New 1995 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ73 Owner (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New 1995 FZJ73 LC Owner here.

I drove a nice 79 FJ40 back in high school in the late 80s and have had numerous Jeeps and currently have a nicely modded Rubicon. This LC is my first one in over 30 years. I spent some time in South America from 2002-2012 and fell in love with the Series 70 LCs I saw there and I’m really glad to own one now. Now comes the fun part......MODS !!!!!!

I have read through the forum here some but still have a few good questions that I was hoping those with years of experience could help me out with and give me some direction and advice.

1. The vehicle is stock height with 31” tires. I’m planning on running 33’s so what’s a good lift to look at. This vehicle will be on 99% asphalt so the main reason for the lift is looks and to clear the 33s and not really off-road performance although quality of ride is important.

2. The vehicle is currently riding on 15” steelies, which I plan on keeping, as I like the look. I will probably use some spacers to get the wheels out to the fenders. Any spacers better than others for this ? Any max width to not go beyond.

3. I noticed the spare is on the right side door but it seems a 33” tire would probably crossover to the left door making opening that door first impossible. How are owners getting around that issue?

4. I may replace the stock front and rear bumpers with a more off-road version, mainly for looks, but still may run a winch as well. I really like the low profile look of this style bumper. Anyone direct me toward this style front and rear bumper that is complete and doesn’t need to be fabricated and welded By the purchaser?
Coastal Offroad

Again, thanks for helping a newbie navigate through the new 70 series waters.
ASO544

some pics ........

zMWl7Eo.jpg

T4eKPJW.jpg

9RFlwa9.jpg

tRAThXf.jpg

That thing is Clean! Congratulations. Are you going to share any procurement details? Also, what is that shiny tube fitting that looks like it's attached to your exhaust manifold heat shield?

That is a really nice FZJ73.

wow..... clean...

Gotta figure out my lift as I got my tires waiting semi-patiently

MIOMptG.jpg

YjSDOT5.jpg

also, if any of you have worn out keys. My 95 FZJ uses the TR33 key blank.

1Pdjfut.jpg

ZHe9THJ.jpg

finally....a little added lineage

taK2Uzo.jpg

I’ll do my best to answer your questions:

1. Hard to beat Old Man Emu, Cruiser Outfitters can set you up with the correct springs for your needs.

2. I would see how it looks with the new tires and try to avoid spacers, that being said Spidertrax is the way to go. I have used them with great success in the past.

3. I have BFG 33x10.5 and have no issue cleaning the left door. What you will run into is the bumper. I had to flip the mount over and modify it to clear the wiper, it was easy but the tire sits at the same slight angle as the door not perfectly vertical like stock because of flipping it. It doesn’t bother me but will require more fabrication to sit vertically like stock. I also had to add a 1” wheel spacer to clear the wiper with the 10.5 so you may need more to clear a 12.5.

4. ARB is the classic front bumper also Expedition One through Cruiser Outfitters and Trail Taylor make nice bumpers.

Looks like you have a fine specimen enjoy it and hopefully we can start to change that 99% asphalt figure!

What the hell is this thing and do I need it?

MLAAkeq.jpg

Hello,

It is a small silencer that fills in for the catalytic converter and the oxygen sensor. Think of it as an intermediate stage between the exhaust manifold and the main silencer/muffler.

Can you live without it? Yes. However, you will need to cut it from the exhaust manifold and fabricate a flange to bolt whatever exhaust piping you decide to use in.

EDIT: Bottom line: you can live without it but it is not worth the effort unless you want to change the whole exhaust piping from the manifold on.

Juan

Last edited:
Any negatives for keeping it or removing it? It’s placement isn’t exactly appealing as far as looks .

Well..... Think I’m done for now. Didn’t really need a lift for my driving....or at least as of now. The tires fit fine with no rubbing. May see a few raindrops in the pics as the rain caught me.

tomorrow I’m going to pull the interior and door panels to add some sound deadening and insulation.

You can forget getting gas as it turns into a 20 minute talk about he LC !!!!

CyXkfMl.jpg

Sk3mROs.jpg
Euk87m4.jpg
tvCnzHP.jpg
mdLVIcm.jpg
CPyi0k7.jpg
jXn1TYz.jpg
JO1Jsgo.jpg
z6x6Oz6.jpg
DNmXtbw.jpg
RtOKp0G.jpg
Mw7kkFC.jpg
PhtDIWv.jpg
ChXZsb6.jpg
zYYXbB5.jpg
kLnBJ56.jpg
CozNjZ0.jpg
fuEJYX7.jpg
EPIYfr2.jpg
qeJORvB.jpg

For 99% road use , I would get 32 inch tyres on 16 inch rims with a road bias tread. Dobinsons make a good suspension kit for these.
No need for spacers.

Got plenty of sound deadening and insulation installed today. Was amazed at how clean and solid the floor pans were. It is definitely a noticeable decease in vehicle and road noise.

Cu4b16C.jpg
hQrK53A.jpg

pO4KDGq.jpg

VyYa42C.jpg
n9eHQFo.jpg
yW6pNqb.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom