New 40-Question on body sheet metal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

40Man

SILVER Star
Threads
Just picked up an 82 40. Been on Mud for a while, currently have a 200 as well. Trying to figure out where to get some sheet metal parts. First : Has anyone used Cruiser Corp sheet metal? Any other recommended brands?

Second:While there is a good amount of aftermarket sheet metal available, I have not been able to find one of the pieces I need.The side body mount or mid channel support beam (see pic from a CCOT replacement tub) has rusted out. I know I can have a piece fabricated, but I figured if anyone made this part it may be easier to just order one. Any help would be appreciated!

full tub.png

land cruiser.jpg

Last edited:
I used the panels from Real Steel on my rebuild, I have nothing bad to say about any of the metal I got from them. Good prices, solid products.

I could be wrong but I think what you're referring to as a "side body mount" is actually the end of a continuous tube that runs across the body. The part opposite what you have circled in red is the other end of it. The top of the tube looks to me to still be there and is visible on the bottom of the tub. If I were you, I'd fabricate or have some else fabricate a channel section (U-shape) that would extend between the "side body mounts", weld her up and you'd be ready to go. Could be that what I refer to as a tube is actually made up of a channel section with the floor of the tub making up the top side of the tube. Been a while since i crawled around underneath one so I could be wrong.

HTH
Pete

I could be wrong but I think what you're referring to as a "side body mount" is actually the end of a continuous tube that runs across the body. The part opposite what you have circled in red is the other end of it. The top of the tube looks to me to still be there and is visible on the bottom of the tub. If I were you, I'd fabricate or have some else fabricate a channel section (U-shape) that would extend between the "side body mounts", weld her up and you'd be ready to go. Could be that what I refer to as a tube is actually made up of a channel section with the floor of the tub making up the top side of the tube. Been a while since i crawled around underneath one so I could be wrong.

HTH
Pete

Thanks. The picture I posted is from Cool Cruiser's replacement tub. My tub looks to be the same, and the mount on one side is intact. I believe the part is a mid channel support beam, but I can only find replacements for pre 79 frames.
mid-bed-support-channel-front-by-hfs-40-series-1-75-to-12-78-4.jpg

That doesn't look like it would be a hard piece to fab, or to have fabbed. Cut the existing pieces out, have a shop bend that channel up whatever size to match, prime the snot out of the inner channel, and tack it in.

Thanks. The picture I posted is from Cool Cruiser's replacement tub. My tub looks to be the same, and the mount on one side is intact. I believe the part is a mid channel support beam, but I can only find replacements for pre 79 frames.
mid-bed-support-channel-front-by-hfs-40-series-1-75-to-12-78-4.jpg

Thats an early tub, not even close to an '82 like yours.

Thats an early tub, not even close to an '82 like yours.

Understood. As I stated in my post, the only replacements I can find are for pre-79.

@Awl_TEQ has been able to reproduce several sheet metal parts for the later 40s. It might be worth reaching out to him.

I was just browsing through his for sale thread and didn't see a main beam listed or even mentioned there. He would be one of my first choices to reach out to. Shipping shouldn't be too bad to Spokane.

No, I haven't made that part before. Mine just had a small rust hole on one end so I patched it with a little scrap metal. The factory one is kinda odd shaped IIRC. Probably stamped in one piece with all the required geometry built in for the mounts and floor mating. I would't be able to make it properly without having one in hand or at least a tub upside down to measure everything. Even then it might be a little too weird shaped at the ends. It might be easier for you to have a little box shape bent up and weld that in to serve as the body mount - assuming you aren't trying for a perfect factory look.

No, I haven't made that part before. Mine just had a small rust hole on one end so I patched it with a little scrap metal. The factory one is kinda odd shaped IIRC. Probably stamped in one piece with all the required geometry built in for the mounts and floor mating. I would't be able to make it properly without having one in hand or at least a tub upside down to measure everything. Even then it might be a little too weird shaped at the ends. It might be easier for you to have a little box shape bent up and weld that in to serve as the body mount - assuming you aren't trying for a perfect factory look.

Thanks. That is why I was hoping someone was making these, want to make sure that the body sits right. After looking I found another 40 owner that had the same issue. This is what he did:
Center Channel Repair

I may have my fabricator do something like this. I'll update when I figure it out.

Where's the rust you're concerned about? Because from what I can see from your picture the body mount locations look good. There isn't a continuous beam that runs the width of the truck at that point. The ends are open because the body mount bolt is a blind bolt and you need it open to get the retaining clip on.

Can you provide some additional shots or more about the concern you have?

-Geoff

Where's the rust you're concerned about? Because from what I can see from your picture the body mount locations look good. There isn't a continuous beam that runs the width of the truck at that point. The ends are open because the body mount bolt is a blind bolt and you need it open to get the retaining clip on.

-Geoff

Sorry for the confusion. The pic is from a replacement tub online at LC Heaven. Mine is rotted out. A did find a replacement. Will check to see how much it will cost to have it fabbed too.

Land Cruiser Heaven 79+ FJ40 Front Cross member support

-Geoff

Here are the pics of my actual cross member support.

20180113_133608.jpg

20180113_133556.jpg

I had the same issue. As far as my searching nobody makes one. LCH will make you one but it may take a while to get. That's what I did and it's a nice looking piece. Oh and yes it's all one piece.

I used the panels from Real Steel on my rebuild, I have nothing bad to say about any of the metal I got from them. Good prices, solid products.
ive ordered from real steel. Todd is a great dude and always answers the phone. I recommend that you get some etching primer on them pretty quick or they will flash rust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom