New 1989 FJ62 owner-I'm sure these won't be my first questions..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey,

New to ihmud and new to Cruisers. We've wanted one for a long time and finally made the plunge-I found a 1989 FJ62 in amazing condition and now she has a 2021. So we are IN!

The '89 FJ62 is in amazing shape for 280K miles with most of that spent in the south-no rust anywhere!! It sat for 4+ years before I purchased so currently just about every seal and gasket that can leak is being replaced (because they all leaked). I'm gathering info and suppliers to start my journey and have some questions and looking for input. I'm not aiming for a complete original restoration but rather a functional truck that can get me around, be interesting and have some personal "custom" touches.

We live in McCall ID so there's many opportunities to explore "off-road" right out our back door. I'm hoping to make it dependable and be able to do some backcountry camping adventures in something that works, is tight and has my stamp on it.

First question:The dash pad has a lot of cracks due to sun exposure. I've been able to locate a new pad but it's $600. I've done some fabrication in the past with air cooled VWs and replaced the dash pad with various materials (billet aluminum plates, plywood, etc). Has anyone replaced the dash pad with something home brew that worked with the rest of the instrument cluster?

That's it for now!

thanks,
Brian K

CityRacerLLC has FJ62 OEM Dash Pads (in dark grey) for $470. Click Here
There are a few aftermarket ones but I can’t speak to the quality.

Last edited:
Welcome to the madness! Dashpad covers are available as well

I got a dash cap for mine from SOR years ago. It was relatively cheap and an easy job. Replacing entire dash would be a PITA.

There used to be a MUD member named IDave from McCall. He was an MD I believe. Great guy, hasn't been active for many years. He had a 40 and maybe a 45 pickup as I recall.

There are dash caps for $149 that many people use, and for brown dashes, it's your only choice.

Oh, and please post pix or your truck doesn't exist. ;)
Lawn darts.......can;t believe they were banned.!!

There was just a thread on here where someone detailed repairing the cracks on their 60 dash and it came out really good.

Welcome and we love pictures! What I've been doing for the last couple years is using PartSouq. I keep a running list of items that come up on my 62 - brittle overflow reservoir, washer reservoir cap, etc. and once I've got a good pile in the cart I place the order. Shipping on one item from the UAE is pricey. Shipping on a few hundred dollars worth of items is not bad - especially when you consider the savings. I have an OEM dash pad in my cart right now - $310.51.

Welcome aboard. My truck is incontinent of most fluids as well but she's gotten control of her bladder for now since I removed it. Oh, forgot it's on backorder! Mishimoto radiator that is. It is great to get feedback from the knowledgeable folks. I wouldn't consider myself one yet however.... d

I think @Beehanger is up in your neck of the woods.
You made a good call I think, Did a similar thing earlier this year--rust free but needs some maintenance to get him "functional" and even meaner. Just moved to Hagerman down south aways for a few months-- im trying to teach myself to wrench right now while working on the family farm. im sending the motor out to get rebuilt soon. Let me know if you're in the neighborhood, I sometimes stop by mccall myself. Welcome to the rat race!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom