New 200 owner - Lower Control Arms and several other questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just purchased a new to me 2009 Cruiser with 167k on the ODO. The car has excellent service records, and the radiator and water pump were both replaced about 20k miles ago (per Toyota's excellent owner's website). Because the mileage was on the high side (and the used car dealership was on the shady side), I took it to a local Toyota dealership for a pre-purchase inspection. The following items failed: all shocks front & rear, right-hand tie rod end, and ball joints (torn boots). I didn't want the dealership to touch the specialized LC suspension, so I used the repair quote to get the price lowered a bit to $23k (rather than request repairs). Honestly, it seems a little crazy to pay that kind of money for a nearly 10 year old vehicle with so many miles, but the interior looked great and it drove great (even with a shot suspension!). One of my primary concerns was that there was no rust on the frame; this LC spent most of its life in the CA desert, so the undercarriage looked absolutely perfect.

I've been searching lower control arm threads, and I see that the ball joints can be replaced. There seems to be some debate across the web whether the 555 ball joints are as good as OEM. Most land cruiser owners seem to agree that they are of like quality. OK, so I have a number of questions related to the lower control arms and the suspension in general....

Car use case: I'll primarily be driving around the DC suburbs and taking the family on long trips. I'd also like to try renting a camper trailer a few times a year to see how the family likes camping. After the kids get older and I presumably have more free time (let me have my delusions), I'd like to morph the vehicle into more of an adventure mobile to do some cross country trips and mild to moderate off-roading. I'm a semi-experienced amateur mechanic (replaced timing belts, radiator, control arms, full suspension, engine mounts, and other items mostly on Honda and Subaru vehicles. I'm OK with maintaining my Cruiser, and I bought the 4 volume shop manual on eBay (My 03' Pilot manual was the size of 1 of those books!).

1. Would you recommend also replacing the front and rear bushings on the lower control arms?
2. If yes to question 1, would you recommend simply buying new OEM control arms. I've found them for $290 each.
3. Is there a place where you can buy the Toyota OEM lower ball joint? I haven't found one.
4. Would you recommend replacing both tie rod ends? I'm leaning towards yes. They're inexpensive and the car needs an alignment anyway.
5. Replace inner tie-rod? The boot looks pretty dry but no cracking, and honestly the steering seems fine.
6. When inspecting the suspension myself I noticed the sway bar links and rear lower control arms had some cracking in the rubber. Given the mileage and the fact that the vehicle has been subject to desert heat for 10 years, would you recommend replacing these or just see how the car behaves after replacing the other components?
7. The Toyota dealer said the UV joints showed signs of leakage, but they look totally fine to me.
Bonus question 1: I've been considering upgrading the suspension to an aftermarket one. I'm leaning towards just buying OEM for now because the price is pretty cheap, and I need to pass the MD state inspection ASAP. I've never had a car with an aftermarket suspension, is it really an amazing difference for my current use case, or should I just go OEM and then do an upgrade when I become more adventurous? DC traffic is terrible, so there isn't really such thing as "spirited" driving in the area.
Bonus question 2: Any other recommended items I should do to "baseline" the vehicle? I'm having trouble determining how often the transmission fluid should be replaced. All the maintenance literature just said "inspect", and there doesn't appear to be a dipstick or anything to check the color. It seems to have been replaced around 100k or so (don't remember exactly but was noted at some point).

I really appreciate your input, and I'm excited to be part of the amazing ih8mud community!

Last edited:
I realize my first post might be a bit too much. My primary concern is determining the best course of action for the lower control arms. I definitely plan on replacing the ball joints, but I don't know how to determine if the two bushings should be replaced. Are there any obvious signs that they are on the way out? I see Cruiser Outfitters sells the lower ball joints for about $45 each. McGeorge Toyota's website lists the front bushing at $62 and rear bushing for $87. The total for all those parts is $194, and I can buy an new LCA assembly with everything installed for $290. I'm thinking just replace the two ball joints for $90, but I'd prefer not to pull the LCA again in the near future.

Holy wall of text Batman!

Welcome and congratulations on your Land Cruiser. I can’t answer all your questions but I’ll try on the others.

First recommendation: you can make multiple posts to cover your disparate questions. You’ll get better feedback and the thread won’t be as messy with cross-discussion.

1. ? Are they worn?
2. ? OEM seems to be everyone’s suggested practice, unless a manufacturer is known to be the supplier, then aftermarket is ok.
3. See @beno
4. If they’re cheap and will give you comfort... you’ve answered your own question.
5., 6., & 7. ?
B1. Most go with an aftermarket suspension. Either simple spring upgrade or all new struts. Most everyone agrees the ride is better.
B2. At 167k and not knowing the full history, I’d change every fluid. There a many posts in each type.

Thanks for the suggestions! I looked at the LCAs again and decided to replace the whole assembly as the visible portion of the bushings looked worn. I went with the OEM suspension for now, but I bought the front spacers. I'll go with aftermarket when I get more daring and am not in a crunch to pass the state inspection. I bought the tie-rod ends, not sure why I even asked that.

Changing all the fluids seems like a great idea! I'm going to defer the other items for now.

I just upgraded my suspension and have the stock stuff if you need it. I'm in Northern VA. Rosslyn Auto Body did the work on my truck so they can probably help you too. I have the front coilovers, rear springs and shocks. Let me know if you want it.

I also have to replace the lower control arm and surrounding bushings and was quoted $450 for labor if I provided all the parts.

I went full Tough Dog and got it from Jason at Trail Tailor. The ride is much better and fully adjustable which is awesome. The truck feels like it floated over the sand instead of bouncing all over the place when it was stock. Plus no droop when towing.

Thanks for the offer! How many miles are on your stock set? I ordered the OEM suspension yesterday, but I could probably cancel it. Where are you ordering the control arms? I'd love to check out your LC sometime. Mine is currently pretty bouncy, but I'm holding judgment until I've repaired it.

I was planning to get the Tough Dog suspension, but they're currently waiting on stock (about 2-3 weeks). I only have about 25 days to finish the state inspection.

I plan to do the work myself to get to know my LC and save some money. I bought the 09 repair manuals. I've done control arms on a Honda Pilot and a Subaru Impreza. The Pilot was pretty uncooperative, but the Subaru wasn't too bad.

55k on the stock stuff and nothing was wrong with them prior to removing them. I haven't ordered the lca bushings or uca yet. Going to wait on it til I absolutely have to change it out. I'm planning to use the stock LCA and change out the bushings but get the Superpro UCA.

PM me and I'll send you my info. We can meet up anytime. I'll be busy this Friday and Saturday though. Anytime during the week is fine. Btw, no charge on the items you're getting from me. I'll be more than willing to try to help you with your truck my my schedule allows.

Have you tried to loosen the KDSS allen bolts yet? Those things are a nightmare! I had to weld a nut onto one of the bolts because the Allen key broke in it. Look up stuck KDSS in the forum and you'll find out what I'm talking about.

I sprayed the bolts for a full week with Silikroil before attempting to loosen the bolts and only one worked.

55k you say? I'll take them! I'll give the dealership a call tomorrow and see if I can cancel that part of the order. I haven't tried to open the KDSS valve yet. I'm hopeful that it won't be too bad because there is no rust on anything.

Have you ordered the LCA bushings yet? You can have my LCAs if they look better than yours. The metal looks perfect. I have a shop press, so I could press the new bushings in. I just bought the assmblies so I could throw them when I did the suspension. I'll PM you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom