New 40 Owner/Member (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. I hope this is in the appropriate section, I looked for a new member thread and didn't see anything. Oh well.

I am 18 years old and am new to cruisers. This is my fourth vehicle and fourth toyota. My first was a hand me down 99 sienna with flame decals, sold that and bought a 99 4runner. Did some stuff with that -- ome lift, 32s, spartan locker, pretty basic. Somewhere during my ownership I bought a non running 85 2wd pickup for $350, adjusted the carb float, and got it going. A couple months back I started dailying the truck, sold the runner, and bought a non running 72 40.

I spent 3 summers working at an all Japanese auto shop, and am a budding welder and fabricator. That being said this is certainly a large project. I usually lurk on forums but joined at the urging of some family and friends who wanted me to document my progress.

Enough about me, on to the truck! It's a 72 FJ40, not running, but according to the previous owner "it was close". A LOT of rust. I should have inspected further, I never would have paid as much as I did. Terrible, thin sheet metal patching all over. You live and you learn. At some point, somebody cut the wiring harness in half, I'd guess it was the same guy who did the patching, added the plywood running boards, and sprayed it awful gray. Poor truck.

It is currently up on stands at my shop, and I am slowly going through the brakes. Next will be to get it running, shocks and tires, and eventually, as money comes in (I am young and there is not a lot of it), body work. I will start a build thread soon.

Sorry for such a lengthy introduction, looking forward to learning and contributing.
Now for some pictures. Carson.

ps - I didn't actually tow it with the pickup, just moved it a short ways haha

IMG_1415.JPG
IMG_1421.JPG
IMG_1439.JPG

Welcome! Get it running and stopping, you got the rest of your life for the fluffy stuff. You'll be suprized what a stock '40 can do.

You'll have fun. My first car was a 1982 FJ40 and lightly restored it, I sold it in 1991, then I had a 1992 fj70, in 1998 a tacoma V6, in 1999 Hilux dual cab a 4 cyl, 1992 SR5 V6, RZJ90 (prado) and now I'm very happy that I bought a 1984 FJ40 and still in the process of buying parts for the resto. You'll spend a lot but also now you've one of the best cars ever built. i think that i'm only going to have toyotas. By the way, now I'm 40 years old in an Fj40 hahahhaa. in the mud you'll find nice people. Welcome and be patient

Thanks all! Hoping just to get it running and driving for now and then a slow resto mod

Congrats ! You get it al done, bit by bit

:cheers:

Looks like another LC owner here in GA! Congrats on the find and welcome to the addiction.

A MUD welcome: :flipoff2:

Welcome to the addiction! The truck does not look that bad--'course there's some evil lurking under the rear quarters--you've come to the right place to help with the restore(as everyone always says--"we need more pictures!)"

I had my first 40 when I was 17, had it for a few years and sold it. (always regretted it) Now 34 years later I have another one that is almost done after about two years or rebuilding it. You will have lots of fun these are great rigs. Welcome to Mud.

where is all this rust you speak of :confused:

welcome to another '72 40 :cheers:

Welcome to the addiction, madness and money pit! :bounce::bounce2:

We need more pics.

Rudi

Rust in the quarters, rockers, floor pans. It's not easy to see from the pics. When I bought it, there was carpeting down, and I didn't really check underneath, pulled up the carpet, and I think it basically needs a whole new tub. Patching could be a nightmare. But I'll upload more pictures when I get home tonight. Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Welcome to the madness :flipoff2:

Welcome to MUD! :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom