New 2006 LX Owner - Son’s first ride (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Folks, new to the forum and forums in general. I’m getting my son a 2006 LX 460 white with 160k. I know the timing belt and water pump have been changed. It’s a two owner and might as well say one. Southern babies vehicle. All I know wrong is the steering column motor is locked up and the a trim piece I can’t find in stock is broke ( see my other threads). Might need a antenna motor for the radio. Im changing the TPMS tire psi monitors. I’m adding the Bluetooth deal you get from crutchfield. The USA box thing. Nitto Ridge grappler 285/65/18.
my question is what would you all do? Like for sure no matter what. Keep in mind. Son turning 16. First ride. I’d like it to last through college. Any help is greatly appreciated.

72E62FB8-AE46-4ACB-BA5E-09461C923EF9.jpeg

Have collision coverage first and foremost. By FAR the most important thing to have for any 16 yo behind the wheel.

My son's first vehicle was a 2000 Land Cruiser, he'll be turning 22 in about 2 weeks, and is still driving the same vehicle.

I'd suggest finding some father/son projects on the vehicle, that gives your son a sense of pride in ownership, and encourages him to take good care of his vehicle.

The silly off road armor (sliders/bumper), that my son absolutely had to have (because of my old 80 series with that equipment), seemed pretty extravagant at the time, but it has saved me quite a bit in body work (most of it not his fault) from high school and college parking lots, and probably prevented it from being totaled when he had his first "F" up (college age). I've also had some fun teaching him about what his vehicle can do off road.

1600133597809.png

1600133615531.png

Cooling system inspection and update. The quintessential heater Ts, and inspect cooling hoses and radiator.

I'd have the front end inspected, and if you don't know when the bearings were repacked I'd do those using the tutorials here to know they are ready for the next 30 to 50k.

Reactions: jLB
What a great first vehicle! My truck was my first ride when I turned 16 as well. Had it for about 10yrs now. I would say don’t do anything in terms of mods besides the tires and Bluetooth dongle. Put your money into maintenance and base lining for right now - heater tees, radiator, starter, alternator, TB/WP, steering rack, all bushings, etc. Then just have him enjoy it until you can both prioritize mods according to your intended use. No use in doing a full expedition build if he’s just going to school and back with the occasional gravel road in between

There isn't a safer vehicle out there for your kid, unless you want him to get a real tank.

Folks, new to the forum and forums in general. I’m getting my son a 2006 LX 460 white with 160k. I know the timing belt and water pump have been changed. It’s a two owner and might as well say one. Southern babies vehicle. All I know wrong is the steering column motor is locked up and the a trim piece I can’t find in stock is broke ( see my other threads). Might need a antenna motor for the radio. Im changing the TPMS tire psi monitors. I’m adding the Bluetooth deal you get from crutchfield. The USA box thing. Nitto Ridge grappler 285/65/18.
my question is what would you all do? Like for sure no matter what. Keep in mind. Son turning 16. First ride. I’d like it to last through college. Any help is greatly appreciated.

View attachment 2436033

Your son is very lucky!

My dad gave me his 92 full size blazer To drive to school. I loved that truck. I keep telling my wife my daughter will drive my land cruiser when she turns 16. She laughs and reminds me she is two. Haha.

My dad taught my brother and I to do basic maintenance on our first vehicles. It sparked something, we know wrench and off road more than my dad ever did.

Check out the faq section for prioritization on maintenance. Lots of great tutorials. From the basic to the holy crap skill level. Check those heater T’s and have a good mechanic give it a once over.

Remember The maintenance needed for a fire road is very different than an expedition to Patagonia. I know that’s blasphemy on this site. Haha.

I THANK all of you for your help on this!! Great advice and so nice of you all to do that for me. I so appreciate it!!

Get familiar with the IH8MUD vendors (there are many)

Learn how to do OEM part price comparisons between online part sellers like:

Get the 5% mud discount/attribution code for www.rockauto.com. Talk to other members on here about which parts on Rock Auto are known to be good.

Develop a keen eye for identifying fake OEM products being sold on eBay and Amazon or only purchase from authorized dealers like the ones listed above.

Stick with Denso, Aisin, Aisan or Hitachi parts unless endorsed here.

"If a parts deal is too good to be true, it probably isn't"

No sir I do not think it has that. I WISH!
Meh, more of a gimmick than anything, but a cool party trick. It's a running joke around here that night view makes or breaks an LX.

Welcome to the wonderful world of 100 ownership! Lucky kid!

There isn't a safer vehicle out there for your kid, unless you want him to get a real tank.
I mean, I'm pretty sure this isn't true

Meh, more of a gimmick than anything, but a cool party trick. It's a running joke around here that night view makes or breaks an LX.

Welcome to the wonderful world of 100 ownership! Lucky kid!
hahah, see, I'm green too

I'm sorry, I didn't mean that. My wife just had a baby and we're taking the same path that you are, do it once and do it right.
Oh, I didn't. I just know my first car was a hand me down from my sister. Just trying to do better than I had. The big thing is him having pride in it and taking care of it. That is going to be the key to it all. I will sure try to get him there.

Have him dump some of his own blood, sweat, tears, and MONEY into it. Value and caring for it will probably pop up immediately.

Skin in the game, as they say.

May I also suggest you get him to pay for some of the baseline costs, be it tools, fluids, filters, etc. Not so much a stereo or big rig bumper. Something he can't quite "enjoy" but adds value and life to the rig, maybe learning some things in the process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom