutch depressed if the driveshafts are not attached, though it will be tight.
Thank YOU very much !!!!

You made my day, I was thinking I did something completely wrong by putting all together, but you are correct! I remove the top trany cover align the gears to neutral, align the forks to neutral, and put the cover back! all works like a swiss watch!

Problem solved!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom