New 1fz-fe owner (94) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would climb under there and look/feel around. It's purely a mechanical linkage. If I remember correctly, it's just a rod that connects to the shift lever, then it goes back, over the top of the transfer case, where it connects to to an arm on the transfer case. There should be a bit of rotational slop. If there isn't, something's seized.

That's going to be fun...

View attachment 3043652

View attachment 3043653

View attachment 3043654
You’re the man!

I’m old school and don’t trust any of these knuckle busters on Mud so I read a lot beginning in February 2014 until my eyes bleed mud and then I read some more. This is the only way to know what you are dealing with and the best plan of action based on your particular rig.

Attempting to know what you want to know by asking one question is impossible.

I’m old school and don’t trust any of these knuckle busters on Mud so I read a lot beginning in February 2014 until my eyes bleed mud and then I read some more. This is the only way to know what you are dealing with and the best plan of action based on your particular rig.

Attempting to know what you want to know by asking one question is impossible.
What's the difference :zilla:

Try spraying it with WD-40 it your favourite flavour penetrating lube and see if it frees up.

I had to pull mine out, and disassemble the whole mechanism.
Mine was clean, no rust etc, just frozen with gummed up grease.
Degreased, regreased, reassembled, and good to go
You mean you pulled the transfer case out entirely? If so, how tough is the job? I'm in the process of doing what Broski suggested in removing the console and the (brass colored) plate that lies between the tub and the shift linkage. It's a job I can probably get to this afternoon, but if the lever won't free up, I'll probably have to pull the T-case. I don't have a spare to put in there, so I'm trying to be extra careful in not breaking anything. On the plus side I did find $7.25 in change when I pulled the plastic cover and middle console out...so I'm about 1/2 way to a case of beer.

@gummycarbs - Thanks! I have a pdf of the FSM, but hadn't pinpointed what exactly I needed to look at to figure out why the fuse or solenoid is being jumped. Hopefully it's just something that's dirty or a plug and play replacement. It's functional for now, but I really don't like the hack n slash way it's been "fixed" so I'll figure it out before I start driving the vehicle in earnest.

You mean you pulled the transfer case out entirely? If so, how tough is the job? I'm in the process of doing what Broski suggested in removing the console and the (brass colored) plate that lies between the tub and the shift linkage. It's a job I can probably get to this afternoon, but if the lever won't free up, I'll probably have to pull the T-case. I don't have a spare to put in there, so I'm trying to be extra careful in not breaking anything. On the plus side I did find $7.25 in change when I pulled the plastic cover and middle console out...so I'm about 1/2 way to a case of beer.

@gummycarbs - Thanks! I have a pdf of the FSM, but hadn't pinpointed what exactly I needed to look at to figure out why the fuse or solenoid is being jumped. Hopefully it's just something that's dirty or a plug and play replacement. It's functional for now, but I really don't like the hack n slash way it's been "fixed" so I'll figure it out before I start driving the vehicle in earnest.
No Mudgudgeon was talking about the linkage it self.

Like someone else said pull the pin at the bottom of the linkage then try to move the shifter if it moves then you know it's internal.

These transfer cases are pretty stout and rarely fail, probably the linkage is the issue ;)

No Mudgudgeon was talking about the linkage it self.

Like someone else said pull the pin at the bottom of the linkage then try to move the shifter if it moves then you know it's internal.

These transfer cases are pretty stout and rarely fail, probably the linkage is the issue ;)
Sounds good. I'm gonna go in through the cab and work top to bottom. I should have it sorted by today or tomorrow. Appreciate all the help guys!

Sounds good. I'm gonna go in through the cab and work top to bottom. I should have it sorted by today or tomorrow. Appreciate all the help guys!
Keep us posted :cool:

On the plus side I did find $7.25 in change when I pulled the plastic cover and middle console out...so I'm about 1/2 way to a case of beer.

That would buy you two bottles of beer from the bottle-o here. But not those craft beers, not imported beers . . .

images (1).jpeg

Or one Schooner of beer from the pub . . .

If you like the cheap beer

images.jpeg

Thanks fellas. It's discs all around and needs new ones, so those are on order and I'm going to start there. Did the fluids (coolant and oil) today. I skipped the atf because it looks pretty good..you guys think I should do that too or just leave it? I did read the FAQs and found a fsm pdf, so I know enough to be dangerous right now. Theres a wrecked lx450 at the pick n pull near me... Anything I should make sure to grab ?
Someone might have said this already but if you are replacing discs up front just combine that with a knuckle service and new bearings.

Welcome, I didn't read everything to this point because you need to know about the TOYOTA FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL. This year I updated the 94 FSM and combined all of the old files into one organized and bookmarked awesome PDF it is available through the link in my description at the resources page. If you have the old version of the FSM where everything is in weird file paths, get rid of it and download a copy of the new on to every one of your electronic devices, save it to your google drive, it's the bible for your rig, treat it as such. Reference it for everything you plan to do on your rig, read through it before coming here to start a new "whats wrong with my rig" thread.

If you have gone through the FSM and tried to figure things out before starting the "real-time help needed" thread you will get much better advice that will be more on point. Short of taking your rig to a Toyota shop this is the fastest method to resolve any issues.

Okay, so I got the shifter out and it's obviously not the problem as it moved forward and backward easily. I put a screwdriver through the linkage to the tcase and gave it a robust tug forward with no movement in the linkage. I didn't go full hulk on it, but i figured that triple the force you'd put on it to shift it normally should be enough. It was mentioned and from research it seems true that transfer case failures are rare, but it's starting to look that way. The FSM doesn't give much in the way of troubleshooting beyond disassemble and repair.

Like I said, get under there and feel around. For all you know, there's something jammed in there between the lever on the transfer case and the body of the vehicle.

It's been several years since I had a loose transfer case to play with, but I think it's *extremely* unlikely that the internals are rusted.

Have you checked the fluid level ?

Also you could can put it back together and try gently rocking the car back and forth going from forward to reverse while trying to shift into low.

It's likely hasn't been shifted into low range in a long time or possibly ever.

Dude Really 🤷‍♂️
what.

nothing I wrote was meant to be condescending, this is a 'hi I'm new here' thread. I think I know you enough to assume that you think people should be consulting the FSM and trying to do some basic troubleshooting before posting RTH threads right?

what.

nothing I wrote was meant to be condescending, this is a 'hi I'm new here' thread. I think I know you enough to assume that you think people should be consulting the FSM and trying to do some basic troubleshooting before posting RTH threads right?
It's not a RTH thread, he has a right to start a thread !

And the people helping him don't seem to mind including me.

Like I said, get under there and feel around. For all you know, there's something jammed in there between the lever on the transfer case and the body of the vehicle.

It's been several years since I had a loose transfer case to play with, but I think it's *extremely* unlikely that the internals are rusted.
I had trouble reaching up from under but felt around through the tub and was able to reach all the way to where it connects with the case. I didn't feel any debris but did manage to soak it in PB blaster so maybe some will leak through
Have you checked the fluid level ?

Also you could can put it back together and try gently rocking the car back and forth going from forward to reverse while trying to shift into low.

It's likely hasn't been shifted into low range in a long time or possibly ever.
Yeah shoulda checked the fluid level...that'll be on the menu tomorrow. It was on my list of fluids to change, but I wanted to take care of this stuff first. I like the idea of moving the truck back and forth too. Thanks! I'll see if I can get some better pics of the linkage and post them for whatever that's worth too.

It's not a RTH thread, he has a right to start a thread !

And the people helping him don't seem to mind including me.
Easy bro, I meant no offense. If you go back and read my first sentence I clearly stated that I skipped to the end and didn't read anything other than the 'hey it's my first post here and I have an 80!' original post. I was just welcoming him and giving him some sage advice about the good book. I see now that there is RTH going on but I wasn't taking a dig at that. So sorry if I offended I was just trying to welcome the guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom