New 315's, not doing serious wheeling until winter's over - new axles or U-joints? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Put some new Duratracs, 315/75/R16, on our cruiser. As preventative maintenance, should I go ahead and buy some beefier birfs, and replace my old U-joints, assuming that my serious wheeling is finished for now? Does it matter for the fairly small amount of on-road driving I do? I understand that I've put more stress on these components with a greater rotating mass...but they work so well on icy snow, and it looks so, so much better than our old 275's.

Just curious if I should prioritize this sort of maintenance over, say, buying sliders or whatnot. Thanks.

Been running 35's for ... 5-6 years now, 1000s of miles off and on road...haven't needed to change any of that.

The wheel bearings get the most stress with bigger tires. If you haven't serviced them in a while you might want to do that and set preload properly. You could certainly hit all the zerks on your drive shafts and u joints with a grease gun if you feel you needed to.

Last edited:
I have wheeled quite a bit on the 315s on the LX - no need to change anything else :meh:

If you haven't greased the zerks, hit those & pop your knuckle pipe plugs & use a chopstick / ziptie & check grease.

Unless the birfs are a clickin' - leave well enough alone. You'll find some other spot that could use that $$$ sometime soon enough.

Get the sliders best thing for off road

Sliders, without a doubt. If you wheel seriously it's just a matter of time before you hit your rockers, and once that's done it's hard to fix.

Stock axles birfs and u joints plus boost and 37s :D

Never had a failure in 10 yrs and ive laid the skinny to it a few times but use my sliders constantly.
IMG_0288.JPG

Something to consider....The upgraded chro mo birf usully has a shorter lifetime expectation. Something to consider if you pour on the miles.

Id not do ujoints because tires but they need maintaining regardless of size. Keep them lubed, knuckles too, and replace/repair when needed.

I imagine that kids smile is about as big a the side mirror covering his face haha.

I just recently moved to 315's... can say there is much of a difference unless I'm going up a steep grade in thin air.
Just drive it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom