new 285's ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking at LT285-75-16, super agressive tread, 8 ply bfg's, 80 psi max $175 ea. They'll throw in a free spare to match diameter. The active radius is 1.1 inch higher than OE's. By the way, what is OME? (I know OE). I don't need the tread but I want the 1.1 inch for Canyonlands/Elephant Hill (which we've done with a Jeep GW and jeep trlr.) Actually I don't need anything more than stock--its just that thoes big tires look really good, you know, "for the mall," or in my case, taking the gandkids to nursery school. So what's my Q? Will these big meats with the stiff sidewalls drive me nuts with noise an rougher ride? (I still hear a lot of the low frequencies:eek: ). I've upped the stock T-bars 1 inch and put AIRLIFT 1000's in the coils. What a great rig---BUT the steering takes a bunch more effort lock-to-lock than the old Jeep GW--oh well, a little PT before Elephant Hill. Actually, El Hill is easy. The tough part is 50 miles of wheeling between camps in the Maze District. Help me!!

Well, those BFG's are going to change your ride from stock especially if you run them at higher pressures. You don't realy want them higher than 45 PSI or you'll be changing lanes without trying. 8 ply side walls are STIFF, that's it, your changing it to really firm and you might not like it. Is it looks your going for? Or trail performance improvement? Are these the Mud Terrains or All Terrains?
Stock 265/70-16 = 31" tires and 285/75-16 = 33" tires
"OME" is "Old Man Emu" products out of Australia. They make a fine line of products for Land Cuisers in shocks, springs, bushings, etc.

Thanks Jeff--that helps. Their AT. Are there any 285's with less agressive tread and less ply in the walls?

Thanks Jeff--that helps. Their AT. Are there any 285's with less agressive tread and less ply in the walls?

The AT's are the quiet ones. You would be OK with these on the 100 as long as you keep the tire pressure around 38-45, and keep them rotated. The BFG AT is a great all around tire for the price, but they are an LT (light truck) rated tire with a stiff sidewall. Look at the Bridgestone Dueler's or Revo's for good ride.

I recently put some 285 BFG AT's on my 100 and while I really like the tread pattern and traction, I think it will be the last set of BFG tires I ever put on one of my vehicles. I have a toyo mini truck with 31 inch BFG AT's and I finally wore out a set of 33 inch BFG MT's on my jeep last year.

After having the tires mounted on the LC, I had a very annoying vibration. After another balance and then finally a road force measurement, one tire was well beyond road force balance specs and one is on the border of being defective.

Initally BFG warranty department said it was not their fault since I was running a larger than stock tire on the LC and I should be running 55 lbs of pressure instead of the 34 I was running. This pissed me off since all of my vehicles run larger than stock tires and the others run very smooth. Yes, there is a stiffer sidewall, and it does ride firmer, but I expect tires to be round, not oblong. I finally threatened to return them all and run Toyo's. After that, they came to their senses and sent me to Discount tire and gave them the authorization to do whatever was needed to make them run better. Discount replaced one and left the marginal one on since it was still inside road force spec. The two "good" tires had 10 lbs of road force and the other two had 33 and 49 lbs respectively.

The MT's on my jeep had roundness issues as well so I'm pretty much done with BFG. Also, they are a French owned company so that doesn't help their case much either.

Adam R.

Thanks for the post Adam R. I had my weights put on the inside of the wheel for better looks and they are not holding and I already have a vibration. I will make sure they read the Toyota notes prior to balancing again and place the weights wherever they are needed. I though it was worth a try.
That just does not sound like BFG/Michelin to say that regarding the tires - I know Discount will give me my money back if not completly satisfied - so I hope you have some luck wherever you purchased them. I know the silent armor tires have even more balance issues and they are starting to discount them because of it. Best of luck

Hi,

I have run both BFG and Goodyear tires on and off road in Jeeps and Toyotas. My experience is that Goodyear products are of higher quality when it comes to trueness, balance, and traction through the life of the tire. That said, my 100 series will be rolling on the new Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor tire. Check em out. http://www.goodyearwrangler.com/ My local tire dealer confirmed that my selection was excellent and recommended these tires for a very smooth true install/balance and drivability,

BFG's have provided excellent wear and drivability for me, but based on my experience, I feel that Goodyear makes a better product.

I'm happy now--285 revos from discount--$960 for five. Also, cranked up the left T-bar to correct a 1" lower left side and to gain another 1". That brought the right side up an inch and level. The left T-bar tweak also leveled the 1" sag in left rear. Added four Billies and Airlift 1000's and now have a 2" lift on all fours--part tires,part air bags and part left T-bar. There's not a lot of room between the 285 spare and the rear muff. 2" maybe. Am I gonna cook the spare?

Last edited:
Pictures???

good choice on the revos. they're a really nice tire.

I'm off to Elephant Hill in SE Utah in the AM. Pictures?? From what I've seen in these threads, pics don't really show a 2" lift and 285's. You gotta experience it. The whole veh moves over speed bumps and rocks, not just the axels. Now if I can cancel the saddle leather squeaks from the 2nd row folded up against the 1st row. What a rig! Maybe I like the squeaks. The whole camping load dropped the receiver hitch 1/2 in. Before the mods it would have been 3".

Be not the last to put the old aside, nor the first for which the new is tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom