new 4 runner electric locker...strength? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Full_Throttle

1985 BJ73 RHD
Threads
Hi,
Im researching rear locker options for my 71 fj40. I currently have an open rear end with faulty drum brakes. It needs a locker and a disk brake conversion. I was looking around to see if I could find an axle to replace it that may already have those parts already, and stumbled upon the 4runner electric locker. Is this axle as strong(I think not, but don't know) or close to the '40? I don't plan on real serious off roading, but I don't want crap stuff either. I don't even know if it is feasable to attempt....axle housing width, ect. I also know that the 4runner is a center housing vs the '40 offset.... What are your guys thoughts? I have a yard that wants $250 for the complete rear end...thats what has my attention the most...:)

Not worth the screwing around it would take to make it work...at least not to me....

How much money are you going to spend to make this "work", beyond the 250.00us?

Are you going to install a new tcase? Mini or 300? What will that cost...

Land Cruiser center sections are larger than the 8" mini centers...and stronger IMO....

ARB, and be done with it.

Good luck!

-Steve

250.00 is a smoking price for that rear end with the e-locker. Here is one option you may want to consider. Buy just the third member and build a mini truck front end with it. As far as the rear end see if you can find a smoking deal on a fzj80 rear end with e-locker. You could have it cut down to match the front and you would have the full floater rear with disk brakes locked front and rear. That would give you a sweet setup for not a whole lot more than an arb. That is if you can do most of the work yourself. Just food for thought.

whatever you are going to do with YOUR truck, I'd scoop the whole rear axle from the 4runner and resell it to a pickup/4runner owner. If it's in reasonable or better shape (ie. low km) you could probably buy an ARB for one of your FJ40 axles. I know that still leaves you still needing brakes, but while installing the ARB, put new axle seals, etc, and just get new drums & cylinders. New drums (the whole system; drums, cylinders, springs, shoes....) work surprisingly well. Easier than sourcing all the domestic calipers, brackets, SAE to metric lines, new rotor machines to fit your axle flanges....

Lockers and the associated axle rebuilts aren't cheap no matter how you look at it. Especially when you start to add the little things like new gear, bearings, seals, brakes, fasteners............

Buy the axle, sell it for the price of an ARB or Detroit..

80 guys like that center section..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom