new 3B turbo install -- revving really high (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Garrett gt2052 etc etc. Same setup as diesel42 puts together.

Got my turbo installation finished today, exhaust installed. It sounds fantastic!

However, I'm in 5th gear doing 35mph and it's going crazy on the RPMs. I don't have a tach though for reference.

So I've done one round of adjusting. I got it down to 10psi, from default 15psi from the factory, (will probably go lower) and I turned up the fuel 1/4 turn. It seems better but it's still revving way too high for the given speed. EGTs are not going above 900 so far, they hit about 1000 when it went to 15psi during the first run.

Any recommendations? More fuel? Ultimately I think I want it around 7-8psi for everyday use.

It is revving while in gear? Like your clutch is slipping, or is it just accelerating hard?

If the latter, check the two hoses coming off of the butterfly valve on the intake and make sure they are seated correctly. Clamp them if you can on both ends, but teh venturi side pops more easily. If you blow one off, the truck will accelerate like crazy until it hits a point where the pump stops the fuel load.

hoses check

Yep I had advanced warning on those hoses and clamped them ahead of time. :)

It's revving high while in gear. ie to get to that 35mph the rpms are getting pretty high but I'm not necessarily putting my foot into it either. It pulls nice and strong from a start like it has more power. Nothing out of the ordinary. I start off in 3rd gear now like it was 1st! But I quickly shift my way up to 5th.

I haven't thought of the clutch slipping, I talked to some other people, they don't think it's the clutch either. It shifts fine, stays in gear etc etc.

Last edited:
Theres no way your truck is revving any faster at 35mph in 5th unless due to a turbo install your clutch is slipping.

questions:
is it revving higher with no extra accelaration at that time?
or is it revving higher and accelerating at the same time?
why are you starting in 3rd gear?
and why are you doing 35mph in 5th? that's a little low for 5th, I'm usually in 3rd, thinking about 4th.

stupid question.... is it in low range?

Yep it's at high RPMs at 35mph in 5th, I'm not going any faster because the RPMs would go through the roof.

I'm starting out in 3rd because 1st gear gets me about 3 feet before I need to shift. 2nd gear gets me another 5 feet. It's accelerating all the way up to 35mph, it's just that it's at high RPMs.

I thought it might be in Low also, I checked that this morning, it drives about the same in 2H or 2L.

well it should not drive the same in Hi or Low, it should be different. A lot different. You must be in low gear on the transfer case. That's the only way you could launch from a stop in 3rd gear easily. Mine in 2nd gear can do it, but it isn't happy and needs a clutch slip.

You're in low gear.

Yep I'm convinced it's stuck in low. I took the tranmission tunnel off and I've shifted it all around and theres no difference in how it drives.

in 4H and 4L the front drive shaft does engage where in '2H' it does not. I don't know how it works internally so I don't know if this should make sense or not.

Maybe I should start a new thread... stuck in low.

with the tranny cover off , watch the action of the linkage running to the Transfercase. see if it looks right, can you put the TC in neutral ?

Make a video of the linkage and post it up here if your not sure . also you can put her up on 4 jack stands and check to see if the front drive shaft turns or stops turning as you work the TC shifter.

I know this issue, check your transfer case linkage, it's a pain to get at, if you can pull off the top access around the shifters and check it there. If the linkage moves freely and engages the pieces that are going into the t case then disconnect the linkage and try doing it by hand with the drive shafts disconnected to see if you feel a gear change. if you move the driveshaft flange on the t case very slowly by hand (with the drive shafts off) and try shifting you should feel a difference. If you don't, then it looks like there's a t case rebuild in your very near future. You are stuck in low range. Not sure which t case you have, if it's the one with 2 linkages, one to beside the front shaft one to on top between the 2 flanges, check there as the little pin that the linkage bolts onto sometimes wears out and drops into the case. I had that issue. If you can, you need to pull off the link, pull up the pin, and try to install the link again and see if you need a bigger bolt or something to keep it up there. If you end up taking the entire thing apart do yourself a favour and drill that pin and put a cotter pin through it so it stops doing that. Good luck.

Fantom, Can you post a picture of what and where your talking about drilling and installing a cotter pin plz ?
Zubrowka , Nice Pics..

VT

I had actually tried removing the shift lever and manually tried moving the levers myself. I'll try removing the drive shafts tomorrow and see if I can get any more clues about what's going on.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll post my findings tomorrow.

which transfer case do you have? is it the one I mentioned? look closely at the linkage that goes on top of the t case to the passanger side top (between the driveshaft outputs). That's your Hi to Low shifter. If it dropped even a little it will affect the shifting.

It's a 'newer' split T-case. I don't know the exact mfg date but I think it's '85. It came from a BJ60 with the higher spline count for the 3B.

It does have the lever down by the front drive shaft the engages the front drive shaft and the lever on top that does the H/L shifting.

Hopefully with your tips I can figure something out without taking the thing apart! :)

Thanks!

Sounds like you're in low range and the high/low shift fork has dropped down and is not making the shift.

The shifter for hi/lo is shown here in the very middle of the picture. The bracket that secures to the post of the shift fork will have come loose and dropped down. The pinch bolt will probably be missing. You might be able to tease the post for the shift fork back up into position, and then resecure the pinch bolt. If not, then you have to take the T'case apart and fix the dropped fork.

~John
shifter.jpg

Jackpot!

That was it! I stuck a screwdriver underneath it and it popped right up and I was able to shift it into high. I felt it click and go into gear. Drove it around and it drives great with that new turbo on it!

Just gotta fix it so it doesn't drop down again.

Thanks! Saved me a bunch of time and $$$!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom