New 2002 LX470 - Deer Damage!! Need help!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Where to start??

Some idiot hit my Sequoia last February and totalled it. I found this 2002 LX 470 and loved the ride. It's a somewhat daily driver when roads might be questionable.

Had a deer take out my passenger front and cause extensive damage.

Need help locating a passenger fender and headlight assembly and a front bumper and support.

Any help appreciated.

If I can't get something figured out, I might just cut losses and sell.

Lx470 - 3.jpg

Lx470 - 2.jpg

Lx470 - 1.jpg

Lx470 - Damage.jpg

Just did this almost exact deer induced repair to 2000 LC. Used fender eBay (if lucky same color) Headlight, marker lights etc from OEM Parts. Went with an off road bumper as new bumper cover and paint etc was same cost. Might need to pull the front rail that fender attaches to. Can be done slowly if you have a new fender to test fit. Don’t forget to disconnect battery before disassembly. We were $2200 all in vs. $4800 body shop estimate. If you need to paint fender figure $500 more.

Thanks for the advice!! What bumper did you go with? I keep thinking of going off road but the ones I like are usually discontinued.

Thank you. That bumper is long gone!! Appreciate the help looking!!

There is a guy parting out in Utah. He quoted me $400 for the fender and $200 for the airbox. Thoughts?

I smashed mine up good a few years back, in the same spot. It’s really not that much damage, but the insurance co called mine totaled so they could save some $. I was able to continue driving to work when all was said and done. The other car was headed to the junkyard.

These things are tanks. You don’t need to sell the truck over minor damage like that. There’s definitely no frame damage from hitting a deer, so it’s really all cosmetic.

The hood you may be able to salvage. I kept my fender but you’ll probably want a new one. Find a used headlight online or at a junkyard, along with whatever other minor pieces need replacing.

Then use the opportunity to upgrade to a steel bumper with bullbar. There are a number of good options for our trucks. All said and done I spent under $2000 to repair, and the bumper was more than half of that.

It’s really nice to never worry about hitting an animal again, at least as far as it leaving me stranded. I think a deer would explode...

Thank you for the info. Hood seems fine but will know more when I get a new fender. 1 body shop wanted to replace the metal below the airbox? The box is cracked and they said something about hardened steel? I don't know.

I'm hoping to get by with a fender and aftermarket bumper - plus the lights of course.

What is fair for a fender?

If you want it done perfectly like it never happened, and a body shop to do the work, it’ll definitely not going to be cheap. That’s how the insurance co was able to so easily write mine off as totaled.

If you are ok having a less than perfect inner fender (not the fender itself, the body portion it bolts to), I’d just have them grind that down and paint so it won’t rust.

As long as the air filter box fits fine, that shouldn’t be difficult for them to bolt back down. If you had a snorkel, it kinda needs to line up properly in there but looking at the pic I can’t imagine it being too far off as is. Otherwise there isn’t a whole lot going on in that part of the engine bay. I have a compressor behind the air box and just needed to shift the power steering reservoir a little for it to fit. I keep extra fluids between the box and the headlight currently.

Get a new air box if that one is cracked. You could fix it yourself with epoxy, but unless you tested it beforehand I wouldn’t trust it to be airtight. If it’s cracked on the bottom half (pre filtration) it’s less of a worry, but any cracks up top past the filter could let contaminants through. You really don’t want that.

Fender prices when I last checked were a couple hundred and then you’d need to have it painted. Unless you got lucky and found a junkyard with one your color, or someone parting out. I gave up looking when I decided I kinda liked the battle scar (hammered out and painted at least), but you could easily go aftermarket on a part like this to save $ and it wouldn’t really be an issue, I wouldn’t imagine.

The hood looks fine, seems like that would be easy enough to hammer back to shape and hit with some touch up. I can’t imagine that thing being cheap to replace, although maybe relatively easy to find salvage.

To each their own though, you may decide you want things as close to stock as possible and the extra coin worth spending. At close to 400k miles I’m much more concerned with function over form. My $ is spent on trying to get through the next 400k. And fuel 😑

Couple more pics for reference ...

PXL_20211211_231324766.jpg

image (2).jpg

image (1).jpg

Yeah definitely replace the air box, it’s missing a piece right where it seals. No bueno. Bet you can find a used one pretty easily and for much cheaper than new. Or upgrade to the cyclonic filter I’ve seen in a couple rigs!

The damage seems to be very similar to what happened to mine. But yours seems a little bit worse, I didn’t have anything break in the engine compartment (other than the headlight). What I find interesting is mine was vehicle-on-vehicle and yours was a deer, yet yours took a bigger hit. The other car was totaled, I was able to drive away when all was said and done. They really are tanks. Just wouldn’t want to be the other side of the collision. Tell me you got some venison out of this at least 😂

Anyone interested in buying it? I can't seem to find any reasonable parts. The guys parting one out in Utah flaked and quit responding.

I just sourced a ton of parts at the local junkyard (2-hour drive). I got lucky. I know there is some that ship. Also, may want to look at cruiseryard they have some in the parting out section that is in your range. Might even have some similar colors as well. I hate to see this beauty go back on the market before you have gotten a chance to make it your own.
Anyone interested in buying it? I can't seem to find any reasonable parts. The guys parting one out in Utah flaked and quit responding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom