"New" 1FZ OEM Power Steering Pump - Question

Hello experts,

I just purchased what was supposed to be a new OEM Toyota power steering pump online from a somewhat reputable seller (depends on who you ask - reviews are mixed).
I received the pump this morning and I am not convinced that it is new.
First warning sign is that it is missing the box and was just delivered wrapped in bubble wrap in a USPS priority mail box.
When I unwrapped the pump, I noticed that it was very oily and showed some signs of possible use - marks and small dents. This is another warning sign for me since I have never purchased a new part that is already oily.

The pump is definitely an OEM pump but I am questioning if it is actually new. It seems to me like it might be a reman/rebuilt unit.

Before I message the seller, I just wanted to know if anyone has experience with new pumps and if its possible they can be oily for some reason.
I do not want to falsely accuse them of selling me a rebuilt pump as new. I did not take a pic this morning but I can upload one when I get home later tonight.

Thanks!

It should be made of cast iron. As such it should also have a *thin* protective oily film.
This doesn't preclude it NOT being new. It's just how they ship normally.

It should be made of cast iron. As such it should also have a *thin* protective oily film.
This doesn't preclude it NOT being new. It's just how they ship normally.
Awesome!
Thank you so much for confirming. The oily-ness that I noticed is most likely the protective film you mentioned. I will go ahead and get this pump installed now. I am also replacing the reservoir and hoses while I am at it. Wish me luck!

Top Bottom