New 2021 - First 1000 Miles (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is off-topic as it gets, but there is hope for us ear ringers:

Even if it did make noise I'd still prefer the 8-spd for the better gearing off-road..
Thanks for that article. I wonder how many people can use one of those devices? I would love to try it, Infantry got my ears, no doubt!

This is off-topic as it gets, but there is hope for us ear ringers:

Even if it did make noise I'd still prefer the 8-spd for the better gearing off-road..
Thanks for sharing the article. There were many benefits to being an artilleryman, but I would gladly give this “gift” back.

I think this link may be of interest to the OP.

I find there are two noises in the newer ones that the pre-2016 don't make... the low RPM groan as shown in my post and then a whine most noticeable between 1-2k RPMs in low gears.

FWIW I was in a 2021 last week and it also had both the whine/groan that I have with my 2019. At this point, I am chalking it up to normal operation.

We drove our new LC to Houston and back this morning and neither one of us could detect this transmission whine you all speak of, we never noticed it in our 2019 LX570 either.

I test drove a 2017 with 20K on the ODO and the 8 speed transmission definitely felt a lot different than our 2013 6 speed. I didn't like it, almost felt like it was hunting or constantly looking for the right gear at times. But that could have just been me overanalyzing.

Other than that, nice truck.

We drove our new LC to Houston and back this morning and neither one of us could detect this transmission whine you all speak of, we never noticed it in our 2019 LX570 either.
Hmmm. Curious if the noise is case by case. I have noticed other 2019 LCs in my neighborhood are quieter than mine relative to the noise as discussed in this post.

BTW - Congrats on your 2021. If you don't mind me asking... where did you buy it? I'm actually looking to trade up to a 2021 (bc the "cool" factor of the last year) but they are hard to find in magnetic gray and the local dealers want near MSRP.

I am sure the discrepancy between owners is their experience evaluating and listening to mechanical and rotating machinery.

Hmmm. Curious if the noise is case by case. I have noticed other 2019 LCs in my neighborhood are quieter than mine relative to the noise as discussed in this post.

BTW - Congrats on your 2021. If you don't mind me asking... where did you buy it? I'm actually looking to trade up to a 2021 (bc the "cool" factor of the last year) but they are hard to find in magnetic gray and the local dealers want near MSRP.

I got mine at Keating, it was their last and they don't have anymore allocations. I'd do a search of inventory at dealers in the Houston area and then call and confirm that the vehicle is actually in stock and not already sold or en route. I found a lot of the Land Cruisers shown to be available on Toyota's website were long gone when I contacted the dealers directly.

I am sure the discrepancy between owners is their experience evaluating and listening to mechanical and rotating machinery.

Maybe, maybe not. I do a lot of that for a living so I think I'd be aware of it if it were there and I have owned two 200's with the 8-speed now. I am very in tune with rattles, squeaks and noises as well as they drive me insane, I am also hard of hearing in one of my ears so there's that haha.

I also found that most of the dealer websites are misleading with regard to current inventory. I have a dealer trying to find me one now.

Last edited:
I also found that most of the dealer websites are misleading with regard to current inventory. I have a dealer trying to find me one now.
You are 100% correct. Every dealer is struggling with inventory. If they dont have a picture of the car on their website, and instead have the generic toyota pic, they dont have the car. All dealers by me are playing the game. I think as soon as they have it allocated from the manufacturer they are putting the car on the site.

You are 100% correct. Every dealer is struggling with inventory. If they dont have a picture of the car on their website, and instead have the generic toyota pic, they dont have the car. All dealers by me are playing the game. I think as soon as they have it allocated from the manufacturer they are putting the car on the site.
Not always. My dealer had three and only one with actual pictures which was a demo with 3k miles. The one I bought was with them already for about a month and still on the site had generic picture. One way to see it is google the vin number. If you see the listing for the vin on different sites, you know they don't have it.

Our 2016 LC had a whine at lower speeds and less than 2k RPMs. its was more noticeable coming to a stop sign and the trans downshifting to 2nd and 1st.

3k miles in on my '21. Mods in order: Tint front windows; Pedal Commander; Light bar; Radar detector (Blend Mount with Mirror Tap); CarPlay from NavPlus - feel like I'm ready for the next 100k miles now.
Would it be possible to take a pic of how you did the mirror tap? I’m relocating my V1 and moving it up to the mirror.

While I have a radar detector in my 200, I sort of laugh at the absurdity. These are not rigs where you find yourself either accidentally going 90 or even wanting to. Our 6.7L F350 on the other hand...you sneeze and suddenly you're doing 95.

While I have a radar detector in my 200, I sort of laugh at the absurdity. These are not rigs where you find yourself either accidentally going 90 or even wanting to. Our 6.7L F350 on the other hand...you sneeze and suddenly you're doing 95.
What? They’re incredibly stable at high speeds.

E0B31F91-AAE1-4BD8-8162-3F61D9AB18DD.jpeg

F1F6B3CE-9FA6-4609-BCDC-75BDF287332C.jpeg

8D52B569-20FA-4A93-A9A7-2BFD8F81F133.jpeg

I tend to stay in 75-85 mph range in the 200, but 90-100 mph is plenty stable. Would not spend any extended time at those speeds - it's a high COG truck after all - but when e.g. quickly passing I do not hesitate to venture there if needed.

Most situation with speed traps are in the city where speed are lower, so definitely very useful. Have the V1 Gen 2 and it is awesome with concealed display and OBD Savvy. Very quiet until there is something to worry about. Also LC is very stable at higher speeds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom